• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Trials Riding

My son, Daniel, who is about to be 9 wants to ride trials. How do I get him started? I have ZERO trials skills. I can build a course in the big back yard. What bike? Where to find it? How to teach him?
HOw I got my son involved w /trials was to take him to a local trials competition. While we were there, we talked to many riders, saw several used trials bikes in youth, and adult sizes, and got to demo, test ride, and kick the tires on 5-6 bikes for sale before I settled on two trials bikes buy out there to take home. I bought an '01 Sherco 290 and a 2004 Beta Rev 50 (Youth size) that day.

As far as teaching my son went, I just put down several cones in the back yard, and we did alot of snake turns & figure 8s before and after supper or whenever we felt like it. This went on for 3-4 months until I got proficient enough such that I signed up for a competition, riding in the novice section. It was a pretty easy event to do, but in doing so, I got to learn how to score an event, how to setup my controls and setup my lines, and got to know all the trials club members. Then they encouraged me to start going out to Emma Long on Wed evenings and Saturdays riding with the group. The club then put on a couple of trials training classes. I took a two day riding class, and a yr later my son did a one day class. These pics taken in 2007-2008, son 11 yrs old, getting some pointers by Ray Peters, ex pro trials rider (left) on balancing.

attachment.php

And Don, (wearing his helmet in pic above), then our pres of AustinTrials assn hosted these very popular events.

attachment.php

By the end of the class, he even learned to do the bunny hop on a flat ground...pretty advanced move.
attachment.php

attachment.php

I guess if I were to offer any advice, I'd say, find a trials club and sign up for a competition. Practicing for a competition is the fastest path to achieving your riding potential.

My son and I will be at Emma Wed afternoon w/ the new bike. I'm anxious to see if he still knows how to do the bunny hop and zap-zaps :lol2:

Attachments

• IMG_1277.jpg
    IMG_1277.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 601
  • IMG_1275.jpg
    IMG_1275.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 611
  • IMG_1286.jpg
    IMG_1286.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 599
  • IMG_1272.jpg
    IMG_1272.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 599
When I was younger, lighter and more limber, I had one of these.

I remember seeing Sammy Miller in magazines on one so I had to have one... Loved that little bike, couldn't do what Sammy could but has a lot of fun trying. They are nothing compared to today's machines.

When I was younger, lighter and more limber, I had one of these.

557250_464640790214508_724539404_n.jpg

Well, my bike is sold, pending pickup.

I didn't even need the easy button.

......I'd say, find a trials club and sign up for a competition.

FROM THE AUSTIN TRIALS CLUB (CTTA):

1) Central Tx trials (CTTA) club's hosting a Series 1 competition July 18, 2015 at CTOR:
( 15401 Farm to Market Road 2484
Salado, TX 76571)

2) CTTA hosting Series 2 competition event in Aug 15, 2015, place=TBD

3) CTTA hosting Series 3 competition in Llano, TX Sept 19, 2015
3a) S.W. Vintage Trials Assn (SWVTA) has a competition in Deanville, TX Sept 20, 2015

4) CTTA (& SWVTA) hosting Series 4 competition in Luckenbach, TX in conjunction w/ the annual Harvest Classic M/C meet, Oct 24, 2015

5) CTTA's series 5 will be at COW CREEK Nov. 7, 2015
5a) Central Regional Trials Championship (CRTC) will host a 2 day event, Nov. 14 & 15, 2015 at City Park/Emma Long, Austin TX

6) CTTA will close out the series (6) at City Park/Emma Long, Austin TX on Dec. 12, 2015

...ohhh doggie, ain't that a doozy?

Is this anything like a hare scramble, what I'm asking is class structure not the speed part. lol

I don't know enough to say specifically whether it's like a h/s, but they have local, regional, and national level competitions sanctioned by AMA. The name of the game w/ trials competition is to get "ZERO" points, or lowest points wins. Here's a few (of many) links outlining rules of observed trials:

http://www.spiffie.com/trials/rules.html

http://www.trialsinc.org/?trigger=rule

Of course, bragging rights goes w/ the territory...

Understand scoring. Just wondering if classes for novice, ect.

Understand scoring. Just wondering if classes for novice, ect.

Oh, OK...this maybe?
COMPETITION CLASSES FOR T.I.

YOUTH B
This is a class for the very new youth rider. It is usually used for the first time riders, riders being introduced to formal competition. It should be viewed as a class to encourage new youth riders.

YOUTH A
This is a class for the experienced youth rider. These riders understand the Sport and are developing the basic trials skills.

