• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Tire Changing Equipment

wczimmerman

The ORIGINAL Pie Man
Forum Supporter
Reaction score
I did a search and didn't turn up anything.

What equipment would you recommend so that I can change my own motorcycle tires and balance them? Now that Jen is back on 2 wheels it is becoming more cost effective if I do it myself, but I want a setup that will not mar up the wheels. I know this can be done on the cheap but I'm not opposed to spending a little money to get it done right.

I found this, but it would seem that they are very proud of their equipment. But if that is what it takes...

We have a nomar changer. It's nice. It's well worth the money to get a few of the Hands hands free clamps. We split it up between three of us that all use my uncles shop so the cost was a little more bearable.

Ditto on the No Mar setup. I'm very impressed with the quality of the hardware and service from the company.

We also split the cost up between a few folks and it made it much easier on the wallet.

Pete

I use a hand tool called the "breezer" and have never pinched a tube with it. It's an awesome little portable tool for 15 bucks or so. Got mine from JC Whitney, but not sure if it's still available anymore. I use it with a regular tire spoon and a rubber mallet and use a 15 inch wheel rim from my old truck and a carpet to keep from scaring anything up. It's not quite as easy as using a tire machine, but it's just as precise and a lot cheaper and more portable. I bought one about 5 years ago after the one I'd been using for 30 years finally wore out and broke. I really don't do enough tires to justify any sort of machine.

http://dansmc.com/tires1.htm

Look on page 10 of 10 for the breezer on this PDF file.

http://www.flandersco.com/Images/PDF/170-Tire-Wheel-Tools-Supply.pdf

I bought the harbor frieght haven't used it yet but it seems pretty good gets good reviews overall. I talked to a couple people on this and on the Z1000 forum. The no mar was just too much probably worth it but too much for just me.

I have the no-mar also, and I love it. The Harbor Freight works well with duct tape. I have the no mar balancer too but, I use the Marc Parnes cones on the no-mar axle.

wczimmerman said:
I did a search and didn't turn up anything.

What equipment would you recommend so that I can change my own motorcycle tires and balance them? Now that Jen is back on 2 wheels it is becoming more cost effective if I do it myself, but I want a setup that will not mar up the wheels. I know this can be done on the cheap but I'm not opposed to spending a little money to get it done right.

I found this, but it would seem that they are very proud of their equipment. But if that is what it takes...

That's not a bad price really. The Coats 220 is something like $850 and this one looks like it's easier to use then the Coats.

I use the Harbour Frieght unit with the NoMar bar. This provides a cheaper
sloution. The Nomar bar is about $100 and you can get the HF changer on sale
for around $70.
This setup works great and does not scratch the rims.
NoMar provides a lifetime replacement on the "special" no scratch tips on their
bar.
I've changed a few tires now and they show no signs of wear yet.
You must get the nomar tire lube... it's like magic. By far tha best lube
I've ever come accross. Better than soap, wd40, hand cleaner or whatever
"other" lubes youve ever used.
With a 21" front tire... you can almost push it onto the rim without using a
bar / levers at all when using their lube. It's water soluble and rises right off
and it will not corrode spokes / rims or mess with tubes (if you use them)

Mudshark said:
I use the Harbour Frieght unit with the NoMar bar. This provides a cheaper
sloution. The Nomar bar is about $100 and you can get the HF changer on sale
for around $70.
This setup works great and does not scratch the rims.
Linky for No mar bar?????
Thanks
Steve

DFW_Warrior said:
Thanks DFW W, I was out of commision today. I've picked up some
danged virus or something, making me feel real bad. Maybe it was the playing in the
rain on the weekend?
That bar is the best in the business. makes tire swapping a breeze.
Plus... go here:
http://www.king-cart.com/n0m5rent/product=Supplies/exact_match=exact
and get the Tire lube paste, it's fantastic.
You use the paste in the spray bottle, a couple of table spoons full disolved in hot water
gives you a spray on version, like I said it's great.

We have the Coats mounter and balancer at my place... I like this balancer a bit better. Seems quite a bit quicker to do a balance. Mounter is definately beefy too.

I actually got to use my Harbor Frieght model last week. May not be the best but a definite step forward from spoons on the floor. With a little practice I will be a happy camper. I do like the look of that other bar though. Seems a little steep. I would have to do way more tires than I do now.

I was in Tractor Supply a couple of days ago and noticed they had a tire changer that may be their version of the HF changer. Didn't see a price or take time to look at it due to time butplan to go back and look at it one of these days.

Here is a tip for the Harbor Freight unit. Tie a plastic rim clip (available from Cycle Gear) to the end of the big red bar that you use to put on the tire. When you slide the bar around the rim, the rim clip will be pulled along with it. No more scratches!!! I know this may be hard to understand since I'm not the best at describing it, but next time I promise, I'll take pictures and post them here.

I know exactly what you mean. It is shown here.

http://www.pbase.com/fredharmon/tirechange

I bought some plastidip and coated the rim grips, that worked very well. I have only used the supplied bar for dismount. I am pretty good with spoons so it was a big step forward just having the stand, bead breaker (awesome), and dismount bar. When I change to knobbies next week I intend to take the time to play with the bar. I also need to find a decent bead retainer. I used a C clamp with a rim protector but it was cumbersome. I saw some posted before I just need to follow up.

Plane Dr said:
I know exactly what you mean. It is shown here.
http://www.pbase.com/fredharmon/tirechange

Dang it!!! I thought I actually came up with something. Ah well.... BTW, I just changed my front wheel tonight using only the supplied Harbor Freight bar. All went good, took about an hour with no helper (the wife was at work).

Plane, what do you mean by bead retainer. I know I didn't have one, and it went good. But maybe it is something that would speed things along even faster.

There is a small clamp that you can attach to the rim that will keep the bead from working back off as you go around the tire. It saves you from having to hold one iron. Effectively freeing a hand.

I had a link to one somewhere, I just can't find it right now. I used a clampon a rim protector and it worked but not as well. Some people are more dextrous and it's not an issue.

Ah, okay. Yeah that would have helped a little if I would have had one. If you find one that is pretty cheap I would buy one as well.

Plane Dr said:
There is a small clamp that you can attach to the rim that will keep the bead from working back off as you go around the tire. It saves you from having to hold one iron. Effectively freeing a hand.

I had a link to one somewhere, I just can't find it right now. I used a clampon a rim protector and it worked but not as well. Some people are more dextrous and it's not an issue.

NoMar accessories, their bead push clamps are cool. The thing that keeps the bead on as you work your way around the tire is the"Yellow Thing", way down the list of accessories.....

http://www.king-cart.com/n0m5rent/product=Accessories/exact_match=exact

Back