• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Trailer Help

NPHLYT

Reaction score
First Name
Jim
I am in possession of a Triumph chopper that needs to go to British USA. I have called several of the local bike movers, and they all want $100 to get it there. Is there anyone in S.W. Houston with a trailer that can handle a long (over 9') and low bike? I was planning on renting a U-Haul utility trailer, but I would not be able to get the bike from the ramp to the trailer due to the ground clearance (or lack there of).

I find $100 ludicrous for an 18 mile trip.

Would it work to raise the nose of the uhaul trailer waaay up? You could accomplish that by jacking up the rear of the tow vehicle or backing it onto ramps. You may end up having to winch the bike up the inclined trailer.

Another option may be to call for a flatbed if you have towing insurance.:shrug:

Use a ramp with fulcrum positioned near mid point (make a see-saw). Position it so the ramp drops onto the trailer rear edge. Bike goes up - see-saw toggles - bike goes onto trailer. Strong assistants on both sides suggested.

If you were an AMA member their roadside assistance would get it there for free. I recently picked up my touring bike from two years in storage. Aired up tires, new battery, fresh gas but carbs too mucked up with ethanol. Got it running but wouldnt rev past 3k rpm and no power. Gave up, called AMA and a free tow from Conroe to Humble.

_

Triple A (AAA) is running a special right now for $52 (year membership); I believe first tow is free, and AAA can get a person out of some tight spots sometimes.

Triple A (AAA) is running a special right now for $52 (year membership); I believe first tow is free, and AAA can get a person out of some tight spots sometimes.

Yabbut the "cheapie" level ("Classic") does not include M/C towing. Ya gotta "upgrade" for that.

... Classic members with motorcycles are eligible only for the delivery of fuel and locksmith services. Towing service for motorcycles is available under AAA Plus® and AAA Premier®. Motorcycles must be licensed for highway use.

Last edited:
Back