• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Minimum (legal) riding passenger age in Texas

Looks like a great product! :mrgreen:

Has anyone tried them? The only thought that comes to mind is that my jacket would cover my belt... I wonder if they are attachable to the outside of the jacket somehow? Or another work-around?

My husband has a strap that fits around his jacket like a belt....that's what our daughter holds onto...however, after seeing these, It looks like they would just clip right onto that strap...I wonder how well that would work??

Re: House Bill 4449 - passengers under 5 years of age

good intentions gone wrong again

at least someone was with the child, safer than riding around unsupervised on neighborhood streets on a tricycle or motorized pink Barbi mobile

good intentions gone wrong again

at least someone was with the child, safer than riding around unsupervised on neighborhood streets on a tricycle or motorized pink Barbi mobile

nonsense! I rode around the hood on my jeep power wheel all the time. I am alive to post on the forum today, so I must have been okay.

Who the ****'s business is it how old my son or daughter is to ride on the back of my motorcycle? I have seen 3 year olds that can ride a bike with no training wheels, and 4 year olds that would make you wonder why you even try to ride good in the first place, so the argument is moot.

Just skimmed thread and didn't see it mentioned so I guess I will...

Be careful.. kids tend to fall asleep...

Just a thought....

(my 10y/o gets so relaxed he has to be poured out of my hack)

Notice that the person(s) behind this is a professional lobbyist....

I used to run my kids around on the DRZ250 (street legal) with gear on and between me and the tank when I lived in the Rio Grand Valley. They would grab the bars and I could lock them in with my legs. I only did that in very limited conditions and never around traffic.

I was too concerned about the odd ball not paying attention hitting me. With just me on the bike, I accept that risk, it just bothered me too much to put them at what I perceived was greater risk (in traffic). They were 2,4,6 at the time.

I don't think I am ready to ride with them on the back until they can reach the rear pegs and they are too big to ride in between me and the tank now as their feet would need somewhere to rest.

Staton

But isn't that our decision to make, whether to take that risk, assessing all possible known factors? As long as the child has the physical ability to reach the footpegs and the wherewithall (sp?) to hold on and pay attention, I believe it's a parent's right to make that decision. Now, having said that, I also believe that under a certain age (say 12?), there should be a mandatory backrest. The kid gets tired, loosens his/her grip and the rider accelarates. Not a good combination.

But isn't that our decision to make, whether to take that risk, assessing all possible known factors? As long as the child has the physical ability to reach the footpegs and the wherewithall (sp?) to hold on and pay attention, I believe it's a parent's right to make that decision. Now, having said that, I also believe that under a certain age (say 12?), there should be a mandatory backrest. The kid gets tired, loosens his/her grip and the rider accelarates. Not a good combination.

Yep. It is our decision to make as a parent. I made mine. No criticism from me on this. Just my choice as I described the conditions (traffic) I mentioned. Although I would say, if a parent had a child out with out gear, I would feel the urge to discuss it with them. But that's just me.

I made footpeg risers up so Nathan could ride with me on my bike, its was hard to keep him off the bike, so I had the bike fit him. He has been on bikes for a long time.. Dad would take him out on the goldwing with the use of a bungee cord to hold the arm rest together at the age of 3.

:headbang:

Ugh...we just fought a bill here in Washington that was trying to add restrictions (on top of a minimum age of 5) that would require the child to reach the footpegs AND have a backrest/hand holds. :angryfire:hack::headbang::headbang::headbang: Thankfully, the bill died in committee. We didn't just send an email to our reps-we showed up at the senate committee hearing and spoke against it. We even pulled the girls out of school for it!

I understand how some people might think it's way too dangerous for a young child to ride. I understand that some families have made the decision to limit their child's riding to the age when they can reach the footpegs. I understand that some have decided to always have a backrest for their young passenger. I understand how some people may be uncomfortable seeing a small child on the back of a motorcycle.

Your (generic, collective term here) discomfort is not my concern or my problem. It's yours. We are happily riding along and enjoying the fruits of our own decision to ride and the risks that come with those decisions. It's nobody's business but ours. If you (remember: generic, collective use here) have unpleasant feelings it doesn't and shouldn't change the reality of our liberty within our family.

