• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

The camera we've been waiting for? Olympus OM-D E-M%

Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Gibbens
Did Olympus just release an ILC (mirrorless, interchangeable lens compact camera) DSLR killer? The internet buzz could easily lead us to believe the day has finally arrived - an ILC equal to a DSLR.

OMD_front+lens_b.jpg

Olympus just announced the release of a new Micro four thirds camera - the E-M5, which is the first camera in their new OM-D class of cameras. The specs and initial reports has the photo community sitting up and taking notice. This camera seemingly was designed for advanced and professional users and includes most everything from the "wish list" these users have specified they want/need in this class of camera.

- DSLR fast auto-focus speed
- high ISO capabilities
- built-in, high image quality, fast refresh, electronic viewfinder
- weatherproof body
- metal alloy chassis
- fast burst shooting
- decent battery life
- great selection of lenses
- sufficient megapixels for good image resolution

OMD_left%252Blens_s.jpg

OMD_back_best_s_p01.jpg

Olympus seems to have hit the spot with this camera. The E-M5 appears to meet all the above specs plus a few more.

If the camera truly lives up to the hype then it will likely be a game changer.

For the riding community, imaging having DSLR capabilities in a camera and lens combo half the size of a typical DSLR. A camera that will easily fit in your tank bag but capable of producing image quality equal of the top of the line APS-C DSLR cameras. Time will tell, but this could turn out to be a fantastic travel camera.

For the riding community, imaging having DSLR capabilities in a camera and lens combo half the size of a typical DSLR. A camera that will easily fit in your tank bag but capable of producing image quality equal of the top of the line APS-C DSLR cameras. Time will tell, but this could turn out to be a fantastic travel camera.

You would buy this over another Canon G11 (or 12)?

Lenses? Are these using a different series than the standard SLR/DSLR len?

I was under the impression the body would accept standard SLR/DSLR glass.

You would buy this over another Canon G11 (or 12)?

Absolutely. I like the G11 a lot but it has some limitations for use as my motorcycling camera that have resulted in me not carrying it when I ride. The biggest issue is that it is too slow to focus and too slow between shots. That ruins it for me. IF the new G1X had fixed those issues then it would have been a serious contender, for me, as a travel camera.

The slow focus, slow time between shots is what has mostly kept me from considering the ILCs as a choice for mc travel use. Now that the focus and shot processing speeds are getting much faster on the ILCs they become a lot more attractive to me as a mc travel camera.

Scott,

I'm not an expert on the lenses for the M4:3 cameras but smaller sensors enable smaller lenses. Lenses built specifically for M4:3 are smaller than lenses built for APSC-C and full frame camera.

One of the complaints about the Sony ILCs is the APS-C size sensor means lenses the same size as those used on DSLRs - i.e. small camera with a big lens is cumbersome.

Hmmmmm......Is it smart to wait until the next generation of this comes out, when all the customer feedback and bugs become engineered fixes to "version 2"

Sensor size is one (big) part, but flange distance is another. Smaller flange distance allows smaller optics for a given image circle size (and focal length / aperture), so both this and sensor size helps. The Sony's actually have a smaller flange distance than the m43 standard (by 2mm or 10%), but larger sensor.

Having a small flange distance also means you can easily/cheaply get adapters to use other lens mounts on the m43 cameras. So, you can mount a Leica screw-mount lens or Canon or Nikon or standard four-thirds lens, etc, etc all on m43. Very cool for lens nerds! These almost always are manual-focus only, though.

Basically, m43 was the first camera and lens mount system really designed to allow small camera bodies and lenses. Others are doing this now, but m43 has a clear lead.

The m43 lenses are small. There are several prime lenses less than one inch long, and several more around two inches. But if you really want small, go for the CCTV lenses like this one.

A non-related but 'big deal' feature for me is that this camera is weather sealed, and so is the kit 12-50mm lens that it comes with.

yeah, I'm getting one...

Hmmmmm......Is it smart to wait until the next generation of this comes out, when all the customer feedback and bugs become engineered fixes to "version 2"

Interesting question. My perception is that cameras generally don't get released as "version 2". For example, your D700 was the first generation of that model. Nikon never came out with a D700v2.0. Instead, after several years of making the D700 they just replaced it with a completely new camera, the D800.

Sometimes the camera makers will release an upgraded version of a model (Nikon D300 went to D300S, Canon 5D went to 5D Mark II), but these are most often touted as feature/capability upgrades and not bug fixes. And it is often up to 3 years between the initial release and the upgrade release.

Even so, it might be smart to wait until a new model has been on the market for awhile to see how it fares in real world use (which can be quite different than what the marketing literature says) and to see if the price drops after the initial splash.

Same could be asked about a new bike, new car, new computer, new anything... My view is that if you like what's being offered and the price its going for, then buy it. Otherwise, wait. Next generation will always be better and cheaper, but isn't available today.

Hmmmmmmm I'll stick with my G12. A shot a second is fast enuff for what I do, plus, when on the move, can get it out of the tank bag, turn it on, take a picture with in 10 seconds. All with just the left hand. I could not do that with my Rebel D1000.

Same could be asked about a new bike, new car, new computer, new anything... My view is that if you like what's being offered and the price its going for, then buy it. Otherwise, wait. Next generation will always be better and cheaper, but isn't available today.

Which is why I'm still married to the same girl after 28 years :rofl: :sun: :giveup: :trust: :clap:

mie aandroid fone haaz a 8mp camera, duz that count?? :lol2:

Yes it does...unless you're printing anything over 8x10, all you really need is 6mp. Most people fall into the MP trap and all they ever do is put their photos on online.

Yes it does...unless you're printing anything over 8x10, all you really need is 6mp. Most people fall into the MP trap and all they ever do us put their photos on online.

Too true. I have printed 16x20 with my 12mp Olympus and they are sharp as can be even when getting right up on them. I will say this though, my old 6mp Canon will blow away my 8mp Android smartphone camera. Not even close, no way no how.

As for this camera, while it is nice and newer than my current camera, I am just really excited about the new crop of M4/3 lens options that will follow. :)

Too true. I have printed 16x20 with my 12mp Olympus and they are sharp as can be even when getting right up on them. I will say this though, my old 6mp Canon will blow away my 8mp Android smartphone camera. Not even close, no way no how.

As for this camera, while it is nice and newer than my current camera, I am just really excited about the new crop of M4/3 lens options that will follow. :)

All the MP's in the world is meaningless when you are using a crappy lens the size of a sweet tart. :lol2:

Back