• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Hydration Pack - what do you use?

It has a two quart bladder, which is about one qt. more than my bladder so I can go a long way before I stop.
When it's 100F+ I don't have to worry about my bladder, the water doesn't ever usually make it there. :sun:

Usually it's soaked up into my helmet.:puke:

When it's 100F+ I don't have to worry about my bladder, the water doesn't ever usually make it there. :sun:

Usually it's soaked up into my helmet.:puke:

:lol2: after a dirt ride a few weeks ago, i stuck my helmet into the helmet bag and then into my gear bag. Forgot about it until the next day (sat in the garage unti the next evening) and when I opened the helmet bag up, the smell punched me in the nose :puke: It was FUNKY :rofl:

Thank you for all of your replies. I decided to go for a 2L camel back bladder in my tank bag.

This weekend I tested it out on a trip to Leakey and the sisters. Worked just fine, the only thing I have to work out is what to do with the hose when I'm not using it. tried stuffing it in my jacket pocket, but it came out.

Thank you for all of your replies. I decided to go for a 2L camel back bladder in my tank bag.

This weekend I tested it out on a weekend trip to Leakey and the sisters. Worked just fine, the only thing I have to work out is what to do with the hose when I'm not using it. tried stuffing it in my jacket pocket, but it came out.

Might consider the Cambelbak Tube Director. It has a wire in it so it will mostly stay where you bend it. Plus it helps insulate the tube and keeps that first drink from being so hot.

439196.jpg

Worked pretty well for me.
Arkansas003.jpg

After attending a PGR mission yesterday and several people falling out due to hte heat broke mine out.I have had it for years never been used but will begin using it just for safety sake and good ida to fill it with ice cubes then top off with water.Mine is the Camelback with extra storage for sunscreen and snaks or whatever else you might need.I have a CHL so might be good spot to carry on long solo trips lol.

Actually the only time I carried while riding was on our trip to the west coast last year figured going through all that desert country might come in handy.I wasn't legal at the time and we were pulled over for speeding 30 miles outside Ozona.We forgot when the sun sets it drops to 65 mph and we were doing 85 and we got nailed for $180.00 ticket.

As for what to do with the bite valve when the bladder is in the tank bag, I just get a small adhesive strip of Velcro, wrap it near the bite valve on the tune somewhere, then I pout the other side on the bars, tankbag, my jacket, or my helmet.

I'm using my new camelback on my Colorado trip. When I was filling it with ice in Logan, NM some guy asked me how do I keep it from geting mildew. He said his aways mildew? Anybody have any advice?

Dry it completely after each trip OR leave the water in it with a few drops of bleach in the water. Be sure the bleach water makes it through the tube also.

I have a first gen MULE that I love. It functions as my man-bag while I'm at the lake and as a rather nice hydration pack for mtb and motorcycle rides.

I need to invest in an insulation sleeve for the tube, but otherwise I love it.

I went on a trip last weekend to new orleans and bought the coleman MAX i think it ran me no more than 30.00 . It holds 2liters, it was a quick fill up at the gas stations.. the mouth piece worked well, no dripping just make sure that you blow the water back into the bag.. Not sure what i would have done without the pack.. i filled up 10 times gettting to New Orleans and coming back to dallas 14 times :chug:

Stay HYDRATED :rider:

I've been an avid mountain biker since '88, so I've used countless hydration pack of various brands, and to be honest, none have really stood out as being the best; the cheap ones lasted just along as the expensive ones, sometimes longer (Camelbak brand is over-rated if you ask me). Just get one with an adequate volume, and you're good.

One product I recently discovered though continues to impress me, and while it's not a hydration bladder, it would make a great suppliment, in fact I'm carrying it instead of a camelbak on my bicycles now... A water bottle called Polar Bottle; Looks like a typical 24 oz cycle bottle (a little longer) and is insulated... I've tried "insulated" bottles before, but they only buy you about an extra 1/2 hr (from frozen) before the water is the same as the air temp (disgusting when it's 100+ out). This thing blows away any hydration pack I've tried as far as insulation goes... My last couple of MTB rides were in 105 deg heat, and from a near frozen state (about 2 hrs in the freezer), there was still ice in the bottle after 2.5+ hrs of riding :shock: I'll probably get another one and carry them on the MC for trips etc; pack them in a bag and I'll bet they'll still be cold after a full day.

Last edited:
I tend to do a combination. Preload before activity with 7-8fl oz of water, then continue hydrating with sips during activity. If you feel thirsty then you're already behind the ball.

If I know I'm going to be doing a lot of sweating (MS150 or something) I'll make sure I'm getting extra water the day before.
At the minimum I'm making sure I'm getting plenty before, and during.
And yeah, if you start to feel really thirsty you're already behind the ball.

my free Buell hydration pack has sprung a leak. Where the tube connects to the bag is leaking.
Went tooling around on the dirt bike and my lower back and butt were soaked, even before the mud bath I got stuck in.

I guess its time to pick up the CamelBak Mule I've been eyeballing.

I use my mule for just about everything. Been a great purchase. Did have to purchase a new bladder for mine a couple months ago as the liner in the tube separated and of course you can't buy just the tube. :doh:

Back