• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

IXL riding and class and Campout at Ghost Rancho November 17-19

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I have been asked to schedule a class for the MSF Offroad Class taught by the great Brad Collins. We have settled on November 18 for the class with Camping before and after. I have plenty of wood gathered for campfire and maybe a ceremonial barcalounger:trust: Menu will be decided based on weather and how many attend. Their are 8 spots for the class with two already scheduled.

This will take place at Ghost Ranch which is located on CR266 near Gatesville

The cost for the class is $150 and is for beginner basic skill riders off road.
1)TD
2)CH
3) Dahveed
4) MitchnTX
5) Liteitup
6) Euromedic
7) Skatz
8) Spiritatbay

Alternates:
1) Jake
2) Highdrag
3)
4)

IN for camping:party:
1) Dahveed
2) Woodbutcher:doh:
3) Mitchntx
4) Liteitup
5) Euromedic
6) Skatz
7) Flyby75
8) Cagiva549
9) Subcomm
10) Spiritatbay
11) JT
12) Highdrag
13) Cleatus
14) Kickstand Prophet
15) JQueen +1
16)
17)
18)

Google Map link:
Ghost Ranch Entrance

Check the map in Aerial/satellite view and the entrance is obvious. Follow the dirt road around to to the open area where the view shows the two buildings.

Last edited:
Definitely in for camping. Won't take the class, but might shoot the riders. :trust: No matter what my wife says, I can take it.

Is there any information posted about the course and trails? What it entails, how long, expected skill level, cost etc. Sounds interesting but I'd hate to sign up, get there and find everything may be above my skill level, which is minimal.

Class is good beginners And up.
Brad will evaluate you and start from there. I don’t know the cost but I’m sure someone will chime in with cost and more information.

Will put it on the calendar for camping but need to check with boss to make sure there is nothing planned that weekend.

Can you point a rookie/newb to curriculum, requirements, cost and what I can expect?

Is this for the casual rider with a BIG bike? I see Daveed registered and he has a GS. So maybe I learn better handling skills this KTM beast.

Brad should chime in eventually about cost, but my memory is that it was around $150. It is it the MSF dirt class. Starts with basics about gear, bike set up, body positioning (good segment). You run through slow speed maneuvers, weaves, light obstacles. Then it gets "interesting". Which is about the time people with big bikes take Brad up on the offer to use on of his bikes. You do side hill weaves, up and down hills and learn what to do when you stall on a hill.

I've done parts of it on my GSA. Other parts on one of Brad's bike. If he doesn't have a better qualified assistant, I've demo'd some things. But usually I take pictures.

But Brad usually brings a few bikes for use in the class.

And we usually eat well and there is always a good fire. Both for sitting around and another just to have fun.

I could sure use a tune up. It's been too many years since I did anything more serious that an average dirt road.

Last week I met Ron Strom and one of his friends for lunch.
On the way back, there was a road striping crew moving along at 5 mph and had the hiway backed up.
I hate being the meat in a cager sandwich.

I bounced into the ditch and passed them. Road maybe 1/4 mile, didn't go very fast, but enough to overtake.
While doing that, I recalled a time riding the ditch because it was more fun.

I'm a lot older, a lot more top heavy, knees aren't what they used to be ... but it was kind of fun, once again.

Last edited:
Mitch, you won't regret taking this class. You'll learn tons. And Brad is top notch instructor-he has the passion for teaching.

Here's a past thread with lots of discussion about Brad's class. (This class was held at a different location so add camping, and food and more fun at Dody's place.)

http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=93463&page=2

I hope the dates work so I can repeat the class on the 690. It'd be a great way to get me ready for BIG BEND in March!

O my! Put me as a maybe right now, in pending modification of family thanksgiving stay.

If you're on the fence about the class - then sign up and take it. I did about 2 or 3 years ago - there's not a better way to learn GOOD dirt skills than spending a day dropping someone else's bike :)

I hope the dates work so I can repeat the class on the 690.

Yeah - that's an important note. Once you take his class once, you're an "insider": you can come back to any future class at a huge discount for a refresher. Perfect when you change bikes or spend too much time on pavement and just want to ease back into the dirt.

Can you point a rookie/newb to curriculum, requirements, cost and what I can expect?

Is this for the casual rider with a BIG bike? I see Daveed registered and he has a GS. So maybe I learn better handling skills this KTM beast.

Mitch, I’ll probably bring the little WR for the class.

Brad is great! I’ve never taken his class, but I️ had the pleasure of riding some with him in BBRSP several years ago. He gave me many pointers to keep me upright and out of the cactus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry about that...Cost is $150 and is a basic entry level course to offroad riding. He works closely with the riders and you get to take the class free space available from here on:chug:

Sign me up for the class ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back