• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

WR250R Thread

Maybe you can find someone in DFW that will let you ride theirs so you can compare. It's a thumper like you say, but mine is not THAT vibey. It doesn't seem to bother me on long days or put my hands to sleep.

Make sure your drive chain isn't too tight or loose. The chain tightness spec in the owner's manual is incorrect. There is a bulletin for the new procedure. Take the bike out of gear and stand it up straight. Push up firmly on the bottom of the chain toward the swingarm, at the tire pressure sticker. There should be about a 10 mm gap between the top of the chain the bottom of the swingarm. Next, check the black chain guard at the front of the swingarm. Make sure the chain has not worn through the plastic and is grinding on the aluminum.

GL.

yeah, doing a back to back would be useful.

Okay, I tightened as per the manual. Silly me. :eek2: I just took the front wheel off to have it balanced tomorrow. After I get it back on, I'll re-adjust the drive chain tension. I have checked the plastic chain guard and it's okay.

Does anyone use the Happy Trail SU rack system (expedition style)?

How does it fit? Do the bolt holes match?

Because I had bad experience with HT on my Suzuki (holes off by 1":eek2:).
But looks like HT is the only game in town.

Last edited:
.....just got a notice from mothership Yamaha. They are recalling all WR250R and X motard versions for a faulty stator coil. It is Campaign Code: 990098.

Has anyone ever had an issue with this? The only mechanical flaw that plagued 2008 WR's and portion of the 2009 models was a faulty fuel pump.

RB

Hi,
Anyone know good deal for brand new WR in houston area?

I'm seeing dealer advertise $400 off MSRP. What kind of fees are they going to slap on?

Had the stator recall fix done in mid-September and all is good.
I swear it starts easier and has more "snap" to the throttle response now.

I noticed that as well. I was surprised to learn that the stator removed on my bike was partially darkened. The stator was probably not going to last much longer. The technician performing the warranty work claims he has replaced several stators on WR's that were almost non-functional.

icon_redface.gif

RB

Congrats on the WR F-ride. Where do you ride? I just got back from Big Bend Friday...what an awesome place for dual sports.

I'm just starting & new to SA. Hope to find some dirt to explore around the Medina Lake area as that is close. Big bend sounds great & it's on the list. Did you ride or haul bike out there? I'm thinking on those farther trips I will haul it out.

We hauled them out. There are some gravel roads west of Medina lake I hit a while back. Can't remember the county road numbers, but watch for cattle on them. It's open graze. Dirt is hard to find around San Antonio. Check out Hidden Falls Adventure Park. It's OK. Lots of rock...

Hello. I'm looking to buy a wr250r for $3800 or less. I've been slow at responding to listings and missed out on 2 already :doh: If anyone sees one for sale I'd appreciate a heads up. Thank you.

Informative thread about a guy riding his WR250R from North Carolina to Alaska and back.

Taken from the ADV thread, here is his packing list!

RB

---

List of add ons or mods to the thing for the trip:

Avon Trail Rider tires
Cogent Dynamics 10.5 kg rear shock spring
Madstad 20 inch “adventure” model windshield.........NO wind buffeting
IMS 3.1 gallon gas tank…………………………….….........gives me about a 200 mile range
Trail Tech tach/hour meter......simple and works perfect
Rotopax 1.75 gallon fuel container with conventional spout (no EPA mandated crap spout)
Russell Day Long “sport” seat……………………….........like sitting on a pair of angel's hands
Fastway foot pegs……………………………………..............great quality, large footing area and about 3/4 inch lower
Renthal/JT sprockets……….…………........…13/47 is 7k rpm @ 60 mph GPS verified, motor is glass smooth there
DID Gold X-RIng 110 link chain………………..…….......strong and should last well
Moto-Racks with Rotopax mount……………….……......beautifully made and functional
Jared Skaggs billet rear top rack……………….……......super nice looking and strong
Warp9 320 mm large front brake rotor and caliper relocation bracket....great stopping power and easy to modulate on gravel
Yamalink rear lowering thing
Wolfman Enduro tank bag……………………….........……Wolfman quality what can I say
Wolfman Rocky Mountain saddle bags……………… (2016 model)
Wolfman tool roll………………………………
Wolfman fender bag for spare tube
Wolfman bottle holders.......one for drink bottle, one for spare tube, and one for a can of chain lube
iM2300 Pelican top case…………………….……........…..good solution for security and water proofing
24 liter Ortieb dry bag (tent)…………………….....….….best there is IMHO
Cycra hand guards…………………………….…...........…..pain in the *** to get fitted properly
Waterproof dual USB outlet…………………….….......…good solution to a simple problem
Eastern Beaver 3 circuit relayed power harness....powers the GPS, heated grips, USB outlet
Power lead for Gerbing heated stuff………………… direct wired to the battery....I do unplug it when I stop Garmin Montana 600 GPS.....no problems after 70 thousand miles on my GS and WR RAM AMPS mount for Montana 600 GPS…………....…holds the GPS well and somewhat secure from theft Oxford Heated Grips with Intelligent Controller…......great fit and finish, work well PVC 4 inch tool tube mounted on front frame…………………………………….....carries all my tools, tire levers and bead breaker SPOT Gen3...........good little "“I’ve fallen and can’t get up thingy"
Aerostich mini compressor……………………………......blows air out one end just like me

