• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

what gps you running?

what GPS do you run?

• Garmin motorcycle

Votes: 25 47.2%
  • Garmin car

Votes: 9 17.0%
  • TomTom

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Magellan

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • hand held model (montana etc..)

Votes: 8 15.1%
  • other make (e-bay special, etc..)

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • cell phone gps (google map, etc)

Votes: 8 15.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reaction score
First Name
Leon
Last Name
Hogan
I recently saw a ad for the TomTom rider 400 and they are way cheaper than a Garmin and that got me thinking that out of the handful (lol) of pie runs I have been to, all I have ever seen were Garmin or made by garmin GPS units.
does anyone here run a TomTom or will I be the first?

TomTom Rider on the street bike. Garmin 62csx on the dirt bikes. Overall I've been satisfied with the TomTom considering what I paid for it. The display could be brighter. I think Tyre is more intuitive than BaseCamp, but BaseCamp offers far more control over the route. I never used most of the features that came on my now retied Zumo 550. If all that is needed is street level routing and navigation the TomTom is more than adequate.

Leon, I've been a Zumo user since forever but I hate Base Camp and -- for that reason -- have given some thought to switching. For now, I build routes in Tyre and export to .gpx.

When I bought my current VStrom, the package included a Tom Tom Rider GPS. I used it for a few days and - surprise - the screen was actually harder to read than my Garmin car GPS. I'm still using the Garmin.

I use a Garmin app (or WAZE if I want to avoid traffic) on my cell phone. The phone lives in a waterproof LifeProof case and it is mounted with a RAM mount.

When I bought my current VStrom, the package included a Tom Tom Rider GPS. I used it for a few days and - surprise - the screen was actually harder to read than my Garmin car GPS. I'm still using the Garmin.

I searched and searched until I found a screen that were called "day light" or something of the sort. It is more high contract and easier to read, but why it is not default, or why they all are not "day light," is beyond me.

Hey paulcb, how about a "how to" on your setup?

Well, that's somewhat involved. Take a look here and go from there. Feel free to ask me any questions from that. Also, feel free to PM me... you could call me to discuss... much easier talking about it than posting. ;)

GPS's aren't bad when you can take advantage of the "Gotta have new and shiny" group. Bought my Garmin used and it's still taking updates and still getting me lost years later. :D

I'm running a Nuvi 765t the last of the Bluetooth headset compatible Nuvi's.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the Tomtom. It was a Christmas gift or birthday. I have no input since I haven't used it yet. The bike probably has flat spots on the tires. I had a zumo 450 that wasn't serviceable anymore and the customer support for the garmin made me get the Tomtom.

FWIW I had a tom tom in the truck for a short time. It was fine until it got to where the screen was impossible to touch where you wanted to type for the letters. Not sure why that happened. My garmins never did that.

The link was copied improperly, this is the correct one... http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-Inch-Motorcycle-GPS-/302145390427?hash=item465944c75b:g:IG0AAOSwB09YNBv-

The one I bought about 1-1/2 years ago didn't come with any maps or nav software, it only came with Win CE 6.0. I purchase iGo Primo (with NA maps) for about $50 and installed that.

Some of these units come with "maps", although I'm not exactly sure what that means. Search eBay for 5" waterproof motorcycle GPS and you'll see what I mean.

Hey, that's pretty neat, you have any pictures of it mounted? Also, how well does it work with gloved fingers?

Hey, that's pretty neat, you have any pictures of it mounted? Also, how well does it work with gloved fingers?

Here's one when I had it mounted on my dash shelf. I've since moved it to my handlebar, where the Ram mount is in this picture. With it on my handlebars, it's just below the chin guard of my helmet and I don't see the brightness at night. I only have to tilt my head down a little to see it.

It works just fine with gloved fingers, both my summer and heavy winter gloves (Gerbing T5s). The 'buttons' in iGo are glove friendly, i.e. they're pretty big.

Attachments

• IMG_3146.jpg
    IMG_3146.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 110
Last edited:
I added mine up, its kind of embarrassing.
I have: a Garmin Zumo for the bike, a Garmin nuvi in the car, a hand held garmin, the new tomtom rider 400 for the bike, a Magellan car one around here someplace and at work I have a MIO in my service truck.

my quad copter has built in GPS as does the controller for it.

Nothing wrong with being a "gear" or "tech" rat, Leon. I have five sets of ear buds and phones, all for different purposes, plus backup sets of a couple, plus two different booster-equalizers, plus one inline volume control, plus two different MP3 players. Plus my phone.

But only 2 GPS systems - my Nuvi and the Google Maps system that comes native on Galaxy phones.

Back