• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Steve "Stephen Max" Manifold - Austin, TX

Reaction score
Just got a creampuff '92 ZX-11C after many years of not riding. My last bike was a '49 Panhead. Quite a difference!

Image08b.jpg

Image12b.jpg

There's an understatement! The ZX is a lot of bike to re-learn your skills on. Do you feel comfortable with it yet?

By the way, it compliments the black Maxima very nicely. 8-)

I have put about 200 miles on it since I got it last week, and I am getting very comfortable on it. I'm used to riding in a forward tuck from many years of bicycling, which also kept my traffic awareness skills pretty well honed.

I can't help but feel the Maxima is off sulking in the corner, jealous of the new toy.

Welcome to TWT. Check out the threads on Austin Bike Night. We get together every other Tuesday, usually somewhere up north around 6:30pm.

Still wish you had the panhead? I love Harleys so much, I bought an AMF version and was very happy. That Kawasaki looks like a sweet ride, I like that black bodywork. Bet it feels great to be back in the saddle. I was off for a long time too and wondered why it took so long to get back into biking.

Do you still do bicycling? That's my spring excuse for missing bike nights, trying to make up for winter with some of the local shop rides after work.

I don't cycle anymore due to arthritis problems. I really miss it, but getting the big Kawa helps a lot (except in the cardiovascular fitness department). I can't wait to do some of my favorite cycling roads on it.

I really loved the old Panhead, it was tremendous fun. It looked just like the bike Dennis Hopper rode in Easy Rider.

Stephen Max said:
I can't wait to do some of my favorite cycling roads on it.

Sorry to hear about the problem. Arthritis is a cursed condition. I used to work for an orthopedics manufacturer and our products were mostly for arthritic patients. Really sucks.

It was interesting to start motorcycling some of my favorite bicycle rides too (ACA routes) and find out where I was in relation to towns and other routes. Since our maps are always cut to fit the route, I didn't realize how far out of Austin we were getting. Plus those routes tend to have less traffic, which makes for better motorcycling as well.

When I don't have much time to ride (e.g. all day), I'll usually pick one or two of the routes around Bertram, Weir, Taylor and Elgin.

Stephen Max said:
I really loved the old Panhead, it was tremendous fun. It looked just like the bike Dennis Hopper rode in Easy Rider.
If you have any old pics, scan and post. I really dig those bikes. Except when I'm behind one 20mph under the speed limit. :mrgreen:

Stephen Max said:
...I really loved the old Panhead, it was tremendous fun. It looked just like the bike Dennis Hopper rode in Easy Rider.
Ah, the Billy Bike. Did you chop yours too?

scratch said:
Ah, the Billy Bike. Did you chop yours too?

Forks extended six inches and with a 21" front wheel, like Billy's. The frame rake was left alone. Custom tank with flame job. It had a crank from a flathead 80, so it was a stroker. The best performance mod I did to it was to ditch that awful Linkert carb and fit an S.U. carburetor from an MG. That solved all the flooding problems and added very noticeable power to boot. Kicking over a flooded 80 cu. in. engine may be the reason I have a bad right knee now. Well, that and a roller-hockey phase I went through when I was in my 40's. :mrgreen:

By the way, Whoa, how do you like your Thruxton? My first street bike was a '63 Bonneville, which I eventually traded for the Harley. I seriously thought about getting a Thruxton because I have a soft spot for the old cafe racer style, but I couldn't find one in my price range.

Stephen Max said:
By the way, Whoa, how do you like your Thruxton? My first street bike was a '63 Bonneville, which I eventually traded for the Harley. I seriously thought about getting a Thruxton because I have a soft spot for the old cafe racer style, but I couldn't find one in my price range.

We need to talk.

I started my second go round with bikes trying to buy a Harley, but all the owners of the used bikes were insane $$, of course the bikes were selling. So I ended up with a 2001 Triumph Tiger, I love that 955 triple.

But I really wanted old school, missed my twin, so found the new Thruxton as a demo in Waco. I'm having a blast with the bike. No where near as fast as the Tiger, but it chews through corners rather nicely. And is pretty punchy up to about 80mph.

Gonna hold tight for a bit, but soon I'll be looking for a late 60s, mid 70s Bonnie. I really loved those bikes when I was a kid.

That's interesting. I was at the Ducati/Triumph shop in Waco (just south of Baylor on the interstate) a couple of weeks ago and they had a yellow Thruxton demonstrator that I really liked. How long have you had your bike?

Stephen Max said:
That's interesting. I was at the Ducati/Triumph shop in Waco (just south of Baylor on the interstate) a couple of weeks ago and they had a yellow Thruxton demonstrator that I really liked. How long have you had your bike?

Those guys are cool, they have another Thruxton on demo! I purchased mine in February. I must have told Ryan Andrews three different times I didn't need to test ride the Thruxton. Probably as I was telling him I wasn't going to test ride, he was wheeling it out and getting the key.

Back