• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

For sale: 2008 KLR 685 $3550

Reaction score
SOLD.

Attachments

• IMG_2689.jpg
    IMG_2689.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 303
  • IMG_2690.jpg
    IMG_2690.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 309
  • IMG_2688.jpg
    IMG_2688.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 302
Last edited:
Re: For sale: 2008 KLR 685 $3850

I ride with Don and this bike is very nice. I'd buy anything he's owned, he takes super care of everything.

We do the Cycleworld Adventure ride together.

Wonder if he's selling because he's jealous of my 1190 or the test ride on the Honda AT last summer? ;)

Last edited:

I crush that adventure ride with this KLR. Go team geezer! :) Not sure what I'll be riding next year but I really liked the AT DCT I took around the obstacle course.

BTW ... nobody has asked but that is a fancy ATV cover on the seat. Bought the cover at Walmart. My butt likes it.

Last edited:

Updated advert with the addition of a new valve cover gasket I found in the garage. I was actually looking for a set of Rox risers but can't find them. Anyway, I bought this valve cover gasket when I did the 685 kit but reused the old gasket instead. Why? Well, I like to replace any gasket I touch when I work but the valve cover gasket wasn't original, because I had replaced the original gasket when I adjusted valves awhile ago, and it was still in perfect shape. So, I reused it when doing the 685 work.

2008 KLR
Price: $3,850
Miles: 11,133
Title: yep
Condition: Has some rub marks. Runs well.

Remarks:

Took the bike to the CycleWorld Rally in the Rockies the last two years. It ran the mountains in Colorado just fine and will also get you to the grocery store if needed. It gets all the normal maintenance work of course, i.e. brakes, coolant, tires, oil changes, air filter cleaning, swingarm lube, etc. You can see from the comments below that I’ve done other work on the bike as I saw the need.

I am the second owner and it was stock when I bought it. I think the bike had about 4200 miles on it. So, as you can tell I don’t ride it that much … but when I do its great fun.

Why the sale? I think I am going to a larger adv bike. Yeah, cha ching! It makes sense for me. I am ready for more power and more comfort for the longer BCD rides. Yes, the KLR will handle what I have in mind but I am ready to try something different. I really think I am going to miss this bike. Its light. Its nimble. It rides well.

I run IRC GP1 tires on the bike and they work the best for me. In fact, they are significantly better than most other tires I’ve run on the bike. The front tire looks good and I have an extra new front tire. The rear is starting to show wear. Nope, I don’t know how many miles are on it. When they wear out I just change them out and I don’t care how many miles are on them so I don’t keep track of the mileage.

There is a new water pump (parts) for the bike because I was going to pull the clutch cover and clean the sump screen. If I was going to pull the water pump to do this … well the parts are so cheap ... I was going to replace the water pump with a new one when reassembling. However, I never got to this work but the next owner will have the parts if they should wish to do the job.

Front End
- fork brace
- gold valves
- progressive springs

Engine
- doohickey
- 685cc kit
- thermo bob
- mech cam chain tensioner
- thumb screw pilot
- 2cent mod

Guards, mounts and stuff
- handlebar guards
- engine guard
- center stand
- rear luggage racks
- heated grips

Extra parts that come with bike (anything I can find for it in garage)
- new set of cables: clutch & throttle
- new air filter
- new GP1 front tire
- new water pump parts
- new clutch cover gasket
- new valve cover gasket

Are you pretty sure this thing has been off road? It looks suspiciously clean...
With the mods you've done and the prices of new stuff these days, it seems like a deal!
You're welcome to take my 1200 LC GSA for a spin if you wish. You're right about the pavement issues with smaller DS bikes. Running that puppy at 75 will jelly you frickin kidneys.

Are you pretty sure this thing has been off road? It looks suspiciously clean...
With the mods you've done and the prices of new stuff these days, it seems like a deal!
You're welcome to take my 1200 LC GSA for a spin if you wish. You're right about the pavement issues with smaller DS bikes. Running that puppy at 75 will jelly you frickin kidneys.

I can verify that it has and even have the pictures from Colorado to prove it. All the pictures are of his back because, as you know, the KLR is always out in front. :rofl: :rider:

Thanks Bill! May take you up on that ride offer. Um ... does it need to be clean when I return it?

Even parked I am in front of the KTM 1190! Picture taken in front of liars bench. Hmm.

Attachments

• me.jpg
    me.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 171

Another Colorado picture. This is the view from the top of Cumberland pass ... 12k feet. About to head down the "hill" to have lunch in Tincup.

Attachments

• IMG_2642.jpg
    IMG_2642.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 202
Last edited:

Hey! About some love for the Tiger? Seriously, that KLR went places I wouldn't dream of taking the Tiger. It's the little engine that could.

Attachments

• IMG_0426.JPG
    IMG_0426.JPG
    125.1 KB · Views: 184
  • IMG_0427.JPG
    IMG_0427.JPG
    117.8 KB · Views: 166
I have been drooling over this bike on craigslist for weeks. It looks like the perfect KLR. I am looking to get down to one bike later plus find something I can actually pick up by myself in my advanced age. I can only hope when I sell my 2 Triumphs, That I can find one exactly like yours. I find it hard to believe that it's still available.

Thanks! Its been a labor of love. Personally, I've never had problems picking up bikes. Not an issue with any bike so far and I've had to help friends on occasion. My advice is not to let weight be an issue for you. Pick a bike that can be ridden well and figure out how to pick it up. I watch the GS guys practice and they all manage by themselves ... guys and gals alike. Its confidence and technique.

Thanks again for your nice reply.

My knees are the problem. I can hardly pick myself up off the ground. There are a lot of KLR's for sale out there, It's the 685 kit that interest me the most. Any idea what kind of HP gain over stock?

