• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

2016 MexTrek Galeana #5, Oct 19th - 23rd 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years ago we used to race on several Indian reservations, it was the same thing. No matter what you had to be off the reservation by 7:00PM or anything left behind could be claimed by the natives.

I think Honda did a good thing keeping the computers to a minimum. They are there but not as many as other fancier bikes...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Someone tell me if i am incorrect about taking my 17 yr old son to mextrek. i title the 2nd bike in wifes name, she shows up at the border with the title and birth cert for son. she gets the tvip then goes home, son rides bike into mexico legally. What do yall think??
later taters

Someone tell me if i am incorrect about taking my 17 yr old son to mextrek. i title the 2nd bike in wifes name, she shows up at the border with the title and birth cert for son. she gets the tvip then goes home, son rides bike into mexico legally. What do yall think??
later taters
Wife thinks the title (tax) office says you can own a title at age 16. Do you can transfer it to your son for a few bucks.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

First Galeana timer question...

What ratio of street:dirt tire would you recommend for my XT250? It's got 100% street at the moment. I don't have the ride map yet, but I'd anticipate going at least class 2, easily nudged to class 3, and would like to be bike-capable of class 4 in case the need ([emoji6]) presents itself. But there is a bit of pavement between the border and Galeana. 70/30? 50/50?

Wife thinks the title (tax) office says you can own a title at age 16. Do you can transfer it to your son for a few bucks.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

as i understand it, you cannot get a tvip unless you are 18. that is why the wife is needed. (tricepilot , i would be grateful for your input)

as i understand it, you cannot get a tvip unless you are 18. that is why the wife is needed. (tricepilot , i would be grateful for your input)
Sorry, yes you're right. So having the title doesn't solve the whole problem. I get to wear the bonehead cap for the day.

What ratio of street:dirt tire would you recommend for my XT250? It's got 100% street at the moment. I don't have the ride map yet, but I'd anticipate going at least class 2, easily nudged to class 3, and would like to be bike-capable of class 4 in case the need ([emoji6]) presents itself. But there is a bit of pavement between the border and Galeana. 70/30? 50/50?

There isn't much of a need for great knobby tires on this ride. Nor for great street tires as we ride the concrete slowly (65 mph). My personal choice would be something like OEM dual sport. 50% street would be my max choice. 30/70, aka a street legal knobbyn prpbably best choice. I like the kind with tight square knobs used on trials bikes and mid 80's hondas. 99% of the off road riding is dry and rocky so this kinda tire works well. FYI Class 4 is nearly impossible to find, just some small sections when exploring.

There are surely many opinions on this to come, but I found this thread of interest:

https://m.reddit.com/r/motorcycles/comments/459y0s/do_2080_or_3070_dual_sport_tyres_exist/

Last edited:
you can get away with so much in mejico from permits to insurance etc until u DON'T. everyone has to do their own risk assessment, n if u do more risk then u should probably travel alone, but in a group it should be less risk to be fair to others, like don't carry a gun with u etc it puts all others in jeopardy, u could get away with taking it there n back no problems until u DON'T.

I just returned from Galeana at 2:00AM this morning. For what it's worth, I have Pirelli MT21 with Dynabeads on my KTM 450EXC. They performed very well on everything from the 110 KMPH slab to the moderate paced paved twisties to some nasty, rocky creek bottoms, and some pretty loose and steep goat trails. Sadly, a gnarly 3.5" Agave thorn went through the front tire like a hot knife in butter. I don't think any tire would have deflected that spike. This is the same set that I used on the Colorado Backcountry Discovery Route last summer. I could probably get away with doing another Galeana run on them, but I won't.

IMHO, the MT 21 needs some sort of balancing when running at higher speeds on pavement. In the future, I think I'll switch from Dynabeads to RideOn. I removed the beads from the flat and transferred them to the new tube, but was only able to get about half of them back in. I definitely noticed the difference on the ride back to McAllen.

Everyone traveling by bike in Mexico should investigate the tubliss tube free kit. You can run rediculously low psi offroad (as low as 3 to 4 psi, but realistically 8 to 12 for great grip) and 25 plus on road. No tubes so sealant fills thorn and tiny holes better than on a tube, and big holes can be plugged with an auomotive plug kit without taking off the tire. Plus, in worst case situations, you can ride a flat tire for many miles if needed. A secondary rim-facing 100 psi inner tube seals the spoke holes and locks the tire bead in place. The secondary tube is tucked in next to the rim protected by a thick rim strip with no chance for damage Plus, no pinch flats ever.

Why waste your ride time playing with inner tubes? That is so 2015!

P

Last edited:
Lookin' slim for me this go around. I'll squeeze it in if I somehow can.

12 confirmed riders paid in full. That's enough to keep this afloat, but not nearly enough to clap and make tee shirts. C'mon girls!!!!

I need to register and send mulah...soon, i will soon!

I was going to go to a PA meeting (Procrastinators Anonymous) but the meeting had been postponed...

