• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

klr650 doohickey

mojo

Reaction score
can any one tell me if the doohickey problem has been fixed in the 2013 models or should I just go ahead and plan on making the repair.

The doohickey itself is better-made in the second generation KLRs, but the spring is still prone to failure. The general thinking is that while you're in there changing to a torsion spring, you might as well change to a one-piece machined doohickey as well.

Best of luck (I haven't changed mine yet on my '09, but I don't have 7,000 miles yet either, and at the last oil change the spring was definitely still good).

thanks for the information, I only have 1K on mine so far . is there a way to check it with out tearing into the motor?

I think it's a big job. I wouldn't worry about it. You have a one year warranty. If it blows up, it's Kawasaki's problem.

As long as you don't try the readjust the chain tension, it won't do anything bad even if the spring is loose. The spring is just there for adjustment.

What he said, about warranty. However, if you DO adjust the spring tension and hear the doohickey "snick" the chain tight, you know it's working. If you DON'T hear, of course, you have no idea whether it's busted or not - maybe the chain was already snug, maybe it moved smoothly instead of sharply...and maybe the spring is chopped up in little pieces and jammed in the intake screen for the oil pump. I still mean to do mine, just haven't gotten to it.

I think it's a big job. I wouldn't worry about it. You have a one year warranty. If it blows up, it's Kawasaki's problem.

As long as you don't try the readjust the chain tension, it won't do anything bad even if the spring is loose. The spring is just there for adjustment.

For those unwilling or unable to do maintenance this is a great plan. For all others...... Ignoring a known issue with a simple known fix that can be done with basic tools in a home garage on the riders timeline with a pot of coffee on . Music playing in the back ground and no worries about the quality of work done makes more sense than the let it fail and see if the local dealer can get you in to the line up in a few weeks and if they agree it's a warranty repair.

Last edited:
^^^+1^^^

The more you know about the bike and the better prepped it is the less likely you are to be 'that guy'.

When I had my KLR I did my doo, It is an EASY job. Tricepilot was helping people do theirs at his house :clap: Don`t know if he is anymore though.

What are you going to ride if it "blows up " :lol2: :doh:

For those unwilling or unable to do maintenance this is a great plan. For all others...... Ignoring a known issue with a simple known fix that can be done with basic tools in a home garage on the riders timeline with a pot of coffee on . Music playing in the back ground and no worries about the quality of work done makes more sense than the let it fail and see if the local dealer can get you in to the line up in a few weeks and if they agree it's a warranty repair.

I'm just saying it's most likely not going to fail on you on the first year of ownership. Otherwise, Kawasaki would be getting a flood of broken KLR under warranty repair. Kawasaki and K mechanics don't even ackknowledge there is a problem with the doohick.

I'm just saying you may not even keep the bike very long, like I. I sold mine after a few months. Why open up the engine and take chance of breaking something, when the risk of doohick failure is so low.

Could'nt hurt to do it. I've got almost 70k on my 03. Now that is broken in and I've decided to keep it I may do mine.:eek2:

My favorite Doohickie discovery out of the 30 or so Doohickie-ectomy jobs I've done was the brand new bike that had no spring installed at the factory

Out of the 30, probably a half dozen broken springs

Only 1 completely broken doo

It is a simple job, but a lot can go wrong

Most dangerous is pulling out the eccentric shaft. That ends the job and you have to tear into the engine.

Most annoying is dropping the starter clusters and not knowing how they go back together.

I invested in several electronic torque wrenches. You need to know the torque values and abide by them.

And no, I do not have my Doohickie wrench.

I knew if I kept it I would be pulled out of retirement :lol2:

My favorite Doohickie discovery out of the 30 or so Doohickie-ectomy jobs I've done was the brand new bike that had no spring installed at the factory

Out of the 30, probably a half dozen broken springs

Only 1 completely broken doo

It is a simple job, but a lot can go wrong

Most dangerous is pulling out the eccentric shaft. That ends the job and you have to tear into the engine.

Most annoying is dropping the starter clusters and not knowing how they go back together.

I invested in several electronic torque wrenches. You need to know the torque values and abide by them.

And no, I do not have my Doohickie wrench.

I knew if I kept it I would be pulled out of retirement :lol2:

you just made Salma Hayek CRY!!! shame on you!!

th?id=H.5040574791353182&pid=15.jpg

This isn't exactly tearing into an engine. I did my 08, after buying it used, because I didn't know if previous owner did it. The stock spring had zero tension on the adjuster ... absolutely none at all. The bike did not have a functional cam chain tensioner. Still amazing when I think about it. I would rate it a fairly easy job but I grew up working on cars so I'd have something to drive.

Back