• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Emma Long ride....

We are in luckenback right now. Enter as amateur in the morning run

Lost the transmission in my truck this afternoon. It has killed my haul-and-ride plans for Emma next Wednesday, HF for the weekend, and it's definitely killed any thoughts I had about coming to Luckenbach tomorrow. Unplanned events at work and home all month long have jacked me up but good and have kept my riding strictly local.

Thanks for the suggestion though, Vinny. I appreciate it. Hope yall have a good time!

Guys, FYI:
If any of you riders make this meeting, by all means, please attend, and bring as many people as you can. We need to voice and protect what's existing w/ the motorcycle park before it's taken away. I think the meeting is NOT at the motorcycle parking area, but further down by the water where you pay to get into the big park.

Park Public Meeting about Emma Long Metropolitan Park *#1

*Saturday, November 7, 2015

The meeting will be at the Emma Long Metropolitan Park

1600 City Park Rd, Austin 78730

10:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.

*>> Wear a Motorcycle or MTB shirt <<

*The Austin Parks and Recreation Department is in the early stages of creating a Vision Plan for the Emma Long Metropolitan Park. A key component of this process is collecting input from the public.* The Department is planning on holding a total of 3 public meetings, along with 2 additional focus groups, to gather input and feedback on this project. The first public meeting will assist*the public in learning more about the history of the park and the existing conditions and inventory it contains.* At the same time, the meeting will help the Department in gathering feedback on what facilities residents use and what facilities and programs they would like to see at the park in the future.*In an effort to help draw a large crowd and generate interest in this meeting and process, the Parks and Recreation Department will be hosting exciting kid and family friendly activities* during the scheduled public meeting. For additional information regarding the public meeting, or on the Emma Long Metropolitan Park project, please contact Kevin Johnson at (512) 974-9506

Emma Long Trials competition on Dec. 12, 2015

In the coming weeks, you regulars at Emma Long may start seeing ribbons being wrapped around various trees off to the side of the main loop. Just ignore them, and go about your business having fun on the main trail. The trials club is laying down tracks for the upcoming trials competition on DEC. 12, 2015. This is their annual TOY DRIVE event. All the proceeds collected from this competition goes towards charity.

Note that the trials club had to get approval from the city to put on this event, and in doing so, they had to pay the city a sizable fee. Thus, on Dec. 12, 2015 the park is NOT OPEN to the public for riding bicycle or dirt bike or trials bike out there, unless you are participating in the trials competition. The trials competition is free and open to the public for viewing, and everyone is invited/encouraged to come check it out.

I'll post up the flyer when it's made available.

Got the bike loaded up to ride tomorrow afternoon (Thursday) at Emma Long. Will be ready to hit the trail at 3:30 and do at least 2 laps if anyone wants to join. Supposed to be beautiful weather again tomorrow.

Got the bike loaded up to ride tomorrow afternoon (Thursday) at Emma Long. Will be ready to hit the trail at 3:30 and do at least 2 laps if anyone wants to join. Supposed to be beautiful weather again tomorrow.

Working thu night . How about another round Friday afternoon ? Or Saturday?

Sorry boss... I have family coming in Saturday and need to do some cleaning around the house on Friday.

Rode a lap with Brian yesterday. It was great. It became too dark to ride a second lap.

There are some places that have been made easier. But there is still the option to take a hard vs easy line on most areas.

If you have been waiting to visit the park, now is the time to do it.

Last edited:
Looks like Wednesday 11/25 is going to be our last dry day to ride. I'll be riding around 2pm. Could get talked to ride earlier.
I hope Sam comes with his new toy:rider:

I might be up for Wednesday. Do you think the 525 exc is too much bike for out there?

I hate to say because everyone rides different. I ride a 450 cc and do ok. Not sure of the difference with the 525.
Most people ride 2 strokes out there.
We ride together and stop after every hard section when we "introduce" Emma Long to someone new.
I don't want to discourage you but also don't want to get you into harms way.

So far looks like I'll be the only one there (+ the usual Trials group for Wed).
JT, Dao, Sam and the Brians are all busy.

I'm still going and plan on being there around 2 pm. Might take the truck (silver dodge dakota) so I can bring a cooler and snacks.

Now that I think about it.....I might even be there by 1pm :rider: . Excited to ride before the rains hit.

Now they are saying 50% chance of rain TODAY !!! I can't get a weather break !!!
Not good to go to Emma with rain. Its super slippery on the rocks.

I still hope to go........if the weather holds.

Guys, FYI:
If any of you riders make this meeting, by all means, please attend, and bring as many people as you can. We need to voice and protect what's existing w/ the motorcycle park before it's taken away. I think the meeting is NOT at the motorcycle parking area, but further down by the water where you pay to get into the big park.

ya might consider posting this as a new thread to get as wide exposure as possible. Many riders who don't ride dirt will support those that do.

Good idea SAB. Even a lot of us loyal TWT dirt riders are so far away from the Austin area that we may, or may not freqent the Emma Long thread.