NOVICE
This is a class for the very new rider. It is usually used for the first time riders, riders being introduced to formal competition. It should be viewed as a class to encourage new riders.

SENIOR
This is a class based on the rider’s age, 40 and over, who has attained Intermediate skill level, but would rather compete against riders their own age.

INTERMEDIATE
This classification is for riders who have a good start on their skill development. They are more proficient than Novices but they are not ready to tackle the some tighter turns and obstacles

SENIOR A
This is a class based on the rider’s age, 40 and over, who has attained Sportsman skill level, but would rather compete against riders their own age.

SPORTSMAN
This classification is for riders who have developed past the Intermediate level and want even more challenging terrain and obstacles.

ADVANCED
This classification is for the rider who has developed his skill to the level of the more advanced riding techniques. Advanced riders should be able to handle sections and competition of a level of difficulty typically seen in the Sportsman Classes at NATC National Championships.

EXPERT
Expert riders should be able to handle sections and competition of a level of difficulty approaching that typically seen in Expert and Sportsman Classes at NATC National Championships.

CHAMP
These are the very best; the cream of the crop. Champ riders should be able to handle sections and competition of a level of difficulty approaching that typically seen in the Expert Class at NATC National Championships.

EXHIBITION

This class is designed for past NATC Pro National Champions that still maintain skills at a very high level level. This class follows the Champ line unless otherwise designated.

"O” CLASS
This is a class used for the rider who, for one reason or another, chooses not to participate in one of the competitive classes and wants to ride for the fun of it. The “O” class rider may choose any line at any section he feels comfortable riding.

VINTAGE A
Twin Shock design, Air-Cooled engine, No Hydraulics, Must have Drum brakes. They will ride the INTERMEDIATE line.

VINTAGE
Twin Shock design, Air-Cooled engine, No Hydraulics, Must have Drum brakes. They will ride the NOVICE line.

SET-UP COMPETITION CLASSES
There shall be a competitive class for each rider classification. Engine size will not be used in any class. One entry is sufficient to form a competitive class. Machines, which do not meet requirements or specifications for a regular class, may form a prototype class at the discretion of the Meet Referee.

MEET REFEREE
The Meet Referee will have full authority over all activities involved in the running of the trial. The person selected to serve as a Meet Referee must be familiar with the rules and procedures and may not be a competitor in the trial nor shall he change any of the rules and procedures. Competitors must abide by the judgment of the Meet Referee on the interpretation and implementation of the rules. Appeal of the actions of the Meet Referee must be submitted in writing within ten (10) days to the Competition Secretary for consideration by the Trials Inc. Officer and area representative committee at its next regular meeting. Protests must be submitted to the Meet Referee in writing within one-half hour after the end of the event. The Meet Referee must also be able to travel the loop of the event to be able to handle problems that arise during the event.

FROM THE AUSTIN TRIALS CLUB (CTTA):

1) Central Tx trials (CTTA) club's hosting a Series 1 competition July 18, 2015 at CTOR:
( 15401 Farm to Market Road 2484
Salado, TX 76571)

...ohhh doggie, ain't that a doozy?

:ponder: I DO :thumb: like riding at CTOR.

Sam

Well that did not last long in your stable

I planned on riding it quite a while, learning a lot.

My two year plan of selling the house and moving turned into a two month plan.

Life happened, and you have to lean into the turns.

Ride the heck out of that ST, please!

I planned on riding it quite a while, learning a lot.

My two year plan of selling the house and moving turned into a two month plan.

Life happened, and you have to lean into the turns.

Ride the heck out of that ST, please!

Good Luck Joel, try to check in on us every now and then. :thumb:

May the road rise up to meet you.
May the wind always be at your back.
May the sun shine warm upon your face,
and rains fall soft upon your fields.
And until we meet again,
May God hold you in the palm of His hand.

Sam

Thanks, guys. I'll be around, you can bet on that.
The house was just listed today and I've had two showings!

My Gas Gas is back together and ready for sale...

I will be at the CTOR event Saturday, red dodge ram with a montesa race replica. My first trials comp. I have no idea how it works but sounds like fun.

I will be at the CTOR event Saturday, red dodge ram with a montesa race replica. My first trials comp. I have no idea how it works but sounds like fun.

Is this one of those new 4 stroke Honda powered?

I would like to make the CTOR ride but chances are fading. :argh: I still have not made a Emma Long ride yet. :-| It's a conspiracy!

Sam

Back