• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

What do you think?

:tab Well, if you are in the middle of no where and you HAVE to get out... It might be worth a try, even if you bust a spoke or two. I suspect though that once it starts wrapping around the hub, the friction in the rope will stop any further loading on the spokes. So you'd know pretty quick if it was going to go bad or not. I guarantee there were times with my 1150 GS that I was wishing I had a full blown winch to get me out of a few tight spots when I had been riding alone and things went sideways...!! I even carried one of those collapsible army style shovels with me :-P

I notice it didn't show the part of the video of him removing it.

I guess no one wants to see 2 minutes of a great idea to scale a steep shore vs 1 hour of cursing why the **** did I do this to myself (while trying to cut at it with a trail knife)..

:rofl:

I suppose in a pinch if there was no alternative but to go up its a good idea, especially if you go off something that deep, you gotta figure you might be working hurt too... At that point I'm sure whatever is wrapped up around the center of the wheel goes into the zero F's category and would matter so much less than getting to some aid (if needed).

Last edited by a moderator:
I got myself in a bind this past Saturday as usual being on my 950 in a place I shouldn't have been--two miles up Apple Tree Canyon in Cloudcroft. This time I was smart enough to get turned around and find an alternate route instead of having to self-rescue. Maybe I am learning in my old age.

Chris Burch is awesome and I love his videos but at some point these bikes just ain't gonna go in extreme conditions that would even be very difficult on a real dirt bike.. I am not Chris Burch but that last part I know all too well from repeated experience. When you have to bust out winches, home made contraptions and come-alongs, something is wrong.

I got myself in a bind this past Saturday as usual being on my 950 in a place I shouldn't have been--two miles up Apple Tree Canyon in Cloudcroft.

I did that one on my KTM 530 EXC and had fun. The thought of doing it on something bigger is NOT appealing in the slightest!! :giveup:

I did that one on my KTM 530 EXC and had fun. The thought of doing it on something bigger is NOT appealing in the slightest!! :giveup:

We actually had a blast for two days. All I had up there at the time was the big bike, so that is what I swung a leg over. Plus we were dual sporting with a mix of two track and ATV trails thrown in and the 950 actually does really good on all of that--Lucas Canyon, all the Benson Ridge stuff, etc.

Sure Apple Tree is a piece of cake on a small bike. The challenge with a real dirt bike is how fast you can get from the bottom to the top. It is a fun four miles!

I got myself in a bind this past Saturday as usual being on my 950 in a place I shouldn't have been--two miles up Apple Tree Canyon in Cloudcroft. This time I was smart enough to get turned around and find an alternate route instead of having to self-rescue. Maybe I am learning in my old age.

Chris Burch is awesome and I love his videos but at some point these bikes just ain't gonna go in extreme conditions that would even be very difficult on a real dirt bike.. I am not Chris Burch but that last part I know all too well from repeated experience. When you have to bust out winches, home made contraptions and come-alongs, something is wrong.

i have this fear of my big bike crushing me or just dropping it and not being able to pick it up alone, I'm big but my shoulders, knees(well everything) are shot!

:tab Even if you CAN pick up a big bike, it is not fun. It did not take many drops of my 1150 GS to wear me out and sap the fun out of a ride in no time at all... I still enjoy riding my 1200 GS off the pavement, but I do try to stay sane about where I ride it even though it is MUCH easier to pick up than was the 1150 GS!! This past weekend though, I was in much the same situation as John. I was on my 1200 riding two up and our route took us down an interesting "road". So I had to decide if I REALLY wanted to ride this road or find a way around. We decided to go for it, but it turned out to be quite the challenge, especially when we got to a series of STEEP tight switch backs covered in loose rutted gravel!! Daniel got real quite while I worked my way down. Once at the bottom he mentioned that it had been a bit scary, which for him to say is a big deal :lol2:

Last edited:
I think once the rope is wrapped around the wheel a couple of times there wouldn't be any pressure on the spokes. I think the rope isn't going to get tight until 2 or 3 wraps. When you get to the top, just lay the bike on it's side with the motor off and in neutral and the rope should unroll of the rear fairly easy. I would think anyway ! ! ! Looks good on paper anyway ! ! ! :trust: I do think I'll start carrying a roll of 1/2" high working load rope with me on the trails from now on though.

Last edited:
Darn those Aussies! Pretty ingenious bunch of people. I converse with them all the time on ADV about our bike choice. (F650/Dakar) They come up with some great ideas..

I have a rear brake calipers and torque arm on that side of the rear wheel and a sprocket and chain on the other side, I am sure any rope would very quickly get caught up on them and render the idea useless..

Gary

:tab Even if you CAN pick up a big bike, it is not fun. It did not take many drops of my 1150 GS to wear me out and sap the fun out of a ride in no time at all... I still enjoy riding my 1200 GS off the pavement, but I do try to stay sane about where I ride it even though it is MUCH easier to pick up than was the 1150 GS!! This past weekend though, I was in much the same situation as John. I was on my 1200 riding two up and our route took us down an interesting "road". So I had to decide if I REALLY wanted to ride this road or find a way around. We decided to go for it, but it turned out to be quite the challenge, especially when we got to a series of STEEP tight switch backs covered in loose rutted gravel!! Daniel got real quite while I worked my way down. Once at the bottom he mentioned that it had been a bit scary, which for him to say is a big deal :lol2:

We won't tell him you ratted out his manhood, but he will NEVER doubt your riding abilities.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a rear brake calipers and torque arm on that side of the rear wheel and a sprocket and chain on the other side, I am sure any rope would very quickly get caught up on them and render the idea useless..

Gary

Ummm...........sorry ? ? ? ? :rofl: :rider:

Just shared this as it was interesting. I think the thing to remember this was suggested as an extreme option in an extreme situation where you might be alone with no other choice. I sure would at least try it in that situation.

Just shared this as it was interesting. I think the thing to remember this was suggested as an extreme option in an extreme situation where you might be alone with no other choice. I sure would at least try it in that situation.

Yeppers ! ! ! :rider:

Back