• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

TomTom GPS has virus when shipped :(

R

Red Brown

Howdy Folks,

As much as people like their GPS on their bikes, those with the TomTom have a worry. I just received a virus...if you've picked up a TomTom Global Positioning System device over the past few months, you may have bought more than you bargained for. TomTom International confirmed on Monday that some of its latest Go 910 devices have shipped with a virus preinstalled. You might want to check with them on how to remove the virus. The iPod shipped a few years ago had a virus as well. During manufacturign lots of OEM companies/employees have ways of injecting rogue coding into the assembly process...ugg!

Red

Tomtom is NOT a Garmin product! Tomtom is a Tomtom product. As far as I know Garmin has not had this problem and wouldn't want the unwanted and incorrect publicity..

CycleCat said:
Tomtom is NOT a Garmin product! Tomtom is a Tomtom product. As far as I know Garmin has not had this problem and wouldn't want the unwanted and incorrect publicity..

Correct...

TomTom was founded by Peter-Frans Pauwels and Pieter Geelen in 1991. The company’s shares were listed on the Amsterdam Stock Exchange in May 2005. TomTom competes against the Garmin Corporation, the market leader in portable GPS technology. How do they rank compared to Garmin, let's see at:

http://investors.tomtom.com/tomtom/sharedata/chart/

Garmin up 63 percent since early 06' and TT up about around 18 percent for the same time period. Although TomTom seems to hit a niche in the newbie market for GPS.

I think TT outsources more of the manufacturing process than Garmin, hence the rogue virus entering during the assembly process.

Red

Red Brown said:
Howdy Folks,

During manufacturign lots of OEM companies/employees have ways of injecting rogue coding into the assembly process...ugg!

Red

Sure they have ways of doing it. Its called being the OEM.

I don't think any self-respecting company that is going to try and earn peoples business is going to intentionally infect their machines.

As for the iPods, one of the Windows boxes in use in verifying that the iPods worked was infected.

Back