• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

2014 KTM 500 Exc assistance

jfink

Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Last Name
Fink
I had a valve cover leak that got the engine oily. Removed the tank, washed the engine and the tank. Reassembled and it ran fine. Next day, no fuel pump. But I noticed there was water in the bottom of the connector, when I opened it up. I am wondering if maybe some water got into the connector while I was washing it but not enough to cause problems immediately, so it ran. Then, overnight it drained back down into the base of the connector and then shorted out power from the ECU? There is continuity from the ECU to the Pump connector, there is 12v when turned on with no connection, but no voltage when connected to the fuel pump.

Is there anyone in the Houston area willing to allow me to use their KTM 500 Exc ECU to test my ECU? Or if more comfortable allow me to insert my ECU into your bike to see if indeed the problem is my ECU? I would appreciate it. We don't even need to run the bike, just turn it on to see if the fuel pump runs. If the fuel pump runs with your ECU but not with mine, I will have my answer. Buy a new ECU @ >$300.

Thanks in advance ...

Last edited:
Not in H-town, but sure, glad to help any way possible. Also, and maybe helpful, I have the stock tank with fuel pump in it if you wanted to give that a try, easy. And spare "stuff."

This is probably stupid, but did you check the fuses? That FP connector is a darn nice one and, IMO, unlikely to let water in. Mine was ridden in the Pacific with no problems.

But ~175mi from downtown Houston, horrible place that that is.

Last edited:
Oh yeah, daine brammage! I forgot I posted this. Well, being the slightly ADHD type, I gave everyone about 15 minutes to respond, and then went a different direction. :-) I sent it in to Munn Racing in Waco, (that's another postal service story, but I digress).

After Chip and Dan had a go at it they found the same thing that I did, the ECU was fried. Everything worked except the circuit that turned on the fuel pump. A new ECU with the EU mapping and YEAH!!! it screams! All is well. I do have an extra ECU that works except for the circuit that runs the fuel pump. Run a jumper from the battery to the hot side of the fuel pump and it works like a charm. :-)

Not in H-town, but sure, glad to help any way possible. Also, and maybe helpful, I have the stock tank with fuel pump in it if you wanted to give that a try, easy. And spare "stuff."

This is probably stupid, but did you check the fuses? That FP connector is a darn nice one and, IMO, unlikely to let water in. Mine was ridden in the Pacific with no problems.

But ~175mi from downtown Houston, horrible place that that is.

VERY COOL of you to offer!!! I spent a lot of time with a VOMeter trying to figure out where the voltages were. After checking many things, including running a jumper from the battery to the hot side of the fuel pump (which ran the pump), the only issue had to be in the ECU (see above post). Chip and Dan at Munn Racing confirmed this and the easy (although not cheap) fix was a new ECU with the European Map. The thing runs like a scalded ape now.

Lesson learned, make sure everything is dry before reconnecting the components.

Thanks again for your offer.

Last edited:
VERY COOL of you to offer!!! I spent a lot of time with a VOMeter trying to figure out where the voltages were. After checking many things, including running a jumper from the battery to the hot side of the fuel pump (which ran the pump), the only issue had to be in the ECU (see above post). Chip and Dan at Munn Racing confirmed this and the easy (although not cheap) fix was a new ECU with the European Map. The thing runs like a scalded ape now.

Lesson learned, make sure everything is dry before reconnecting the components.

Thanks again for your offer.

Superb seals on those connectors but a bit of extra dielectric grease can't hurt, can it? :mrgreen:

Superb seals on those connectors but a bit of extra dielectric grease can't hurt, can it? :mrgreen:

I take little solace in the fact that Chip at Munn Racing said they do what I did all the time and never had a problem. The tank was off the bike at the time I washed it. Next time, I will air blow the connector before re-assembling it.

I take little solace in the fact that Chip at Munn Racing said they do what I did all the time and never had a problem. The tank was off the bike at the time I washed it. Next time, I will air blow the connector before re-assembling it.

Puff Puff, click click, Rofl Rofl

:duck:

Puff Puff, click click, Rofl Rofl

Ok, I may still be on pain meds, so that didn't come out exactly the way I meant it. :-) :lol2: I will air dry the connector before reconnecting it. Better? ;-)

Last edited:
Back