• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

MC Camping on the Cheap

I'm a newbie to camping off a bike and considering getting some inexpensive gear to see how it goes and whether my back can take sleeping on the ground.

I found a tent that looks inexpensive but has features I think I like

Toogh Tent

But I'm concerned it may be too bulky. What are your thoughts?

It's your call what you want to spend your space on, but it is pretty bulky alright. The Amazon page gives the specs: roughly 6" x 6" x 30", and 7 lbs. The weight is nothing, but the length concerns me; that's a lot of real estate.

Before purchasing, I'd advise this. Decide what the Big-Bulk items are that you'll be carrying. Put them, or facsimiles of them together for a practice loading of your bike. You can emulate the tent by rolling a blanket or quilt into a 6" x 30" tube. Figure out where and how all that stuff is going to go on your bike. Then decide if you can live with it. Then make a decision as to whether or not this tent is in your future.

Hope that helps.

That's a great suggestion, Tim.

Since tents usually come in several bags (one for the fly and the tent, one for the poles and one for the stakes), several smaller bags are easier to stash than one large bag.

So consider the length of the tent pole sections. Will they fit into your saddle bag/case? If not, where will they go?

It's your call what you want to spend your space on, but it is pretty bulky alright. The Amazon page gives the specs: roughly 6" x 6" x 30", and 7 lbs. The weight is nothing, but the length concerns me; that's a lot of real estate.

Before purchasing, I'd advise this. Decide what the Big-Bulk items are that you'll be carrying. Put them, or facsimiles of them together for a practice loading of your bike. You can emulate the tent by rolling a blanket or quilt into a 6" x 30" tube. Figure out where and how all that stuff is going to go on your bike. Then decide if you can live with it. Then make a decision as to whether or not this tent is in your future.

Hope that helps.

I just watched their video of setting it up. It pretty cool but the big take away was how big that roll was when they started. There's no way that will be practical if I want to be able to use the tent on both the little and big bike.

Thanks for the heads up on that consideration.

I'm no leaning towards the tent Tricepilot bought. It seems like a good size, is reasonably priced and packs down relatively small.

That's a great suggestion, Tim.

Since tents usually come in several bags (one for the fly and the tent, one for the poles and one for the stakes), several smaller bags are easier to stash than one large bag.

So consider the length of the tent pole sections. Will they fit into your saddle bag/case? If not, where will they go?

I'm definitely out on the Toogh tent but regarding packing the poles. Could I just zip-tie them to the inside of the luggage racks? Or maybe not zip-tie but some other re-usable fastener that works an a small diameter surface?

I'm definitely out on the Toogh tent but regarding packing the poles. Could I just zip-tie them to the inside of the luggage racks? Or maybe not zip-tie but some other re-usable fastener that works an a small diameter surface?

Or you could cut each tent pole section in half, install additional ferrules and restring the shock cord..

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

Or you could cut each tent pole section in half, install additional ferrules and restring the shock cord..

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

Or buy replacement poles of different sizes. But SB's answer fits "Camping on the cheap" much better. Well, for most people. For me I know I'd screw them up and end up buying new anyway, so it'd be more expensive. :rofl:

What are your thoughts on this tent?

Coleman 3 Person Tent

It's a bit heavy at 8lbs but that includes the vestibule which I think would be nice to have if it's grimy outside and you want to take your gear off with some cover?

Coleman 3 Person Tent

It's a bit heavy at 8lbs but that includes the vestibule which I think would be nice to have if it's grimy outside and you want to take your gear off with some cover?

For that price, you could get the Eureka that has a vestibule. Check the link provided above for the eureka site. I can honestly say that mine worked extremely well, even kept me bone dry in a North Carolina overnight deluge.

Coleman 3 Person Tent

I see that it has tubes to run the poles through. I hate those. I think clips are much better.

FWIW, when I researched my tent, I had these 'must haves'...

- 4-man... I like the extra room, a lot. I don't worry about a little more weight or volume on a motorcycle.
- vestibules and entrances on both sides
- clips instead of tubes for the poles
- aluminum poles, not fiberglass
- fly that goes almost to the ground, all the way around
- good ventilation
- at least 50" tall

I ended up with an Alps Mountaineering Edge 4 tent for $122 from REI on closeout.

Here's a cheap alternative- get a cheap $25 tent at Academy and a free tarp at Harbor Freight. See if you even like camping in a tent. Use the tarp instead of a vestibule.

After using this option you can decide better what to look for. I always thought this thread was sorta about getting out there cheap and then deciding what you need to upgrade. The cheap Academy tent I use has lasted 20+/- nights and counting. It's been flooded, through several severe thunderstorms, and pitched on rocks without a ground cloth.

I get it that the thread is about cheap and from what I've seen online this camping gear can get super pricey. I was trying to take the tweaner approach and maybe not have to re-buy after a short time.

