• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Yamaha Gen-Ryu Hybrid

Reaction score
It looks like Yamaha will be bringing a gas-electric hybrid into production.

yamaha-hybrid-motorcycle-for-production.jpg

The article is here.

The Gen-Ryu will combine (in various proportions when needed) a 250cc engine with an electric motor to move the bike. As the article mentions, the production bike will be watered down in both design and function from the concept Gen-Ryu pictured above. (More photos of the concept bike here)

I'm not entirely sure if I agree with the writer's assertions... "Bikers are getting old, and they need to appeal to a new generation" or "In a world where people increasingly expect to be able to 'plug and play', riding a normal motorcycle is a frighteningly complex proposition...". I still see younger folk in the showrooms and on the street. And sure, riding is a more complex task than driving but maybe it should be. Simplify it too much and people will be riding, talking on their cells, and drinking Starbucks' coffee all at the same time like their caged cousins.

IMHO... Gas-only powered motorcycles will continue to exist. But I do agree the gas/electric hybrid trend will spread. Although only for touring models since there's currently no infrastructure to recharge an electric-only vehicle on long trips. I think electric-only models will dominate the shorter range, around town commuter bikes. They would be quieter pulling out the driveway in the wee-hours of the morning on the way to work and thus won't draw the ire from the neighbors who sleep in. Plus, for most people the limited range would still cover their round-trip commute as long as they plug them in at night.

But that's only my opinion, for what it's worth. :loco: Thoughts?

That is one ugly scooter, but I do want to see where all this leads for motorcycles. I really believe we are on the verge of a revolution in the internal combustion world. The superball engine from another thread looks promising.

I hate the idea of carrying a huge battery on the bike, plus the complexity that having two propulsion methods in one vehicle entails. I would much rather have the diesel option. Also I seriously doubt that all of the efficiency has already being squeezed out of motorcycle ICE.

Out of curiosity, I wonder how much it'll cost to replace the L.I. battery packs on this bike when they wear out.

It costs about $3,500 on a Prius. That's two engines for my Jeep.

:eek2:

Out of curiosity, I wonder how much it'll cost to replace the L.I. battery packs on this bike when they wear out.

It costs about $3,500 on a Prius. That's two engines for my Jeep.

:eek2:

Yes, but think about the children. You must think about the children!!!!!!

Why do they insist on making technology prototypes LOOK futuristic? If they just throw an 80mpg motor in a Road Star or R6 or otherwise normal looking package, they'd sell the crap out of it (assuming the technology/performance/reliability/cost are there). But instead, they insist on emphasizing it's unusual nature by putting it in the most unusual looking design they can come up with. Boooooo. What focus group is telling them that it should have back-to-the-future styling? I know lots of people that would love to have a high mpg, technologically advanced propulsion system type of motorcycle. I can't say I know anyone who wants that Spacely Sprockets design failure. A few folks might buy one because it's different and it's advanced. But they'll be doing it despite the styling, not because of it.

since you don't shift, I believe it is more appropriate to call it a scooter than a motorcycle. I'm the camp that doesn't see the benefit of the additional complexity to an already very efficient mode of transportation. How many miles will you have to ride to recoup the additional cost vs. a non-hybrid?

Once electrical storage is adequate enough to get ~100 miles out of a charge, I'd love a pure electric bike for commuting. My commute is about 55 miles if I take the back roads, and I'd like to have additional range as a buffer.

A small single cylinder engine/generator could be a pretty good way to extend the range on an electric bike without taking up too much room.

Back