Camping stuff:

Nemo Sonic 15 degree 850 loft down sleeping bag
Sea to Summit Reactor Plus bag liner.....adds a bunch of warmth to my bag
Nemo blow up pillow
Big Agnes Q Core SL 25 inch wide insulated sleeping pad
Eureka Mountain Pass 2 XTE tent....has big vestibules for my stuff
Cheap tarp ground cloth from Walmart
9 hour candle and holder......keeps tent warm and condensation free (mostly)
small Coleman LED lantern
Nalgene pee bottle
Jet Boil Zip for coffee
small hatchet
First aid kit
EZ Touring Wanderer bike cover
very small Touratech camp stool
paracord for clothes line

Spares for the trip:

2 oil filters
Brake, clutch, shift levers
tire tubes ft/rear
brake pads ft/rear
Front/rear wheel bearings
fuses
cable for heated gear......must have, can't live without my heated stuff
Wrist rest......I can't ride LD without one

Riding Gear:

Aria XD-4 helmet...fits my alien shaped head well
Klim Badlands Pro jacket and pants.....awesome
Sidi Adventure Gortex boots....four years so far and all is well
Klim summer gloves
Gerbing heated gloves
Aerostich waterproof glove covers
Gerbing heated jacket liner with controller
smart wool socks....2 pair
ankle socks for walking around in tennis shoes 1 pair
LD Comfort riding shorts....2 pair
Smart Wool Merino wool 250 weight top and bottom base layer
Smart Wool Merino wool 195 weight long sleeve crew neck shirts....2
Smart Wool Merino wool 195 weight short sleeve shirt....1
silk balaclava
neckbuff
silk head liner
ear plugs

Clothes:

Jeans (1)
Toiletry kit (tooth brush/paste, razor/cream, soap/soap dish)
Micro fiber Towel
Walking shoes
Flip Flops for shower
Swimsuit/sleeping shorts (1)
Sleeping beenie
Stuff bag for dirty clothes
Collapsable hat
sleeping mask

Cooking Stuff:

Jet Boil Zip
Matches
Cigarette lighter
instant coffee
Mini creamers
Spoon
Military can opener
Food bag, paracord, and carabiner (hang in tree for bears)

Cameras and other stuff:

Nikon AW130 waterproof point and shoot (hangs around my neck)
Go Pro Hero 3
iPhone 6s Plus
Blueteeth remote for iPhone for selfies
Apple 13" Macbook Air laptop
Assorted cables
Passport
National Parks Golden Age Pass
Health insurance card
Bike registration
Canadian insurance card
Copies of all documents
Small cable and lock
Locks for Pelican case
Bug spray
Sun block
Clip on thermometer
Pen and notebook
Fake wallet
Small extension cord
Maps/highlighter pen
First aid kit
Lense cleaning pads
Vitamins
Spare key
Wet wipes
Mozzie net (2)
Leatherman tool
MSR Dromedory 6 liter water bag

:giveup:

Attachments

• IMG_0710.jpg
    IMG_0710.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 317
I just joined the WR250R riders by purchasing a new to me 2013 unit. Pretty happy with it so far - it's pretty much stock except for the FMF PC, an engine guard, a better chain and TKC80 tires. My plan for the bike is to use it for my short commute and for a couple of adventures a year. Already have a bigger street bike for paved travel and this one will be mostly for unpaved outings. Arkansas is on my short list this year.

My first priority is to do some basic maintenance on it, like bleeding brakes and coolant, replace spark plug and check/lube as appropriate. The bike only has 3,300 miles and has had oil changes and such, but I feel it's overdue for a more thorough check.

And as far as mods, don't want to be changing things right away, but I will be adding a pigtail to keep the bike on a battery charger and support charging devices, a RAM mount for phone/gps and replacing the handlebar with a fat bar & adapter for a more comfortable position. Later I may see about adding a larger tank, Seat Concepts seat and luggage - certainly before any major trip.

Pretty excited about this little bike!

picture.php

Last edited:
Welcome! its a great bike! One thing I would add to your list to do soon is a set of hand guards. Zeta brand is popular with the WR crowd or the cycra probends. I just moved to Arkansas and the WR loves it here.

I just joined the WR250R riders by purchasing a new to me 2013 unit. Pretty happy with it so far - it's pretty much stock except for the FMF PC, an engine guard, a better chain and TKC80 tires. My plan for the bike is to use it for my short commute and for a couple of adventures a year. Already have a bigger street bike for paved travel and this one will be mostly for unpaved outings. Arkansas is on my short list this year.

My first priority is to do some basic maintenance on it, like bleeding brakes and coolant, replace spark plug and check/lube as appropriate. The bike only has 3,300 miles and has had oil changes and such, but I feel it's overdue for a more thorough check.

And as far as mods, don't want to be changing things right away, but I will be adding a pigtail to keep the bike on a battery charger and support charging devices, a RAM mount for phone/gps and replacing the handlebar with a fat bar & adapter for a more comfortable position. Later I may see about adding a larger tank, Seat Concepts seat and luggage - certainly before any major trip.

