• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Paul "Scratch" Massie, Houston, Tx

scratch

Inactive Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Massie
My pictures SUCK!!!

- but my new bike rocks! :-D

Skiphunt’s National Geographic–quality shots make me feel hopelessly inadequate as a photographer, but I think in this case, the subject helps to make up for a lack of skills.

Here’s my baby –

(You can click on any of these thumbnails to see a bigger image)

It’s an ’04 Speed Triple Special Edition, which means that the frame is black whereas it would normally be silver. There may be a few other details specific to this model, but I’ve got to confess that I'm really not up on that sort of thing. The list of mods includes:

- Triumph carbon-fibre high level slip-on
- Triumph performance tune for the ECU
- Triumph carbon-fibre tank protector
- Napoleon bar end mirrors
- Laminar Lip fly screen
- Beaded seat cover - YES, THAT'S A BEADED SEAT COVER!

I get a lot of ribbing about the beaded seat cover, but it does a terrific job of improving the comfort on this bike. Those Pakistani taxi drivers are on to a good thing there. ;-) Everything except that and the fly screen were installed by the bike’s previous owner, Rob Spruell. I think the rear wheel axle nut cover with the Triumph logo is also an accessory item, but Rob would know more about that. About the only other thing I want to get for it is a Motech center stand.

Ergonomically, the Speed Triple compares very favorably to my dear departed Sprint RS. The seat-to-footpeg distance actually seems a bit roomier on the new bike, and the handlebars are (obviously) higher and closer, making the Triple a more comfortable daily rider at speeds up to 70 – 75 mph. At higher velocities, the bigger fairing and windscreen on the RS provides much better wind protection, but I never go that fast anyway.

Hey! What’s so funny? :brainsnap Did I say something? :scratch:

Anyway, from a comfort standpoint the Speed Triple works very well for the type of riding I do, which consists mostly of short day trips and it works well enough for the longer trips too, as I found out when I went to Big Bend recently.

Compared to the RS, the suspension on the Triple is a bit stiffer, but is also more supple and controlled. I still need to set the sag and play around with the settings to find the best compromise. With the higher, wider handlebar, the bike feels lighter and easier to control and also allows the rider to sit up and move around a bit more. I like to take off down gravel roads occasionally and this bike feels much more stable and controllable on loose surfaces than the does the RS, and that’s mostly a result of the upright ergos. This is no DS bike by any stretch of the imagination, but it is a little more versatile than the typical sport-bike in that regard. I won’t wax poetic about the delicious motor since I’ve done that elsewhere already.

From a maintenance standpoint, the Speed Triple has a lot going for it – no fairings to remove, and the single-sided swing arm makes rear tire changes and chain adjustments a breeze. The black wheels are also easy to clean.

In short, this is a terrific all-around bike and one that I hope to keep for many years to come.

Last edited:
Re: My pictures SUCK!!!

Paul,

1. Congratulations on the new bike.
2. I like the way you captured it in photograph in it's natural environment, the mini-storage parking lot.
3. Insert smart comment about beeded seat cover here.
4. I cannot BELIEVE you did not ride it to Goode Co. BBQ on Saturday to show it off. Shame on you. If I was that bike, I would piddle some motor oil on your foot.

Steve

Sweet bike. I would love to have a speed triple in my garage and I am looking forward to riding it at the demo day this weekend.

Congrats...

That's a sweet bike...for some reason the new ones are taller than bung's 2002 model, so I'm too vertically challenged for it now...I wasn't able to demo it at the Triumph demo day.

Congrats! :-D

Kim

mjacks said:
I am looking forward to riding it at the demo day this weekend.

WOW, Paul is having a demo day? KEWL...... :rofl:

Paul,

Since our last trip out there, I've added a superbike bar kit to my superhawk. We should have switched on the long straights to compare the riding positions. I don't know why I didn't think to ask, I kind of "zone out" while riding out there if you know what I mean.

Yes, the pics don't do the bike justice as that is one serious COOL looking bike.

The thumbnails look nice enough.

I will not look at the full size photos, because then I'd have to track you down and take your bike, and that would be Bad, I think... ;-)

Thanks everyone!

Desmo said:
Paul,

1. Congratulations on the new bike.
:tab See above

2. I like the way you captured it in photograph in it's natural environment, the mini-storage parking lot.
:tab Ouch!

3. Insert smart comment about beeded seat cover here.
:tab :-P

4. I cannot BELIEVE you did not ride it to Goode Co. BBQ on Saturday to show it off. Shame on you. If I was that bike, I would piddle some motor oil on your foot.
:tab Steve, it's a measure of how much I truly hate riding in the city. That and the thought that I might get rain and road grime on my just-washed baby was...too horrible to contemplate. ;-)

Doug, I thought about switching out with you too - right after we got back to your dad's house. :suicide: Next time, dude!

Oh, what have I done :tears:

Rob_S said:

Oh thanks Paul..you had to go ahead and post pics of the bike. We just had Rob cured of the shakes and now we have to start all over again with his rehab.

Congrats on the bike.

Pete

scratch said:
... and the thought that I might get rain and road grime on my just-washed baby was...too horrible to contemplate. ;-)

Darn! All this time and I never knew Harley Davidson made the Speed Triple!!

-

Rob_S said:

Well, look on the bright side - you know Paul will love the bike just as much (if not more) than you, and you will be able to see it on occasion.

My bike was sold and hasn't been seen since. :-(

Tumper said:
Paul, are you just a little bit proud of the new bike?:nana: :-D
Proud, enthusiastic, temporarily obsessed/infatuated; whatever. :-D

Rob - Ride down here and we can swap out for a while, but ONLY if I'm on YOUR bike; otherwise I'm not sure there would be enough incentive for you to bring it back... ;-)

Oh, and Bill - they're all kind of like Harleys when you first get them, aren't they? ;-)

Back