• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Helmet Disposal?

5. Shaving sink when camping
6. Halloween candy holder(unless it stinks)
7. Door stop (if it does stink)
8. Donate it to morons who wear "NOVELTY HELMETS"
9. Gift for mother-in-law (super glue face-shield closed especially if it stinks[I have stinky stuff if you need it])

As a former Firefighter/EMT I do like the helmet donation idea

Good ideas, all.

Eventually, I shipped my helmet back to Shoei in California. Shipping cost was only $12. The helmet came back yesterday, recertified for riding. Now if the ice would only melt....

Varies, this was the most recent...

Attachments

• IMG_0345.jpg
    IMG_0345.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 164
Recon how they "recertify" a helmet. I don't see how it can be done without taking out the stuffins (EPS). If they do take them out, how without damage? Do they put in new stuffins? Things that make you go Hmmmmmm.
I think Shoei and Areai (sp) are way too proud of the product they put out. It is good, but is it 3-4 times as good as the price would indicate? That is up to the individual, so no real worries about it. It is nice that they provide such a service, and free of charge.
Sorry for being late and an afterthough, but are you willing to bet your life that the helmet has no damage? If the first three questions are answered to my liking, then I would but did you ask.
Just some random thoughts from a sick mind. Glad you survived your get off.

I've had some scrapes that got into the shell a bit, but I kept using the helmet. If the outer shell split, I'd see how much it could take from a hammer and sledge and get a shiny new one.

After my last off, I declined my insurance companies offer to replace my gloves, jacket and helmet. But I thought was mighty decent of them to offer.

Being able to pick out replacement items after an off is a good crash. Let's hope if we have to again, it's another good one.

Recon how they "recertify" a helmet. I don't see how it can be done without taking out the stuffins (EPS). If they do take them out, how without damage? Do they put in new stuffins? Things that make you go Hmmmmmm.
I think Shoei and Areai (sp) are way too proud of the product they put out. It is good, but is it 3-4 times as good as the price would indicate? That is up to the individual, so no real worries about it. It is nice that they provide such a service, and free of charge.
Sorry for being late and an afterthough, but are you willing to bet your life that the helmet has no damage? If the first three questions are answered to my liking, then I would but did you ask.
Just some random thoughts from a sick mind. Glad you survived your get off.

I work on flight helmets and they use a layer of EPS also. it's a lot thinner than the one on my bike helmet and the shells are carbon fiber but the idea is the same. We can remove the EPS liner also and do ona regular basis for general maintenance and NVG power cable replacement. The NVG cable runs between the shell and the EPS liner.

Send it to Shoei for inspection. Worst case they tell you it is trash, but they might send it back saying that the eps is just fine. Then you have a spare for a rainy day.

I tried that with Scorpion, they weren't willing to inspect it. They said if it had been in any type of accident, it needed to be considered trash as no type of inspection could ensure that the helmet would still provide adequate protection. So, that helmet is still on a shelf in my closet. EXO-700, one small spot of rash less than an inch in total area, from my wife's get off.

Last edited:
Given the difference in price between Scorpion and brands like Shoei and Arai, I can understand why Scorpion doesn't offer the service. I remember seeing a write-up a while back, and it involves x-raying the helmet from multiple angles, and then having a trained observer evaluate the x-ray. Not cheap to do.

I wrote HJC and Shoei both of which wrote back "I recommend cutting the straps out and throwing them away. You can check with your local waste disposal company about any recycling guidelines they have."
Thought I would see if webBikeWorld had any info and Mike wrote "Thanks for visiting webBikeWorld and for your support. Really good question, but there is no good way I know of to dispose of a helmet. A local fire department may want it to practice cutting it off in an emergency, but like a surfboard, there is just no good way that I have ever heard of to dispose of one. I have cut them in half and put it in the trash when the time comes.

I wonder what they do in Europe, because there are some regulations about end-of-lifecycle recycling. Next time I talk to anyone there in the know, I'll ask."

All the clever repartee aside thought I would check with someone who might know what to do with old helmets. NOT

I use mine as a planter. Have an airplane plant in it hanging from my carport.

I let the kids play with them. Eventually, they end up in the trash.

The most surprising thing about this thread is that you still have the helmet after the insurance company paid for it. None of my crashed helmets could be kept if I wanted reimbursment for it. I even offered to buy it back as a motorcycle safety training aid (MSF RC) and cut it in half for the classroom.

Not a chance. I was told that they would not have any sort of guarantee that I wouldn't just go out and wear it again. Money for lid, period.

The most surprising thing about this thread is that you still have the helmet after the insurance company paid for it. None of my crashed helmets could be kept if I wanted reimbursment for it. I even offered to buy it back as a motorcycle safety training aid (MSF RC) and cut it in half for the classroom.

Not a chance. I was told that they would not have any sort of guarantee that I wouldn't just go out and wear it again. Money for lid, period.

State Farm (they had reasonable rates on motorcycles in MO) wanted the helmet before paying anything. Foremost reviewed my list of ruined gear and gave me a tiny fraction of the total value. They didn't say anything about the helmet.

I wrote HJC and Shoei both of which wrote back "I recommend cutting the straps out and throwing them away. You can check with your local waste disposal company about any recycling guidelines they have."

Strange, Shoei lists it on their website as a service they offer, and Tim even took them up on it and it came back re-certified...

Have a look for yourself.
http://www.shoei-helmets.com/FAQ.aspx

Strange, Shoei lists it on their website as a service they offer, and Tim even took them up on it and it came back re-certified...

Have a look for yourself.
http://www.shoei-helmets.com/FAQ.aspx

Does Shoei offer any type of impact inspection service?

Yes, Shoei offers a free impact inspection service for any Shoei helmet.* To have your helmet inspected, please send it to;

Shoei Helmets
3002 Dow Ave
Suite 128
Tustin, CA 92780
Attn: Inspections

Be sure to include a letter with a brief description of the issue with the helmet, as well as a daytime phone number and return address. Once we receive the helmet it will take 1-3 business days to complete the inspection. Upon completion the helmet is returned to you with a letter stating the findings of our inspection. Your helmet is returned to you if it passes the inspection or not. There is no charge for the inspection, and the UPS Ground return shipping is free. To see a video on how to pack your helmet for shipping, click here.

Why would you want the helmet shipped back if it failed?

My question to the helmet people was not about repair/rennovation but rather do they assist with disposal of a helmet that is no longer servicable. Could be the difference. Just trying to get info from the sources rather than just pitch the things. May be what we all end up doing.

My question to the helmet people was not about repair/rennovation but rather do they assist with disposal of a helmet that is no longer servicable. Could be the difference. Just trying to get info from the sources rather than just pitch the things. May be what we all end up doing.

It's not toxic waste. Throw it away. If you think there is a chance that someone will find it and sell it, I'd take a hammer to it. I've heard that cut chin straps are cheap to replace.

It's not toxic waste. Throw it away. If you think there is a chance that someone will find it and sell it, I'd take a hammer to it. I've heard that cut chin straps are cheap to replace.

I agree, but I wouldn't waste my time taking a hammer to it. If someone wants to go garbage jumping to get the helmet, and then sell it to a fool who would buy it, then so be it. I don't even bother to cut the straps.

Back