• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

TX Law on Streeting a Dirt Bike ?

Depends on what you get. If it has not title then it should have a MSO. Some states don't offer titles on dirt bikes so you only get a bill of sale and a MANUFACTURES STATEMENT OF ORIGIN (called the MSO). Some folks never bother to register bikes in the state if they didn't get them here to avoid paying any taxes on it. If it does not have one a title of MSO then a bonded title will likely be needed.

I likely would not buy a bike from craigslist with no title unless is was really cheap or free.

So ... What do I do if I am buying a DIRT bike and there is no title ? ... Is that where Title Insurance comes into play ? ... Is it a major hassle to purchase a bike without a title ?

I mean ... If I bought a bike, on Craig's, for cash .. No title ... Then what ?

Motorcycles in Texas are required to have a title, either regular title or off-road title. I personally would not buy a bike that doesn't have a title.

You can get the bike transferred to your name and apply for a title if you have an MSO, provided by the manufacturer. If you don't have an MSO either, then you need to apply for a bonded title. A bonded title is a bit complicated and expensive from what I read, so unless the title-less bike is an amazing deal I'd stay away from it.

My DRZ was purchased by mail and delivered to Texas with an MSO. Which over thirteen years of ownership I had lost that piece of paper.

Bonded title was the ticket when I decided to put a plate on it last year.

I've never owned a dirt bike with a title, and I've had several over the years. All in Texas, just not purchased from a dealer.

A couple of decades ago I did a DS conversion and wasn't required to bond it. The county clerk just put the VIN and model on a form and processed it. Title came in the mail. This latest conversion was more complicated than I was expecting, but went smoothly after I read the state's webpage on the process and requirements.

It was simple in Plano. Not sure if doing it in two steps made it easier.... I had heard others talk about a picture, but I didn't have to provide one. What did you pay money for?

I don`t remember how much , it was a while back . Just remember it seemed high.

So ... What do I do if I am buying a DIRT bike and there is no title ? ... Is that where Title Insurance comes into play ? ... Is it a major hassle to purchase a bike without a title ?

Then you pray that it isn't stolen before you head out to get your bond. :lol2:

Just to clear it up, a bonded title is title insurance. For guys that rebuild barn finds bonded titles are a fairly common thing to do. Dirt bikes sold before September 1, 1999 may not have a title. There is a VIN check site that will, for a small fee, tell if the vehicle has any problem records with the VIN. Again, that is another thread on the forum.

Texas Title Manual

Texas Registration Manual

Just to clear it up, a bonded title is title insurance.

My understanding is it is not insurance but a guarantee similar to a bail bond. Bond issuer is guaranteeing the state that they will pay the true owner the amount of bond if they ever come forward. The bond issuer can then come back to you for the full amount they paid as you agreed to indemnify them for loss when you purchased the bond.

Other clarifications from posts above:
  • Hi/low beam indicator is not required.
  • Turn signals are not required and if installed do not need to be functional. It is not an inspection criteria.
  • DOT tires are not required. However they cannot be labeled "off highway use only"

_

You're right and I'm just clearing up nomenclature. The term Title Insurance is properly applied to real property and serves to help settle legal claims against that deed or title. A bonded title for a motor vehicle has a similar purpose, but is structure a little differently.

just went through this a few months ago. in plano & garland, 2 inspectors i tried required both brakes to operate light. i did it the hard way sorta, but maybe should have gone to more inspectors.

just went through this a few months ago. in plano & garland, 2 inspectors i tried required both brakes to operate light. i did it the hard way sorta, but maybe should have gone to more inspectors.

Happened to me once inspecting a vintage Vespa. When he asked for front brake instead of arguing I just repeated his request and while drawing his attention to the front brake lever I stepped on the rear brake pedal at the same time and he didn't know for the better. If he would have caught me then I would have educated him and made him go read his manual again. But the way I did it saved me probably 10 minutes time.

_

No problem. I have the tusk kit as well and the entire bike is in "barely legal" configuration (non-DOT tires, no speedo, no keys, no battery, etc) except that I have TWO mirrors that you can't see with :rofl:

edit:
8c5297f1-f11a-4996-a5a6-46fa29faa311_zps2e7968c3.jpg

Motor Vehicle Title Manual TX DMV July 2014

Modified Off-Highway Motorcycles

14.19 Off-Highway Use Vehicles
Once a motorcycle has been titled as an off highway vehicle without registration, VTR requires an application for corrected title to clear the remark if the vehicle is ever modified in order to register.

If a transfer of ownership is involved and a current license number is shown in the license number space on the application for title, the notation “Off Highway Use Only” deletes automatically from the title record.

Applicants should include verification of a DPS safety inspection and a copy of the current registration receipt with the application for title.

http://www.texasoffroad.net/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/504902/4

Re: Converting offroad to Dual Sport [Re: OldMike] ta2240
Gang Veteran

Loc: Magnolia, Texas
Law Enforcement are not involved in the process at all so the Inspection guy was wrong on that. Also he is the person that fills out the white form/"Green Sheet". After you find an inspection station to give you that sheet after you pass inspection do not go the a County Tax office. Most of them have no idea what to do. I highly recommend going directly to you local State Title office. They have and should know everything. If you have the "Green Sheet" and you current title and inspection then they will give you your plates then.

Re: Converting offroad to Dual Sport [Re: ta2240] Maladjusted
Gang Member

Loc: Longview, TX
Here is my experience... (Gregg County)
Purchased 650R for DS conversion.
- Had bike inspected at local inspection station. Everything good to go. Completed Green Sheet.
- Went to local Tax Office for title change and plates. The young lady behind the counter kindly removed the "off-road use only" notation from the title (at my suggestion) as bike is now suitable for rode use (see inspection sticker...).
- Paid taxes and registration fee(s) and walked out with plates/tags.

Nothing to it.

Re: Converting offroad to Dual Sport [Re: xrcajun] 2fst4u
Gang Member

He's going to get a new title from the state. She removed the notation on the computer.

The "new" title will not say "offroad"

Re: Converting offroad to Dual Sport [Re: OldMike] Noonanator
Gang Member

Mike,
each time, I have just handed the offroad title, insurance card and certificate of inspection to the county liscense clerks. They will have you sign an application for title. The new title ( street legal) will be sent in few weeks. They'll charge you a registration fee and new title fee and give you a liscense plate.
When I was trying to get my DRZ plated, the liscense clerk claimed it wasn't do-able. After conferring with her supervisor, they actually came up with the official tx. titling(sp?) manual. It had a section on making a off-road m/c street legal. The procedures were listed and pretty much as discussed in the forum.
Bobby N

Back