• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

My new custom billet aluminum crankshaft cover

Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Brown
I never liked the stock crankshaft cover, so here's what I just replaced it with that I custom machined out or 6061 T-6 aluminum for my personal 1250. I keep forgetting when I go to my metric bolt supplier, but next time I go, I'm picking up S/S socket head screws to replace all of the clutch and magneto cover bolts.

015_zpsc013580e.jpg

007_zpsb6384ed0.jpg

Very nice work. :thumb:

CNC?

No, I made it using a combination of conventional machining processes.

It's a two piece cover, and I mapped out the mounting hole location from the stock cover on my mill using my digital readout. I then squared up a 3/8" aluminum plate and drilled the mounting holes in the plate.

I then located the stock cover on the new base plate which I applied Dykem layout fluid to, and aligned it with (5) 1/4" dowel pins through mounting holes in the stock cover and into the mounting holes in the new base plate. I then scribed the outline of the stock cover onto the new base plate, and then I carefully saw cut along the scribe lines with my band saw, and used my small disk and belt sander to finish the perimeter, followed by some hand filling and smoothing the entire surface with various grade of wet & dry sand paper, followed by polishing. The new base plate matches the mounting area on the crankcase just as well as the stock cover does.

The round slotted overlay was turned on my lathe, and then I cut the slots into the face of it using a 1/8" slitting saw on my mill, and it's bolted on from the back side with a couple of 10/24 bolts, as it's a lot easier to make it two pieces than to machine it out of one solid piece, and I've been using this procedure for years for making lots of other custom parts for the bikes I've owned, and it easy for me to change the look of the part by just making a different style overlay rather that making an entire new cover.

No, I made it using a combination of conventional machining processes.

It's a two piece cover, and I mapped out the mounting hole location from the stock cover on my mill using my digital readout. I then squared up a plate and drilled mounting holes in the plate.

I then located the stock cover on the new base plate which I applied Dykem layout fluid to, and aligned it with (5) 1/4" dowel pins through mounting holes in the stock cover and into the mounting holes in the new base plate. I then scribed the outline of the stock cover onto the new base plate, and then I carefully saw cut along the scribe lines with my band saw, and used my small disk and belt sander to finish the perimeter, followed by some hand filling and hand sanding and smoothing with various grades of wet & dry sand paper, followed by polishing. The new base plate matches the mounting area on the crankcase just as well as the stock cover does.

The round slotted overlay was turned on my lathe, and then I cut the slots into the face of it using a 1/8" slitting saw on my mill, and it's bolted on from the back side with a couple of 10/24 bolts. It's a lot easier to make it two pieces that to machine it out of once solid piece.

Nice manual job. Like the 2 part approach.

Nice manual job. Like the 2 part approach.

Thanks, and I've used this two piece method of making custom motorcycle parts many times over the years when possible, as it saves a lot of work, and it easily gives you the ability to bolt on something different looking very easily if you want to change the look without having to make a whole new part up.

So just go to your local Ace Hardware Store. They have S/S Allen head hex head you name it.

So just go to your local Ace Hardware Store. They have S/S Allen head hex head you name it.

I have an awesome local metric bolt supplier that I've been using for my business for over 6 years now, and they carry only top quality fasteners in all grades, styles and sizes, and they give me really good prices, and their way cheaper than what you'll pay at an Ace Hardware, or any other retail hardware store. :trust:

Back