Regarding having 2 door openings. Why is that a big deal? I see a lot of people mention it as a big plus.

I love the vestibules my tent has.

If you’ll always be single, one door is fine. But even if you are always single, it’s nice to store stuff on the “back porch” and use the other as front door.

If there are two in the tent and two doors, one doesn’t have to crawl over the other to go water the tree.

Ok, I made an executive decision after spending WAAAAY too much time researching this.

I bought this ALPS Mountaineering Lynx 4-person tent on sale at Amazon for $109. Seems to check a lot of the boxes with steel poles, clips, 2 doors, vestibule, etc.

Alps Mountaineering Lynx 4 person tent

Not the cheapest solution but certainly nowhere near the priciest ether and hopeful I'll only have to buy it once.

Thanks everyone for all your insight and experience.

Now onto a bag and pad suitable for a big guy with a bum back....

hopeful I'll only have to buy it once.
Many times this counts for "On the cheap." Some of my most expensive motorcycle gear ends up qualifying for "On the cheap" because I bought the right item the first time and it lasted a really long time.

I love the vestibules my tent has.

If you’ll always be single, one door is fine. But even if you are always single, it’s nice to store stuff on the “back porch” and use the other as front door.

If there are two in the tent and two doors, one doesn’t have to crawl over the other to go water the tree.

Perfect explanation Gina. Thanks.

Tent pads are very personal, and depend on your desired level of comfort and heat reflexion.

For a sleeping bag, also a personal choice. After trying our 3-5 different bags from friends and family on separate "in the field" trips, I decided to just go ahead and get the military sleeping bag system. Versatile enough for me, and I only take the bag/bags that I need based on where I am going and the temperature.

Ok, I made an executive decision after spending WAAAAY too much time researching this.

I bought this ALPS Mountaineering Lynx 4-person tent on sale at Amazon for $109. Seems to check a lot of the boxes with steel poles, clips, 2 doors, vestibule, etc.

Alps Mountaineering Lynx 4 person tent

Not the cheapest solution but certainly nowhere near the priciest ether and hopeful I'll only have to buy it once.

Thanks everyone for all your insight and experience.

Now onto a bag and pad suitable for a big guy with a bum back....

Looks like a nice choice, almost identical to my Edge tent.

I bought an REI self-inflating pad... seemed as good as an Exped but cheaper. Went to the REI store, pulled out their pads and laid on them. Decided the 1.5" was too thin and the 3.5" too expensive so I bought the 2.5". Has worked well for many nights over the past 3 years.

I also bought a cot a few months ago, but the jury is still out on that... I seem to sleep better with the pad flat on the ground.

Get a sleeping bag that unzips from the bottom too... you can put your feet out on warm nights!

Looks like a nice choice, almost identical to my Edge tent.

I bought an REI self-inflating pad... seemed as good as an Exped but cheaper. Went to the REI store, pulled out their pads and laid on them. Decided the 1.5" was too thin and the 3.5" too expensive so I bought the 2.5". Has worked well for many nights over the past 3 years.

I also bought a cot a few months ago, but the jury is still out on that... I seem to sleep better with the pad flat on the ground.

Get a sleeping bag that unzips from the bottom too... you can put your feet out on warm nights!

I need to head to REI and check the pads out. I have a cheap one with good reviews selected on Amazon but haven't pulled the trigger on it yet because it's only 1.5" thick.

I'm definitely getting a bag that can zip open at the feet. Also want a square bag that's not tapered. I'd go nuts if my feet were restrained like that.

What sleeping pad do most of you use? It seems the self-inflating are more comfortable than the air inflated but take up must more room. It seems with a tent, pad and sleeping bag space is going to get a bit tight.

I know I'm a bit odd but I don't need a pad. A sleeping bag is fine for me. It's like black coffee - get used to it and you never need cream.

Ever since I came down with the ADV bug I've been looking at pics of people's rigs and reading their ride reports. Lots of great ideas out there. I guess my plans for camping on the cheap aren't really that cheap so to speak. I invested in a moto-mule to carry as much of my/our gear as posible so I don't have to load the bike "up" and make it more top heavy then it all ready is. I picked up a $25 tent and a sleeping pad from Academy, a cooking kit off Amazon and for the most part I'm set for my 1st little Adventure up to the After Thanksgiving gathering week after next.

Another advantage to two door tents. When you’ve done too much :eat: and :party:

later it’s more convenient to :puke: out the back door.

Jus sayin...

What sleeping pad do most of you use? It seems the self-inflating are more comfortable than the air inflated but take up must more room. It seems with a tent, pad and sleeping bag space is going to get a bit tight.

I have a Klymit v-static and a Thermarest that were on sale when I got them. The V-static is very small and takes up hardly any space. The V-static is about $47 on Amazon. Takes 13 breaths to inflate. I like mine and it has been camped on maybe two dozen times.

Last edited:
Back