• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

laced vs mag

Reaction score
with the development of strong light metals, why do most dual sport, dirt bikes still have laced wire wheels? why not a lightweight cast wheel?

A standard spoke wheel can flex to help absorb the irregularities of off road travel.

yep, light weight cast wheels are brittle and wont take the off road abuse.

Alloy wheels work just fine for old farts like me that don't abuse their bikes any longer. For the ... gravel rds, river crossings, jeep trails ... I ride I think alloy wheels would be sweet. No tire irons, no tubes, no wedge buster, no tire pulling stand, no hammer, no tube patch kit ... and def no cussing!

Alloy wheels would be good for supermotos that don't get jumped. As OldTLSDoug and DancesWithCurves found out, you can spin the valve stem off a tube with repeated wheelies. :D

Back