Now they are saying 50% chance of rain TODAY !!! I can't get a weather break !!!
Not good to go to Emma with rain. Its super slippery on the rocks.

I still hope to go........if the weather holds.

I'm probably not gonna make it. Too many outdoor chores I need to get done before the rains come. :doh:

Re: Emma Long Trials competition on Dec. 12, 2015

The trials club is laying down tracks for the upcoming trials competition on DEC. 12, 2015. This is their annual TOY DRIVE event. All the proceeds collected from this competition goes towards charity.

So far I have no conflicts to hold me back and would like to participate, if there is a "clueless" class I can compete in.

I tried navigating through the CTTA website but I'm having trouble finding out how to commit and pay whatever fees to get me on board, and it looks like a flyer hasn't been posted yet for it. But I did find some disappointing news about the trials club getting continually harassed by revenue-seekers and developers for its use of the park. Is this event still happening?

Last edited:
Yes, event is going to happen next weekend. arrive early in the morning, and pay at the tent. This is an AMA sanctioned event, so bring your AMA card. If not AMA, they will sell you a membership there.

Novice class is for beginners. It will be ribboned off separately from the intermediate and expert lines. The beginner class won't have you going over logs or doing anything ohhh & ahhh like. It's mostly easy turns, figure 8s going around a couple trees at off cambers. However, this is Emma Long, its natural terrain is regarded as one of the most technical competitions in the series. If you can achieve riding the novice class at Emma, you can ride trials anywhere.

What's really neat is that on competition day, when it's closed off to m/c riding, the general public gets to walk DEEP inside the park and see first hand the beauty of this precious public riding property. The spots ribboned off for competition are off the main loop, so most regulars who ride the main loop have yet to see these areas.

Put on your hiking boots, take your hiking poles, fill your camelback pack w/ your favorite beverage and snacks, come check it out! Free to all spectators.

Ok I'll need to sign up for the AMA membership when I get there. Do I need to have an OHV sticker for the trials bike? If so, can I buy one there also?

Last edited:
I'm gonna go play at Emma with the trials bike this coming Friday, before the shin dig Saturday, if it's open. I really just want to have fun there riding and taking on what interests me.

I probably won't get there till after lunch. Gonna try to pick up OHV stickers for my bikes first at TJ's if they have any.

And if I have my way, I'll camp overnight at Emma so I can easily be there Saturday. What are the chances of that happening ? :lol2:

Last edited:
Do I need to have an OHV sticker for the trials bike? If so, can I buy one there also?

NO, not needed.

And, as you may already know.....There's NO Camping allowed at the motorcycle park off Oak Shores BLVD, but there's camping allowed at the metropolitan City park, (aka Emma Long Metropolitan Park) at the end of City Park road.

Here's the camping fees:
https://austintexas.gov/department/emma-long-metropolitan-park

Have y'all seen this recent article about the m/c park and the trials riders regulars?

http://revvs.com/index.php/motorcycle-photos/austin-trials-riders-emma-long-motorcycle-park/

How easily can you gain access to the areas as a spectator? I am thinking my boys would love to see this. They're 8 & 4.

Having never been to a trials competition. Is it spectator friendly? Do they keep the action going, or long breaks in between riders?

Thanks for the info, y'all. I think I need to get stickers for my dirt bikes so I can be legal to ride SHNF anyway, so I'm going to stop by TJ's on my way there Friday and see if they have any. They're about as close or closer than any of the other places on the list. Failing that, I'll order them by mail.

Yeah I'm gonna camp Friday evening at City Park if there's room for me. The weather forecast so far looks pretty darn good.

How easily can you gain access to the areas as a spectator? I am thinking my boys would love to see this. They're 8 & 4.

Having never been to a trials competition. Is it spectator friendly? Do they keep the action going, or long breaks in between riders?

This "OBSERVED" trials competition IS by definition VERY spectator friendly. You're literally within an arms reach from the rider, if you so choose to be that close to the ribbons.

Access to the riding areas as a spectator is unregulated. As long as you're not touching/encroaching the ribbons and riders, you can stand anywhere, walk anywhere, and view from any location.

This pic was taken back when my two sons were 7 &3yrs old. It was their first observed trials competition in Hutto. The ribbons can be seen behind them. That's how close they were standing to the event.
picture.php

Re: action going...there's about 5-6 sections spread out throughout the m/c park that spectators can hike to. For each section,there's 3 separate lines (novice, inter, expert) available, and only one rider at a time can ride through a section. The total amount of riders in the competition will divided into 5-6 groups. Then each group will start at each section. Each rider goes through the section 3 times (maybe more). ONce everyone in that group completes their 3 rides per section, then they ride to the next section and start the cycle. SO basically, if there's 5 sections, and each rider goes through each section 3 times, that's 15 times each rider gets to ride the entire course. It's typically a full day of riders riding the course. Very few long breaks. The only long break is when one GROUP is taking longer to finish, and so they're holding back the other GROUP from starting. But inbetween a rider to rider, it's usually less than a minute wait time. The spectators will have PLENTY of time to view the event.

Back