• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Overnight Bike Parking in Downtown San Antonio - Yuck!

Reaction score
I spent the night in San Antonio last night at one of the downtown hotels, keeping my wife company as she was there for a conference starting this morning. Looking for a place to park the bike for the night, it seemed there were no options to paying the extortionate rates charged to the cagers to park anywhere near downtown.

After making about 3 laps of downtown, trying to see what was available, I finally paid $11 to park in a city parking garage, but then was charged another $11 leaving this morning as the parking passes expire at 3 AM. :eek2: When I asked about the posted $9 rate, I was told, "That's on weekdays. Weekends are $11."

I felt used and abused, dazed and confused, battered and bruised. That's in addition to the bad taste in my mouth.

nomotorcycles.gif

Anybody know any more reasonable options for parking a bike overnight in or near downtown San Antonio? It's a completely different experience from Austin or Corpus. As it is, the next time my wife asks me to accompany her at a hotel there for the night, my answer will be, "No thank you very much!"

roll it up the curb, through the lobby and into the elevator and take it in the room with you! :lol2:

Snoopster and I went to SA last year. I was shocked that in addition to paying what I consider to be an overpriced amount for a room that they wanted and additional $35 to park at the hotel. We ended up at the Red Roof Inn. It was on the other side of the freeway but in walking distance of the original hotel. They had free parking for guest.

Think SA is bad, look at nearly any other large city. We paid $159 a night for a room on the loop in Chicago and a vehicle would have been an additional $75 a day! It was literally cheaper to fly or take the train than have to pay for parking.

roll it up the curb, through the lobby and into the elevator and take it in the room with you! :lol2:

If I was in Mexico, that's probably what I would do.

Think SA is bad, look at nearly any other large city. We paid $159 a night for a room on the loop in Chicago and a vehicle would have been an additional $75 a day! It was literally cheaper to fly or take the train than have to pay for parking.

Austin, by contrast lets bikes park free on any city parking spots. I appreciate places that treat motorcycles as a solution, rather than a problem.

I stay at a lot of holiday inn express

And we are always told to or allowed to park the bikes directly I from and to the side of the main entrance

That is the norm in all downtown areas for all business class or luxury hotels. When I was a frequent business traveler, I quickly learned that in places like Chicago, airport buses and an occasional taxi were far cheaper than parking a rent car. Once in a while, I could call ahead & get a promise of a parking pass.

In downtown San Antonio, you might find free parking by staying at the Knight's Inn or some such. But then, you'd be in downtown San Antonio, sleeping at the Knight's Inn or some such.

We stayed at La Quinta in downtown SA recently and they had free parking passes. Even had some "gimme" passes to park if you went to certain restaurants downtown.

Any youth hostel options or couch surfing via AirBnB? Some people rave about the service and many hotels are griping about lost revenue via sales tax etc.

Perhaps contact an nearby home owner, church, etc. about parking in their space for a minimal fee?

...just bring a Xena disc lock and a bike cover for added comfort.

RB

If I'm staying downtown SA and I'm on the bike, I'd happily pay an extra $22 to have my bike in a (relatively speaking) secure parking garage. The last time I did that, in fact. I [parked in a corner space sort of hidden by my wife's car. I slept quite soundly.
At the Adolphus in Dallas, they once insisted all parking was valet only. I balked at that; they did eventually let me self-park.

Our office is less than 10 minutes from downtown, I could let you park it inside the warehouse overnight we close at 5 and someone is there by 7:30 we out of 7 guys in the office 4 of us ride so the others are used to not touching the bikes

Remember San Antonio is the most popular tourist destination in Texas and most of those people want the river walk area so it's a bad place for a good deal especially during the summer

Yeah we were amazed at the rates when we went a month ago. We stayed at El Tropicano and had reduced rate but it was still $9/night.

I would stay at a chain hotel if it was me but it wasn't my choice. :doh:

Our office is less than 10 minutes from downtown, I could let you park it inside the warehouse overnight we close at 5 and someone is there by 7:30 we out of 7 guys in the office 4 of us ride so the others are used to not touching the bikes

Remember San Antonio is the most popular tourist destination in Texas and most of those people want the river walk area so it's a bad place for a good deal especially during the summer

That's a generous offer, Bud, but I don't find myself in downtown SA very often. Thank you, though.

...a bad place for a good deal... Very well put. I think you've hit on it. I also think the next time my wife is there, she'll look for someplace more accommodating on parking.

There is 'free' bike parking in the lot across the street from Howl at the Moon. I have pulled my bike through the poles they have to prevent cars from getting in/out and parked there many times. You will always see a group of bikes/scooters there. Now that being said, I would be leery of leaving it there overnight as it is just out there in the open. What sucks is that many garages even prevent motorcycles from parking in there at all.

Back