• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Bandit lifting

Kelsen

Reaction score
I'm curious what folks use for lifting the Bandit -- for tire changing, or general maintenance. I've looked at some 1500-lb lifts, the kind with two arms, but on my bike the lowest thing by more than an inch is the header pipe, so I don't think that would work.

Any ideas, folks? I can just use the center stand for the rear wheel, and some kin of simple stand for the front, but it would be nice to have something to raise the whole bike up to make inspection, cleaning, and various work easier.

2008 Bandit 1250

RFT!!!
Dave Kelsen
--
"The foolish and the dead alone never change their opinions." -- James Russell Lowell

I don't have a Bandit and did not stay at Holiday Inn recently; but I do like my Harbor Freight hydraulic bike lift. Very easy on my creaky old knees and back.:trust:

I'm curious what folks use for lifting the Bandit -- for tire changing, or general maintenance. I've looked at some 1500-lb lifts, the kind with two arms, but on my bike the lowest thing by more than an inch is the header pipe, so I don't think that would work.

Any ideas, folks? I can just use the center stand for the rear wheel, and some kin of simple stand for the front, but it would be nice to have something to raise the whole bike up to make inspection, cleaning, and various work easier.

2008 Bandit 1250

RFT!!!
Dave Kelsen
--

Sometimes a couple of short lengths of 2x4, judiciously placed, make those lifts fit perfectly. Then screw the pieces together and next time you're ready to go.

I love my lift (Handy knock-off) and if you decide to invest the capital you'll never ever regret it. Mine is 30" wide allowing for easy ride up with much less concern about your foot slipping off the edge.

I've seen some plans showing how to build a semi-stand from wood. It didn't get the bike up 30" off the ground but anything is better than laying on the concrete.

Bottom line - a good quality bike lift puts a lot of joy into maintenance and cleaning of a motorcycle. In fact, if I ever sell the bike I'll likely keep the lift for working on other projects. It makes a nice picnic table during crawfish boils and brisket cooks. ;-)

spend the money on a good lift. Your back and legs will love you lots. I prefer air rather than hyd.

Handy Lift with K&L scissor lift....

IMG_20140504_132753_zps070c667c.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Not this brand but this basic same type of setup. Trust it more then some random lifts although they do work in a pinch for something quick! :)

51VijY8QQzL._SY355_.jpg

The one big downfall of buying a Motorcycle lift.....You will regret not buying it long ago. ;-)
As others posted I use it to work on all types of implements and it makes a great work table for projects. I save bigs sheets of cardboard from boxes to cover it.

NortononLift_zps8c8ab893.jpg

The one big downfall of buying a Motorcycle lift.....You will regret not buying it long ago. ;-)
As others posted I use it to work on all types of implements and it makes a great work table for projects. I save bigs sheets of cardboard from boxes to cover it.

Boy, aint that the truth! By far one of the best tools I've ever purchased...bought mine in 1997. Its had dozens of bikes on it doing everything from oil changes to full on down to the frame restorations.

Picture004.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Picture111.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

SXV2.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:
Nice Chuck! Needless to say the big projects require a lift.
For the record I am not trying to "one up" you. :-P

I will match you with a smoker and then brag while you are cold and snowed in we were out playing. :trust:

Its riding season here in the desert SW!! Another way to 'lift' a bike....

Sept16wheelie.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:
I just got a stand at Discountramps.com. I got the rear stand and then bought the prongs for the front stand and can lift both ends. I tried it the other day, just to lift the rear tire and it is great. Easy and fairly cheap. Good quality. Should last me a lifetime. Be sure and use the discount codes listed on the page for about 10% discount.

I have never used a stand like this before but it is great and easy to use.

I tried various means to lift the bike to remove tires but this is sturdy and like I said EASY to use.

There are cheaper stands out there and more expensive (Pitbull) one but this is good quality and should be good for a long time.

Front and rear cycle gear track stands. They are often on sale for under $100 a set. In a pinch, I put hooks in the rafters and use ratchet straps and a canyon dancer on the bars.

Back