• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

2018 MexTrek #8, Oct 20th - 23rd 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am so ready for this one. I have 2 tracks ready with some new stuff and want to revisit a few old tracks. Jeff, you in? Have you done the backside of Mt. Potosi yet?

I retraced the exploration route you and I did last October and made my way to the water tank with fence across the road, mainly to show some new guys the trailhead so we can try the whole route next time.

At the town about 5 km from the main highway to Iturbide we met 20 yr old Hector, and his 3 little cousins, who loved US $1 bills. 28 kids live in this tiny rancho and go to the nice hillside school. All 28 kids are first or second cousins. Every person in the town is a family member of the town's 7 grandfathers. As Hector said in a nice and sweet way, "We must import our Women!"

All 7 grandfathers also own the land and the underutilized lead mine located 2 miles up very very steep old road. A mine you can climb into as far as your fears of claustrophobia allow you to venture. We were staying ahead of a rainstorm and the impending thunder in the mineshaft was enough to get our spidey senses tingling and we turned tail. We'll be back. I hope to make the 60 foot climb down the main shaft to venture into the km's of tunnels someday. I'm stupid like this.

Hector promised if we brought a crew of 15 or 20, and beer for some of his clan, we'd have a Nuevo Leon style Cabrito bbq this October.

JT, if you ever take that track again, make a left in town at the Y. Up the little hill and on the right is one blue house with 2 old trucks closest to the power lines. This is Hector's house. It is on the track to Cuevas we rode last year. Knock and say hello. He is extremely welcoming, friendly, and speaks zero english, lol.

Last edited:
Here is my latest postcard from Mexico...

20180617_171441-X2.jpg

Having to watch my schedule before I commit. I'm going to make a week of it and end up in Galeana. If anyone is interested in a little Sierra Gorda riding, maybe Grutas Tolontango before Mextrek let's talk. Zeke ?

Having to watch my schedule before I commit. I'm going to make a week of it and end up in Galeana. If anyone is interested in a little Sierra Gorda riding, maybe Grutas Tolontango before Mextrek let's talk. Zeke ?

Where is the like button?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tolontango is great. Just be aware they only accept cash. And no atm's on the property. And it is fairly remote, i e, no towns nearby to get mo pesos.

You can travel to Mexico and Canada, by land, using just a passport card. Flying still requires a regular passport. I think traveling by boat does too.

The evening shift (no supervisor on staff) border office employees are taking advantage of the inconsistency of using the passport card and are now typically asking for a $20 or $25 bribe to allow you to enter the country with only a passport card. But clearly the law is that you can enter with a passport card by land, but you may be asked for bribe if you come after 6 p.m.

Last edited:

Cant do those dates mi amigo, mextrek #8 is not in mi futuro. Was el salado included in this run? I hope not, lets leave it for another run...

Last edited:
After mextrek #5 on way home Federal police in montemorelos threatened to arrest me and seriously warned that radios need be out of sight n turned off when not up in the mountains. He warned the worst scenario u can imagine n costly. It took lots of mex BS to get me out of that encounter.

That story will get relayed to all future groups. We'll keep radios stashed until we hit the mountains.

Last edited:
What’s the general consensus regarding luggage on the dual sports for a trip like this? I’m looking at picking up a Giant Loop Coyote for my KTM 500 EXC - anyone have thoughts on better options? I have a small Moose Racing luggage rack, no side racks or mounts and prefer to keep it that way.

Charles,

Tricepilot Bob has been using the Giant Loop bag on his 500 EXC for several years and has a couple of long (1000+ mile) trips to Mexico with that set-up. By all accounts, it seems to have worked very well for him. That's his 500 in the photo below, on our Jalpan recon trip in 2015. He does not have side racks either.

P5260265-XL.jpg

^^
Thanks Richard - looking at those and the Mosko Reckless system. Both look like solid options. Of course the Giant Loop does come in KTM orange....

Full Disclosure:

I have moved on from Giant Loop to used H-E-B plastic grocery bags with zip ties.

^^
Thanks Richard - looking at those and the Mosko Reckless system. Both look like solid options. Of course the Giant Loop does come in KTM orange....

I’m running the Mosko Moto Reckless 40 on my 500. I have side racks but think it would be okay without the racks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back