• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Wee: Available alternator output

Reaction score
First Name
Erik
Last Name
Wolf
I have always heard that the Wee alternator output was weak. What I can find online states that it puts out about 400W @ 5000 RPM and the bike uses about 200 of those watts. Now where the online opinions vary is how much of the left over is available for use safely.

The only accessory I have right now are a pair of Rigid LED lights (15W Ea). Is it unrealistic to think that I can add a Synergy Jacket (72W), Gloves (24W) and a GPS charger (12W)? That would put me at 138 watts.

I have run GPS twin 10watt aux lights and 90 watt electric jacket liner and electric glove liners on my SV1Kn with no trouble at all and it uses the same charging system.

you can free up power by converting to LED tail light and HID headlight.
you could also go LED head light but there is less power saved and existing LED replacement bulbs throw off the head lights focus.

electrosport sells a stator that combined with their R&R claims a 25% increase in output.

My '12 DL650 has the same 400w rated alternator. I run the following with no charging / battery problems:

Glenda LED 2x12w= 24w
Warm-n-Safe full liner = 90w
Warm-n-Safe gloves = 24w
Phone / GPS charger = 12w
TOTAL = 150w**

**Heated gear is run through a double-outlet PWM heatroller and usually is not at highest setting, so that reduces the effective load. The Glenda lights also have a PWM dimmer but they tend to stay at full-bright setting.

I don't have any of the 'power saving' gizmos (both the headlight beams are on all the time, standard OEM bulbs all around, etc) and I'm not counting the negligible load of Skene Designs aux brake / running lights. Never got around to installing a voltmeter to actually monitor the charge voltage when running.

I've done 10-day long-distance January camping trips with the heated gear running all day with minimal stop-and-go / idling and have run plenty of local short-hop rides but again with minimal idling/stop-and-go, my ride to my rural home always includes at least 15 minutes at highway speed to start & finish.

Never any problem cranking the bike at 28deg F to start it (yes, ran the heated gear full-tilt 'till things got warm under the 'stich on those days ;-).

HTH

Last edited:
Eric, memory serves me that our storms (at speeds) produce an extra 165 watts. It can be enough if you use it wisely. That's why they make switches, so we can turn things on and off. I would recommend a good voltmeter in the system. Getting below 12.8 volts for long is ,,,,,, no the verge on trouble. HB

Eric, memory serves me that our storms (at speeds) produce an extra 165 watts. It can be enough if you use it wisely. That's why they make switches, so we can turn things on and off. I would recommend a good voltmeter in the system. Getting below 12.8 volts for long is ,,,,,, no the verge on trouble. HB

That seems like a pretty simple solution. I've got a volt meter on order.

Thanks

I've traveled with GPS, MP3 player, and phone charging, and my heated grips going at the same time. Never a problem. And plenty of people ride their Stroms with full heated gear. I don't think you'll have any issues.

I've traveled with GPS, MP3 player, and phone charging, and my heated grips going at the same time. Never a problem. And plenty of people ride their Stroms with full heated gear. I don't think you'll have any issues.

That's what I like to hear.

Back