• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Around the Bend rally - March 23 - 26, 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Gibbens
Update 3/10/2017: Breakfast on Friday and Saturday morning has been moved to the Big Bend Motor Inn Café/restaurant. They are opening their doors for us at 6:30 am.

Update 3/9/2017: Early registration has ended. If you want to attend the rally but missed registration, you can still sign up. Note that the commemorative mugs have been ordered so those registering late likely won't receive one. However, late registrations get everything else included with the rally.

Mark your calendar: The Around the Bend rally in Terlingua, TX is scheduled for March 23 -26, 2017.

IMG_5597_edited-1-XL.jpg

I'm organizing the rally this year and JT (John Thompson) and SpiritAtBay (Gina) will be running things on the ground in Terlingua.

The Around the Bend rally is an annual 4 day motorcycling event in the Big Bend region of Texas. All riders are invited to attend on their street legal motorcycles (there is no legal, public off-road riding in the Big Bend area so all motorcycles have to be properly tagged and registered). The majority of attendees ride dual sport adventure bikes but there are always some street only riders in attendance.

What kind of rally is this? It's a motorcycle rally open to one and all. Street-only, adventure, and dual sport riders are all invited to attend. Come by yourself or bring some friends. Ride when you want and where you want. Have an adventure. Got a few extra days off? Then come on out early. Or stay a few days late. The main point is to have fun.

Street riders There are some awesome paved roads in the Big Bend area that really shouldn't be missed, especially if you are a Texas motorcyclist. In fact, Hwy 170, aka "River Road" is one of the top 5 motorcycling roads in Texas.

Dual Sport and Adventure Riders Lots of dual sport riders show up to ride the Big Bend boonies, so if you've always wanted to go play in the dirt at Big Bend but just haven't made it yet, this is a wonderful opportunity to do so.

2012_03_Around%20the%20Bend_26-37-XL.jpg

Photo courtesy of Andrew Tatton
IMG_0629-XL.jpg

For 2017 we are going back to the original rally format (i.e. no challenge events for 2017)

Thursday, March 23rd
6 pm, rally check in and fajita dinner at the High Sierra restaurant

Friday, March 24th
6:30 am, catered group breakfast at the Big Bend Motor Inn Café​
8:30 am, riders meeting, parking lot of Big Bend Motor Inn Café​
8:45 - whenever, organize a group and ride wherever you want​

Saturday, March 25th
6:30 am, catered group breakfast at the Big Bend Motor Inn Café​
8:30 am, riders meeting, parking lot of Big Bend Motor Inn Café​
8:45 - whenever, organize a group and ride wherever you want​
6 pm - 10 pm, catered dinner and drinks at the Big Bend Resort party barn​

Sunday, March 26th
End of rally​

Ride HQ: The El Dorado motel is ride HQ for this year's ride.

Cost: $90 per attendee
The rally fee includes the following:
  • Thursday evening fajita dinner
  • Friday morning breakfast
  • Saturday morning breakfast
  • Saturday evening banquet
  • Commemorative rally drinking glass

Make your reservations now - every motel in the Terlingua area will be completely booked during the rally. If you wait you won't find a room in the area and will have to make other arrangements.

Registration: Register for the rally via paypal or US mail. To register via paypal, go to www.paypal.com and send $90 to me at rgibbens@austin.rr.com using the send money to family or friend option. Make sure you let me know you are registering for the Around the Bend rally.

To register via US mail, send cash or check to me at:

Richard Gibbens
12609 Red Bud Trail
Buda, TX 78610

Include an email address with your registration and I will send you an email and let you know I have received your registration. If you don't get a confirmation email from me then either I haven't received your registration or you didn't provide an email address.

Registration ends Wednesday, March 8th (it takes about 2 weeks to order and receive the commemorative drinking glasses)

Registration Check-In Pick up your registration packet 6-7 pm, Thursday evening, March 23rd, at the High Sierra Bar and Grill (at the start of the Thursday night fajita dinner). Registration ends Wednesday, March 8th to provide enough time to order the commemorative glasses. Registrations received after March 8th will be handled as late registrations.

Late Registration Do you have commitment issues? You can register late at the rider check-in table on Thursday evening, 6-7pm, at the High Sierra Bar and Grill. With late registration you get rally attendance, the Thursday evening fajita dinner, two breakfast meals, and the Saturday night banquet.

Thursday Night Meet and Greet Fajita Dinner The High Sierra Grill is hosting us on Thursday night, 6-8 pm, with a Fajita Dinner on their upstairs deck. This dinner is included with your paid rally registration.

Breakfast Meal and Rider Meeting: The Starlight Theater Restaurant is providing a breakfast meal on Friday and Saturday morning from 7:00 - 8 am. The meals on both days are included with your rally registration.

Sleeping: Need a place to sleep? The El Dorado hotel in Terlingua is "hotel central". Their phone number is 432-371-2111. They always get booked, so make your reservations now. For other motel options in the area, see the Big Bend ride guide or Google.

Want to camp? Free camping is available at Gareth Park (across the street from the El Dorado Hotel). The land is private property but the owner allows us to use the land during this event. It's just raw land so no hook-ups or anything like that but it did have an outhouse the last time I was there. In the past, most campers end up at Gareth Park, which can be good and bad (good = lots of folks to hang out & visit with; bad = might be a little too close to snoring campers; the good probably outweighs the bad). There are also several pay camp sites where you can pitch a tent for a few dollars. See the Big Bend ride guide or Google for a list of all the motels & camping places.

Can we ride in Mexico? Absolutely. There is a really awesome canyon (Peguis Canyon) about 25 miles south of Ojinaga, Mexico that is well worth a visit. You don't need to do any paperwork to visit it either; just cross the border and head south, you can't miss it. Bring your passport or passcard though, because you will need it to get back into the United States.

Is it safe? Mexico sure is close. As of this writing all the border drug stuff you've been hearing about on the news hasn't been an issue in the Big Bend region.

Refunds Want to attend but not sure if your schedule will permit? If you early register and then aren't able to make the rally let me know and I will provide a 100% refund (minus any paypal fees if you paid by paypal) until Wednesday, March 8th, when early registration ends. After that your registration refund will be pro-rated based on when you cancel.

IMG_5599_edited-1-XL.jpg

Last edited:
I noticed you no longer have "Uncle's" in the name of this rally. Does that mean no more free camping and porta potty across the street from the El Dorado?

_

I noticed you no longer have "Uncle's" in the name of this rally. Does that mean no more free camping and porta potty across the street from the El Dorado?

_

I'm not sure yet. I will be checking with Uncle on the status of that property and if we can still us it.

I removed "Uncle" from the name simply because Uncle has stopped riding and I don't know if he will be attending the rally.

Hey!

Thanks...:clap:

Going to make this one, already got my AirBnB booked. That's hint, there's some really nice ones in Terlingua (and some really strange ones).

What are the motel choices around Terlingua? Where is the best places to stay for this rally? I have not been before.

El Dorado is ride HQ & the best place to stay outside of a couple of the AirBnBs. Chisos Mining Co. is a few minutes down the road.

The JW Marriott is probably not open yet!

For 2017 we are going back to the original rally format (i.e. no challenge events for 2017)

Great idea. The challenge format, especially the Desert Challenge, pushed people to ride beyond a reasonable safety margin and led to hooligans riding Terlingua Ranch at speeds faster than a small but vocal number of property owners agreed with.

Checked my calendar and it looks like I am off for this one.

Haven't been in a couple of years and my bride is not on board but I'm definitely in maybe..........:mrgreen:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back