I know of 3 or 4 that are also waiting to the last minute but committed to the cause.

Really looking forward to this trip. I notice on page one of my this thread that Kenny and I are listed paid but "unknown"....he is from Candler NC and I am a few minutes west of that in Canton NC. So we are real Hillbillys! See you in Oct! :rider:

I have joined recently and got the green light to go and my work schedule works out. I have a 2001 BMW R1150R street / rockster bike. While i have not ridden much offroad will there be anyone who is riding paved roads where I can go or do i need to consider buying a DS bike? I would like to think I'm adept to riding situations / realize quickly what is happening. I have considered the DS tires for the R which are featured on the GS bikes (K80s or comparable). Perhaps some of you gents can give me the advice to go if it will be "doable" with the r1150r. I would particularly like to meetup with some of the Houston guys to see if I can follow along to see if I can make this ride. I am 34 year old dude, i went to saltillo / de parras / quatrocienegas by car last year. I absolutely love Mexico.

I need to meetup, in the coming weeks, with the guys going -
Mr AppleCastle, FoxRider, Shadman and get an honest opinion Ye or Ne to join.

I've been following this thread for a bit and realize I need to get insured as well as have a "shakedown" ride.

I would also more than welcome the opportunity to "support truck" ride along however I just traded my old tundra for a new 2016 4x4 and unsure of the ramifications of bringing a "new" truck to mexico.

:sun:

Are you one of those 3 or 4? It would be good to see you again Vinny!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Not looking good. I really want to go but the same weekend has two other things that I never miss.
At least you'll pass thru Austin right ?

I have joined recently and got the green light to go and my work schedule works out. I have a 2001 BMW R1150R street / rockster bike. While i have not ridden much offroad will there be anyone who is riding paved roads where I can go or do i need to consider buying a DS bike? I would like to think I'm adept to riding situations / realize quickly what is happening. I have considered the DS tires for the R which are featured on the GS bikes (K80s or comparable). Perhaps some of you gents can give me the advice to go if it will be "doable" with the r1150r. I would particularly like to meetup with some of the Houston guys to see if I can follow along to see if I can make this ride. I am 34 year old dude, i went to saltillo / de parras / quatrocienegas by car last year. I absolutely love Mexico.

I need to meetup, in the coming weeks, with the guys going -
Mr AppleCastle, FoxRider, Shadman and get an honest opinion Ye or Ne to join.

I've been following this thread for a bit and realize I need to get insured as well as have a "shakedown" ride.

I would also more than welcome the opportunity to "support truck" ride along however I just traded my old tundra for a new 2016 4x4 and unsure of the ramifications of bringing a "new" truck to mexico.

:sun:

Only you can decide what you can and can't ride on the 1150. The street riding there is excellent and you won't be disappointed, but you may not have much or any company. I rode my CBR1000RR to Galeana a few months ago. It was great.

If you spoon on some 50/50 tires like the GS you should be able to ride the class 1 and 2 roads, but it will not be an easy task and dropping the bike is a very real possibility, multiple times. Would I do it? Yes, but I'm not normal. I'm the guy rode who river road in big bend on roadrace tires on a motard and Maverick road on my old CBR1000RR. That said, we have lots of guys come to Mexico on 50/50 tired GS's and they are basically on your same bike, just with a bit of extra suspension travel. My deciding factor would be how concerned you would be if you scraped it up, a lot. If you have some extra cash I would highly recommend a good, used, easily resellable dual sport for the trip. KLR250, KLR650, DRZ400, XR650L, etc... They are made for Mexico. And other than the title fees, you can get your money back out, or more, if you purchase wisely.

I'd keep any truck you can't afford to give away out of Mexico. New big trucks are exactly what "they" want to dispossess you of. But you probably wouldn't have any issues.

Would love to get together in Houston, soon, as I am moving to Phoenix the end of this week.

Last edited:
I am giving this ride some serious consideration. If I go I would be taking the AT, it is just too much fun to leave behind. I apologize if this has been asked but if I drive my nice truck and trailer to McAllen where on earth can I park it and have a reasonable expectation that it will still be there when I get back?

I am giving this ride some serious consideration. If I go I would be taking the AT, it is just too much fun to leave behind. I apologize if this has been asked but if I drive my nice truck and trailer to McAllen where on earth can I park it and have a reasonable expectation that it will still be there when I get back?

When I went to Jalpan this spring, several of us left our vehicles at the hotel. If they don't believe they have the room to let you do that, the airport is nearby and their remote parking is an option. RV storage place could be too.

The hotel lot is very nice, secure, and as the hotel in Mission is a complex with trees, cabanas, and a main reception it is not open to public view. They give us a section of the lot dedicated to our trucks and trailers. Only in the extreme case they are fully booked would they ask us to go elsewhere, and they will give a courtesy call 2 weeks in advance if this is the case. This definitely not a motel on the side of the road. Google it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back