That said, for those that may not know let me cover what we as the Zimmerman family do. Both of our girls started riding young. Cassie started at 5 and Savannah at 3. :eek2: For quite a while they couldn't reach the footpegs. For quite a while there was no topcase behind them. But we started them out with trips around the block/neighborhood. We stressed to them the seriousness of riding and if they did not demonstrate the same attitude the riding would stop. As they got older and more experienced, they started to go across town. After a while, they would go to the next town; then on Pie Runs, and later, across state lines. They are now almost 10 and 8. They have 5-6K miles under their belt. We have always had them (and us) ride in full gear and for longer rides we would use bike to bike communicators. We always stop every 100 miles and stretch. We don't ride more than 350 miles in a day. This is part of our family identity and we have seen many wonderful things as a result of this. The girls know how to ride properly, always in gear no matter the temp, and they have many great family memories on our adventures.

Do our steps for our safety match up with some of the suggestions here? Sure. But there is a clear difference: we did not and will not impose our decisions for riding on anyone else. It's not our responsibility. Nobody should impose their feelings (good or otherwise) on us.

+1
I have to agree with my husband and not just because he's my husband. It's my decision as parent to ride with my children(whatever their age). For those of you who know us, and know us well, know that we ride as safe as possible with or without our children on the bike. We also believe that if someone chooses to ride without gear, without a helmet, etc. that is their right(if the law still allows them to).

We went to legislature up here to fight the very law because they wanted to make a law that a child riding between the ages of 5 and 12 had to be to touch the foot pegs and have a back rest or hand rests. The law is already that they have to be 5. My testimony in the capitol was if they start legislating it there, where will it end. Boating is huge up here and life jackets saves lives, but it will not save the life of a child that falls in the lake in February and is in it for just a few minutes. What about snow skiing? We strap skis to 3-5 yr olds and send them down a mountain. You want to talk about dangerous. It is a parents responsibility to weigh the risks and benefits of any outdoors sports. Don't even get me started on the dangers of football. There are risks in every single thing you do in life. From walking out the door, to walking down the steps, to driving a car to flying in an airplane and everything in between. We do our best as parents to keep our kids as safe as possible, but we have to allow them to live or they will never experience anything.

Just my 2 cents

I don't have an issue with a bill that requires them to touch the pegs or the age restriction on public roads.

The following is a little of topic.

What do you guys think of having Sputnik as a spokesman from the MC community on this issue? From what I understand, he is the founder of the Texas Motorcycle Rights Association.http://www.tmra2.org

image_8550103.jpg

He has been in every one of the last 17 sessions (IIRC) of the Legislature. More than most legislators.

He was key in bringing to light the fact that money earmarked for motorcycle training generated by motorcycle registration is being "misappropriated" by the DPS.

He's the face of motorcycling for the Texas Legislature because no one else can equal his record of dedication and perseverance. No matter what else you think or feel, that's a simple fact, and his record is beyond dispute. He wields a lot of clout in the Leg.

I realize this is resurrecting an old thread but I noticed in the list of new Texas laws effective 9/1/2009, the minimum age for passengers on motorcycles is 5 unless riding in a sidecar. Reference HB537.

poser v 2.0 will be showing up with in a few weeks, and some friends gave us this cool hiking style framed back pack for carrying a kiddo.
The wife isn't to keen on me packing him up and taking him for ride though. Can't figure out why

I realize this is resurrecting an old thread but I noticed in the list of new Texas laws effective 9/1/2009, the minimum age for passengers on motorcycles is 5 unless riding in a sidecar. Reference HB537.

I just found the bill - http://www.legis.state.tx.us/tlodocs/81R/billtext/pdf/HB00537F.pdf

Page 3, lines 5-14. This sucks!!!

So, any officers out there want to give us a better interpretation? It says that an "emergency" would constitute an acceptable reason. But, really? WTH?

There are plenty of 4 year olds that are perfectly able to reach passenger pegs. Doesn't Perry and our illustrious state legislation have anything better to do??? How about all those illegal kids bouncing around the tiny little cars like jumping beans? I'd like to see that get enforced!

:doh:

It's like the reverse of "how old are you kid" at the movie theather. ;-)

Back