I think you got it wrong about power. KLR? What power? ... my KTM buddies would ask me.

So, my 2008 KLR was burning oil. Big deal I say. Its typical of an 08. It only burned oil when running 70 mph on highways and it used maybe 6-7 ounces a week. Oil is cheap. I'll repeat that ... oil is cheap. I did the 685 kit for several reasons and gaining power never crossed my mind. The internet will have you believing all kinds of crazy ****. Friggin web. How much more power is 10% more of nothing?

I did the 685 kit because I like to wrench and I was curious if my bike would be smoother with less reciprocating mass. I was curious if the cylinder was carbon'd up. I wasn't the least bit curious if it would continue to burn oil cuz I was doing the top end properly. Oh! I wanted to say my bike had the 685 kit because the interweb would have you believe that any 08 KLR without the kit is no good. Pure nonsense. My bike ran fine before the kit and runs modestly better with the 685 kit.

I think my bike starts faster. Runs a smidge smoother. Has a slightly stronger felt thump thump when it runs. There is no friggin way your going to feel any power gain. No way. If somebody spends another $500 to port their head and more money to put on a pumper carb or swap a sprocket then they will notice something. But at this point I think you've lost your mind. if you really want to notice a power gain then loose 50 lbs of body fat. That your going to notice.

I like to think I am a straight shooter. I could definitely stand to loose 50 lbs. Doing the 685 kit is a step in the right direction but it will only make your bike a very very very very modestly better bike. It cost me a ton of money and I argue that its simply not worth it for the guy that doesn't enjoy wrenching and plans on keeping his bike. It just isn't. You buy the kit for like $300. You then ship off your cylinder and piston to get the machine work done for another $130. Your going to need: additional gaskets, o-rings, sealant, assembly lube, wrist pin install tools, extra wrist pin clips, etc. etc. Can't imagine adding more $$ to pay someone to do the work.

LOL .. ok so I like telling it like it is. I dislike passing along internet malarky. The truth is that most bikes don't need the 685 kit but that doing the kit ... and I mean doing the work correctly ... adds to the value of the bike. The fact that it got a solid top end should not be diminished by hype you find on the internet that would cause you to disbelieve the value of the work. Just don't get caught up in unrealistic claims.

The 08 650 KLR is a solid bike. The 08 685 bike is a better bike if the work was done well.

For all readers ... the above comments are meant to help a TWTEX member make a purchase decision. I don't mean to spin off into a maintenance chat. And it is definitely not an invitation to debate the KLR 685 kit. Greatly appreciate it if you would not post any comments about top end work on the KLR. Another forum would be more appropriate. Help me stay on topic.

Thanks! -FB

Last edited by a moderator:
I started to post last night that the 685 in an 08, would haul my 300lbs. ever so slightly better than my stock 08 did.....but I stopped not wanting to mess with your thread :clap:

I think you got it wrong about power. KLR? What power? ... my KTM buddies would ask me. <--- You got that right.

So, my 2008 KLR was burning oil. Big deal I say. Its typical of an 08. It only burned oil when running 70 mph on highways and it used maybe 6-7 ounces a week. Oil is cheap. I'll repeat that ... oil is cheap. I did the 685 kit for several reasons and gaining power never crossed my mind. The internet will have you believing all kinds of crazy schitt. Friggin web. How much more power is 10% more of nothing?

I did the 685 kit because I like to wrench and I was curious if my bike would be smoother with less reciprocating mass. I was curious if the cylinder was carbon'd up. I wasn't the least bit curious if it would continue to burn oil cuz I was doing the top end properly. Oh! I wanted to say my bike had the 685 kit because the interweb would have you believe that any 08 KLR without the kit is no good. Pure nonsense. My bike ran fine before the kit and runs modestly better with the 685 kit.

I think my bike starts faster. Runs a smidge smoother. Has a slightly stronger felt thump thump when it runs. There is no friggin way your going to feel any power gain. No way. If somebody spends another $500 to port their head and more money to put on a pumper carb or swap a sprocket then they will notice something. But at this point I think you've lost your mind. if you really want to notice a power gain then loose 50 lbs of body fat. That your going to notice.

I like to think I am a straight shooter. I could definitely stand to lose 50 lbs. Doing the 685 kit is a step in the right direction but it will only make your bike a very very very very modestly better bike. It cost me a ton of money and I argue that its simply not worth it for the guy that doesn't enjoy wrenching and plans on keeping his bike. It just isn't. You buy the kit for like $300. You then ship off your cylinder and piston to get the machine work done for another $130. Your going to need: additional gaskets, o-rings, sealant, assembly lube, wrist pin install tools, extra wrist pin clips, etc. etc. Can't imagine adding more $$ to pay someone to do the work.

LOL .. ok so I like telling it like it is. I dislike passing along internet malarky. The truth is that most bikes don't need the 685 kit but that doing the kit ... and I mean doing the work correctly ... adds to the value of the bike. The fact that it got a solid top end should not be diminished by hype you find on the internet that would cause you to disbelieve the value of the work. Just don't get caught up in unrealistic claims.

The 08 650 KLR is a solid bike. The 08 685 bike is a better bike if the work was done well.

For all readers ... the above comments are meant to help a TWTEX member make a purchase decision. I don't mean to spin off into a maintenance chat. And it is definitely not an invitation to debate the KLR 685 kit. Greatly appreciate it if you would not post any comments about top end work on the KLR. Another forum would be more appropriate. Help me stay on topic.

Thanks! -FB

I have to agree with Don 100%. I think he could stand to lose 50 lbs also... ;)

Last edited:
Back