• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

My Resale Took A Hit Today...

See, that's exactly what I'm trying to figure out. There is a lot of old wives tales about chain maintenance, and your case could have being an interesting data point. Loobman did throw it off for me though. I guess I'll have to keep doing what I do now (no maintenance but teflon spray every 1K or so) and see how long mine would last (18K so far)

My chain really started stretching fast the last 1500 miles. Started seeing rust on the inside of the links. Was using Dupont Teflon till I ran out then Mostly WD40 and a few time a wax chain lube from PJ. Forget the type. I had maybe 3 lines left when I left home with 20,000 on the chain and after a 3500 mile trip, I had it dead on the last mark. This caused me to alter plans for the return trip. I just run it too far. Been on Drive shaft bikes too long. ;-)

Ever wonder about the gas you've burned in 100K?

100,000 miles
40 mpg
2500 gallons
$2.50 per gallon
$6250

How much did you pay for the bike?

Suzuki has always been my favorite of the Japanese brands. Great news and a great bike.

What kind of oil does the Loob man use? I thought I saw gear oil on one add years back. At a drop a minute or something to that effect.
What is yours set to? Inquiring minds and an old mechanic wanna know. ;-)

Never mind, I just looked it up on the Loob-man site and ordered one from England for near 30 bucks. If I can double the life of this high dollar set up I just put on my bike for 30 bucks, I'm just some kinda game to try. ;-)

What kind of oil does the Loob man use? I thought I saw gear oil on one add years back. At a drop a minute or something to that effect.
What is yours set to? Inquiring minds and an old mechanic wanna know. ;-)

Someone (can't remember who:giveup:) said they used chainsaw chain bar oil at $4.00 a gallon.

Keep us updated on your wear results, Sir. :rider:

What kind of oil does the Loob man use?

As you probably know by now you can use pretty much anything you want. Since it's a manual gravity-fed device the type of oil will affect rate and duration of discharge. The Loob-Man is NOT an automatic oiler along the lines of a Scott Oiler or similar... rather it makes lubing the chain on the fly much easier.

I started with 80w-90 gear oil on the first chain... great for long and slow application but you probably don't want to use it on rides shorter than 25 miles or you'll leave a puddle when you park.

Next chain I switched to ATF... excellent cleaning properties and quicker flow rate was an improvement for rides under 25 miles (such as the work commute). I noticed a huge difference when cleaning the chain - much less dirt/grit/sand was in the kerosene bath. Fling is a good thing. :rofl:

The last 25K miles I've been using a concoction of 2-parts ATF to 1-part WD-40 (:eek2:) that provides the flow rate and cleaning/lubing that I'm looking for.

The best part is every one of these were EASY to clean up - a quick swipe with a paper towel and you were on your way. I've tried some "no-fling" commercial lubes and they were messy, hard to clean and made a wonderful abrasive paste that chewed up o-rings like a kid eating ding-dongs.

You'll hate the Loob-Man instructions (unless they've revised them) but be sure to poke the pressure relief hole in the feeder tube as directed or else the summer heat will force lube up and over the high point and you'll siphon out the contents.

Thanks for the tips. Will be sure to pay attention to it when the package arrives. I very seldom do rides of under 100 miles when I fire up the bike. :-).
I used to use ATF as chain lube years ago. Was better than using motor oil when you ran primarily gravel and dirt roads. The little bit of spray can chain lube I used really made a build up of hard grease/dirt around the front sprocket area on Bandit that I cleaned up before putting the new sprocket on. 221 was the cost of sprockets and chain on this go round.

That's quite an accomplishment in 4 years' time. Congrats on the milestone !!

You'll hate the Loob-Man instructions (unless they've revised them) but be sure to poke the pressure relief hole in the feeder tube as directed or else the summer heat will force lube up and over the high point and you'll siphon out the contents.

That was apparent right after I opened the package. Didn't see anything about a pressure relief hole. Kinda weird they way they have the feed off the bottle set up. But, it seems to be working. I mounted my bottle on the right side of the fairing dash. About the only place I could see to keep the bottle straight up and down.

As soon as I get my new camera in , I'll do some pictures and post my installation.

Didn't see anything about a pressure relief hole.

It was in little print... I'll hunt up my instructions and locate it.

Essentially, you poke a hole in the feeder tube at the top but on the inside of the cap.

With cooler temps you might not need it but as the outside temp rises it will force the lube up the tube. If it goes over the top it will start a siphonic action creating a mess on the floor.

Back