Pretty excited about this little bike!

picture.php

Welcome back from your very short dual-sport hiatus Paco!

Believe when I say you'll be buying the bigger tank and seat faster than you think. I moved those two items to the top of my list after my first 3-day AR trip on my WR.

Better do it before the Big Bend ride! ;-)

Thank you, Kirby! Yes, good suggestion! The Zeta hand guard with side mount look really sweet - I added them to the "investment" :-) Lucky you being so close to great riding... we in the DFW Metroplex have to ride or trailer for hours to get there. Looking forward to putting miles and some dust on this bike.

Welcome! its a great bike! One thing I would add to your list to do soon is a set of hand guards. Zeta brand is popular with the WR crowd or the cycra probends. I just moved to Arkansas and the WR loves it here.

Hahaha, yes, I rushed to a decision and I am glad I reversed it - just need to make sure I don't get in situations that would endanger my health... my weath is already endangered with the list of mods I am compiling!

Any suggestion as to the 4.7 or 3.1 gallon is preferable? I am leaning towards the IMS 3.1 because it gives me close to 180 miles, which can easily become 200+ with a couple of gas bottles or a rotopak. The 4.7 tank has more complexity, like an auxiliary gas pump and a lot more high weight. I can't imagine riding 300+ miles without the ability to refuel.

I haven't been able to really test the OEM seat yet - and it's probably not even broken in. I really like those Seat Concepts - had one on the DR650 and it was fantastic, so I think I will go for it.

I hear you about the Big Bend ride :-)

Welcome back from your very short dual-sport hiatus Paco!

Believe when I say you'll be buying the bigger tank and seat faster than you think. I moved those two items to the top of my list after my first 3-day AR trip on my WR.

Better do it before the Big Bend ride! ;-)

Any suggestion as to the 4.7 or 3.1 gallon is preferable? I am leaning towards the IMS 3.1 because it gives me close to 180 miles, which can easily become 200+ with a couple of gas bottles or a rotopak. The 4.7 tank has more complexity, like an auxiliary gas pump and a lot more high weight. I can't imagine riding 300+ miles without the ability to refuel.

I will chime in here on the 4.7 tank. I have one on mine. The extra 1.5 gallons is pretty much down low in the wings that have to be pumped out with the extra fuel pump. I like having that weight and especially space being taken there instead on the back end when loaded up for a trip. The WRR is not as roomy as some of the other bikes such as a DR650. So I opted for the added complexity.

The 4.7 tank is a bit wider between your legs. So if trail riding is more important to you than long trips, the smaller tank would likely be a better option.

I am having an issue with the fuel from the extra vacuum pump "feeding" the stock electric pump now. It does not seem to be creating a good "pool" of fuel at the suction to the main fuel pump. When I originally installed it I tested things and they worked fine. But recently I ran low and there were issues and nearly stranded me. I guess that fuel line got moved or something.

I still think the 4.7 is a good option, particularly for long ADV trips when you are loaded up with gear. The little vacuum pumps are supposed to be bullet proof. If you go this way just make sure you have a robust solution for the "fuel feed" to the main fuel pump.

Thanks for your thoughts on the tank. I did consider it realized that the tank didn't need to be full all the time. After some pondering, and given the kind of riding I plan to do, I ordered the 3 gallon IMS for a significant improvement over stock to give me the range I need. For those very rare times when I need more than 150-180 mile range I will strap my one gallon Rotopax as I have done with previous bikes. Given that I am spending money on other improvements, budget for the tank was also a consideration.

I will chime in here on the 4.7 tank. I have one on mine. The extra 1.5 gallons is pretty much down low in the wings that have to be pumped out with the extra fuel pump. I like having that weight and especially space being taken there instead on the back end when loaded up for a trip. The WRR is not as roomy as some of the other bikes such as a DR650. So I opted for the added complexity.

The 4.7 tank is a bit wider between your legs. So if trail riding is more important to you than long trips, the smaller tank would likely be a better option.

I am having an issue with the fuel from the extra vacuum pump "feeding" the stock electric pump now. It does not seem to be creating a good "pool" of fuel at the suction to the main fuel pump. When I originally installed it I tested things and they worked fine. But recently I ran low and there were issues and nearly stranded me. I guess that fuel line got moved or something.

I still think the 4.7 is a good option, particularly for long ADV trips when you are loaded up with gear. The little vacuum pumps are supposed to be bullet proof. If you go this way just make sure you have a robust solution for the "fuel feed" to the main fuel pump.

I've got a 2009 with running issues. I replaced the fuel pump with one from Ebay. Still doesn't run and looking into it further it appears the regulator on the fuel pump has failed and won't let it pressure up properly. Anybody else have this issue?

I've got a 2009 with running issues. I replaced the fuel pump with one from Ebay. Still doesn't run and looking into it further it appears the regulator on the fuel pump has failed and won't let it pressure up properly. Anybody else have this issue?

I have read about one other occurrence of this in the past. I think the person wound up getting a new pump.

Back