• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Thoughts on KTM 350 EXC-F

Reaction score
I am curious as to how this bike would rate as a mostly trail sometimes dual sport bike?

In my 2 months of owning a 450 EXC-F, I can say that it's a wonderful dualsport machine.

It makes an excellent trail machine, although for serious work gearing is tall and suspension a little soft. The 6 speed lets you move with traffic nicely!

Last edited:
Thanks guys. I imagine you can adjust preload to deal with the softness?

I doubt it.

These bikes are not set up from the factory to be carrying a lot of weight. They are set up for racing, with a rider that might weigh 175 lbs at best. If you start adding a bigger gas tank and luggage, it's a good bet that even with the preload maxed out, you won't be able to get your sag set properly. It is not the end of the world. You just have to ride with it in your head that you need to take it easy, and pack light.

It does make a difference though. While riding a few weeks ago in Colorado, I was only packing my side bags with tubes, tools, etc... for a day ride. The difference in how the bike handles packed like this compared to being packed for a week of camping is VERY noticeable when things start getting technical.

I have a 2012 350 EXC-F and it's a fantastic machine. Have used it for single track trail riding, Dual Sporting in CO and BB, as well as racing in a Texas Enduro. Plenty of power and suspension and handling is wonderful. Very reliable.

Try to ride a 500 before you buy the 350 if you can. I had the opportunity to ride both and am glad I did. The exc is in a much more relaxed state of tune compared to even the xc-w. I got the 2015 exc500 and have been very happy with it. I am a big guy though. I truly think it is the best bike I have ever owned. I know it is under sprung for my weight but it truly does Cadillac in the single track. I have other bikes that are more focused and see a lot more abuse than the exc, but I am confident it can do just about anything and still cruise 70 with out rattling my teeth out.

Last edited:
I had the opportunity to ride a '17. The bike feels ultra light and nimble with good suspension, brakes, clutch and gear box. The throttle response is instant, and it has good power for off road use. I loved it off-road, but did not love it on-road, other than to throttle wheelies and zipping around.

On the road, it is dicey as all get out above 65mph. This is an enduro dirt bike with some street legal bits on it.

As stated above, if I were to choose, it would be the 500. The 350's legs are a bit short for the street. But on the trail, it is truly magnificent.

I liked it so much I bought one and sold my 450 and my 2 stroke.

I have 2 friends, both infrequently on TWT, who swear by their 350 EXC's. One of them is a pretty big guy as well.

Back