• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Tanzania Riding

Reaction score
Strange request. I am climbing Kilimanjaro this summer and staying in Tanzania 10 days afterwards. I hope to rent a motorbike and tour the country some.

Does anyone have any experience renting/riding motos in Tanzania?

I know it's a long shot and I am scouring AdvRider and other overland sites but thought some rugged adventurer here might have experience.

Don't have any experience but sure want to know what you figure out. My wife is from Uganda and I hope to do the same one day.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Road Runner Magazine archives also many venders listed for different countries in ads.

Never been to Tanzania, but I have been to Uganda. I saw a number of Europeans & Americans on the road between Jinja and Mbale on pretty plain-Jane bikes, so I guess they're fairly easy to come by. And I did find this link for a rental company in Zanzibar:

http://tanzaniasafariszanzibartrave...-rental-30-day-zanzibar/#sthash.MJo6bQx1.dpbs

FYI, driving there isn't quite as tame and mannerly as, say, Mexico. As a missionary friend of mine explained to me after a near head-on, "There are no rules here. There are a few suggestions....."

Never been to Tanzania, but I have been to Uganda. I saw a number of Europeans & Americans on the road between Jinja and Mbale on pretty plain-Jane bikes, so I guess they're fairly easy to come by. And I did find this link for a rental company in Zanzibar:

http://tanzaniasafariszanzibartrave...-rental-30-day-zanzibar/#sthash.MJo6bQx1.dpbs

FYI, driving there isn't quite as tame and mannerly as, say, Mexico. As a missionary friend of mine explained to me after a near head-on, "There are no rules here. There are a few suggestions....."
Haha, you should see my father in law drive in Uganda. He uses whatever part of the rode he needs to. Purely suggestions for sure.

Yeah. 6-wide on a two-lane highway. Two Nissan pickups, a Matatu, and a handful of bodas to fill out the leftover space. :eek2:

Haha yep sounds about right.
Yeah. 6-wide on a two-lane highway. Two Nissan pickups, a Matatu, and a handful of bodas to fill out the leftover space. :eek2:

Back