• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Swinging side car . . .

cdc

Registered Lurker
Forum Supporter
Reaction score
First Name
Camilo
Last Name
Diaz
Hardy, Steve . . . .

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ib7K3neGHo4&feature=player_embedded"]Gaicht3.MOV HP2 Schwenker - YouTube[/ame]

K1600GT-swing_zpseb1d3c28.jpg

I don't know if it's just me, but does anyone else feel like this isn't necessarily the safest idea?

What I mean is, if the rider needs to go deeper into their right turn, wouldn't the side-car's body be blocking his potential safe zone?

I don't know - I could be wrong, but that's just what it looks like in the video. As a matter of fact, it looks like the body becomes a problem at 2:05.

Not only that, but if the rider needs to swerve to the right for whatever reason, and if there's a barrier or an object to the right, then isn't the passenger's life basically compromised?

I feel like these side cars aren't such a good idea lol

What I mean is, if the rider needs to go deeper into their right turn, wouldn't the side-car's body be blocking his potential safe zone?
You just have to adjust your riding. With a conventional sidecar you can't lean at all - I would think this setup would be safe in corners up to a much higher speed than a regular sidecar rig (assuming the passenger is just a passenger and not actively participating like in a sidecar race). The safe corner speed would probably still be somewhat less than without a sidecar though.

I don't know - I could be wrong, but that's just what it looks like in the video. As a matter of fact, it looks like the body becomes a problem at 2:05.
It does look like he may have lost traction on that corner, but that's from going in too hot. On the plus side, the sidecar may have saved him from a lowside crash.

Not only that, but if the rider needs to swerve to the right for whatever reason, and if there's a barrier or an object to the right, then isn't the passenger's life basically compromised?

Isn't that the same in a four wheeled car? I know I don't want the driver to swerve the right half of the car into a concrete barrier when I'm in the passenger seat.

I like it. I think that curve at 2:05 was him goosing it into a slide.

Pretty cool.

Reminds me of the Equilean I saw in Colorado years ago.
Equalean_sidecar.1395525_std.jpg

Anything that let's the motorcycle be a motorcycle is a plus in my book.

The one I built for my Guzzi did not slow me down in right hand corners as I usually did not drag the floorboards. I could lean into the car to within a inch and a half of the board dragging. It was still as stable as solo at 105mph with a full load of camping gear.

In the pic you can see the lean stop that catches the crashbars just in front and to the right of the step beside of the car.

Unlike the Equilean, the Schwenker sidecar does not lean. Only the bike leans.

One thing I have to say in favor of sidecar outfits, it would let a precision sized rider like me wheel around on that long legged BMW HP2 I would not even consider otherwise. And my dog could come with me. She would love it.

What would happen if the side car hit a Austin pot hole on a sirious lean and the M/C didn't?

He is an excellent rider. A passenger almost has him sharing the car on hard right turns. I guess with him leaning there's less risk of unloading the car. It looks like a great rig for faster riders.

One thing I have to say in favor of sidecar outfits, it would let a precision sized rider like me wheel around on that long legged BMW HP2 I would not even consider otherwise. And my dog could come with me. She would love it.

+1 (x a million) :clap:

pretty nice actually
seems like you'd never fly the chair with this leaner
would love to try one

Hi,

it`s me - the owner of the orange K1600GT Swing.

My introduction

Driving a leaner is not more dangerous than driving a solo-bike -

but please consider : my friend Cowy with his HP2-Schwenker is more of a Stuntman than a regular Driver.

Any questions ?

Michael

Last edited:

[ame="[MEDIA=youtube]tvlJ4SbYFQM[/MEDIA]"]SIR ARTHUR BMW at YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:
K1600GT The Smiling one

[ame="[MEDIA=youtube]7GH4OSKtG8k[/MEDIA]"]YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:
[ame="[MEDIA=youtube]8Si5qhn1UtA[/MEDIA]"]ALPES MARITIMES - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:
Back