• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Hill Country - Hot, Hot, Hot?

philipbarrett

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Question for those who know the Hill Country. When do the temps really hit home for DS riding?

Not afraid of a little heat (been in Dallas nearly 30 years) but there's a point where it all becomes unpleasant especially at lower speeds.

I've been there around July 4 on two different years. One time it was 105 every day, last year it was maybe 88-90.

We are going to rent a cabin on the Frio for a family vacation in June and I'll be bringing a bike.

I been there in the hottest time of the summer..its brutal..I wore all mesh gear with a cooling vest and everytime i stopped somewhere, id soak my entire gear.... worked well for about 45 mins.

Saw 114 F in Sept some years back. That was NOT fun...

I usually won't go after May and typically will start going back around mid to late Sept. I have not been in a while because it just gets so crowded on weekends.

Pretty much after 4th of July the weather can keep it pretty hot until September (or October) but heat is relative to how hydrated you keep yourself I have found. The less hydrated I am the more heat drives me crazy when I am on the bike.

According to the Farmer's Almanac you're looking at June 17th at 1:15 PM

Phooey... EVERYONE knows that the Farmer's Almanac is full of bull puckey. 1:15pm...? Hmmph! :giveup:

According to the much more reliable Poor Richard's, it is 1:23pm... Sheesh :roll:

Hot usually starts around Mid June and lasts until Mid October. But the Frio River outside Leakey will make the ride bearable. Besides, all the masses of riders are not around in mid summer-that makes it even better and safer.

Also, usually, generally, it is only hot hot in the late afternoon. cools down in the evenings and cool mornings.

but i am a native and seek heat.

Back