• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Seale "Project-RD" Adams - Houston, TX

Reaction score
Howdy Y'all ... Just came across the site and am just getting back into this whole 'motorcycle' thang ... ;)

Here's my baby as she currently sits: 1977 RD400 (There's actually 2 bikes there, but the '77 is the 'working' one)

She's going to get a radical makeover/rebuild ... I hope to be up and running sometime this summer ... But we shall see ..........

So you should have it back together and ready to ride by what... Tuesday? Wednesday? :-D

Welcome to the site!

:tab Hmmm... I think Irondawg and his bud, Arthur have an RD between them that runs. They restored it last year I think. Might check with them if you need anything.

:tab Welcome to the site!

Adios,

HiSPL said:
Are you rebuilding it stock or will it be a cafe?

I'm going cafe style. I gave serious consideration to going full on stock resto; but I figured there were enough out there that are good examples. So I'm building the little hot rod I always wanted 8-)

Here's the inspiration for the project:

rd-inspiration.jpg

You'll never get it done!

Just kiddin'
You should also tell paople about the other bike you're looking to get this fall.

Ain't technology grand. I could just walk down to your office, but NO...

Is it painted or powder coated? I think the silver frame will look good once it is all back together.

Some new pics ... Not much progress seen here ... The rubber gaskets around the tach and speedo have been replaced (kinda impossible to tell from the pics) ... I actually got some more work done later on this same day ... will try to post up more pics tonight ...

73-dscn4666.jpg

73-dscn4667.jpg

73-dscn4670.jpg

... mmmmmm, sparkly ...
73-dscn4668.jpg

Last edited:
The bike looks great. I am building an RD myself.

Who did your powder coating?

Been there, done that with an RD350, but my '77 RD400 was raced stock in the production class with only suspension mods. It was a nice bike until after 3 years of racing and crashing. Tank was all bent in on the right side, sad shape, but still ran great! I sold it for three hundred bucks, but I only gave 1200 for it.

I had one RD250 fully race modded with a TZ250F Kanemoto ported cylinder set fed by twin Lectron power jet 38mm carbs and with the most bodacious pipes you ever saw, short and fat. I ran a TZ crank in it, a TZ 6th gear, a TZ water pump which replaced the oil injection pump on the right side clutch cover, a TZ magneto CDI ignition, cantilever shocks, TZ body work, etc, etc, etc. That bike was trick and super fast. I won a lot of races on that thing in 250, 410 and 655cc superbike classes. The thing would top 150 mph at Texas World.

Have fun, and if you put pipes on it, hang on and cover the rear brake with your foot when it hits the pipes.:twisted:

Last edited:
fastmonstr said:
Who did your powder coating?

Allied in Houston: www.alliedpowder.com ...

They were a little on the slow side, but overall I'm pretty happy w/the job they did.

And since I'm here ... Some pics of some stuff I did on Saturday night:

Some shots of the rear brake master cylinder:
73-rear-master-cylinder-1.jpg

73-rear-master-cylinder-2.jpg

73-rear-master-cylinder-3.jpg

The motor mounts:
73-left-right-motor-mounts.jpg

73-right-motor-mount.jpg

73-right-motor-mount-2.jpg

The steering lock; which I had to 'free' from some powdercoat overspray:
73-steering-lock.jpg

The left foot peg bracket:
73-lside-peg-mount.jpg

The right foot peg bracket:
73-rside-peg-mount.jpg

The tank obviously has yet to be painted. But here's some shots with it on for perspective:
73-front-right-corner-angle.jpg

73-front-angle.jpg

73-rear-angle.jpg

73-profile-left.jpg

No new pics yet. But I HAVE ordered up some parts/hardware ... So perhaps next weekend I'll have more of the front end put back together and picture worthy ;-)

**edit** ... Well I got my new handlebar on and am going to press the new bushings into the swingarm today ... And naturally my camera was out of juice last night while we were working on the bike ... So no new pics yet ... Have to wait till next week ... BUT ... The swingarm will be on!:rider: ... Oh, yeah ... I ordered new shocks last night too ... If I'm not careful this thing is actually going to start looking like a motorcycle:eek2:

Back