• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Police warnings?

It's really easy when the cops tell you its there! :rofl:

I drove a truck between semesters when I was younger. It was the glory days of CB radio and we were in the middle of nowhere in the middle of the night taking a route around road work in Phoenix. My co-driver put out a call for a "smoky report" (hurts to say "smoky report" now) and someone replied with a location half way along our route back to I10. The cop was there just as expected and when we passed the radio came alive. It was the cop. He had replied to our first call. He said we were the first people to pass in hours. Poor guy was bored to death.

You'd think cops would know better than to be on the phone or texting while driving. :trust:

There were a few "dear chief" letters in the dept. about reading the MDT while driving. Nature of the beast I guess. I have no idea what you mean Ken from your rephrasing of my quote?
Happy Semi-Driving and stay within those DOT regs.

I don't alert anyone. No head patting, no high beam flashing. If you're doing something you shouldn't and get caught that's your fault.

Also it's illegal to have quotas. Besides too many drivers are so distracted most of the time to see cops that are in plain view.

Tapatalk on a Note 2.

I don't alert anyone. No head patting, no high beam flashing. If you're doing something you shouldn't and get caught that's your fault.

Also it's illegal to have quotas. Besides too many drivers are so distracted most of the time to see cops that are in plain view.

Tapatalk on a Note 2.

Yup. Let 'em get caught. Rabbits are good.

Cops don't have quotas, but I've had a couple cops tell me how many tickets they are supposed to write per hour, but that's not quotas. :doh:

No warnings for me either. That's part of the game!

I wonder how many if any of those that have posted that they would not signal to other riders that a LEO was spotted ever exceed the speed limit? And if so would they continue speeding when signaled? Or maybe they are so principled they even refuse to check their speed when signaled?

Last edited:
yes, agreed isn't very difficult to give the next rider the heads up about what's lurking
its also been called paying it forward I guess am old schooled
cheers out :rider::rider:

I don't do it 'cuz...as a law abidding citizen I don't want to "obstruct police investigation."

Wikipepida: Using signals to warn other driver of a speed trap ahead, law enforcement officers may give citations under laws prohibiting a person from obstructing a police investigation.

One cannot begin an investigation into a crime that hasn't happened yet.

Anyone who cites that is steamy fece :lol2: No different than saying "Hey, obey the law, it's smart and responsible" or "Hey man, buckle up" or "Dude, you've been drinking, stay here for the night"

...and it has the same effect as traffic enforcement's goal: lower accidents and increase safety. I can see some small towns taking advantage for revenue and such, but as a whole, the rules are for safety. I've been let off too many times on huge revenue tickets, where I was caught dead-to-rights, to believe that it is just for money makin' :rider:

I pat when there is a danger or obvious traffic enforcement unit ahead. I don't pat just because there are cops around; I would never be able to use the clutch around here. About half of the riders look at me funny, and the other half do full fork compression and a big "thank you" wave :D

I wonder how many if any of those that have posted that they would not signal to other riders that a LEO was spotted ever exceed the speed limit? And if so would they continue speeding when signaled? Or maybe they are so principled they even refuse to check their speed when signaled?

My bike isn't fast enough to get a ticket. :rider:

My bike isn't fast enough to get a ticket. :rider:

I think my TW is slower than your TW.

And I've never heard of the pat on the head for this either in 45+ years of riding. Something new every day it seems.

I think my TW is slower than your TW.

And I've never heard of the pat on the head for this either in 45+ years of riding. Something new every day it seems.

Haahaahaahaa! Depends on which TW I'm on.

I actually do the Smoky Report thing, pat the helmet, flash the lights, palm down low, CB radio, etc. What goes around, comes around. It's not like it's going to hurt the cops now that they have automatic weapons and armored vehicles. Gives the officers time to get their paperwork done so they can get home to their families at a reasonable hour.

Here's another for you: Hold the left hand up arm straight overhead, palm facing another rider, and repeatedly pretend you are squeezing a sponge. That means his blinker fluid is leaking.

Whenever I pat my helmet, my other hand instinctively starts rubbing my belly, so I use the rotating finger signal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Because all laws are good laws and there's no such thing as a speed trap. Obey!

Also it's illegal to have quotas.

Ask any honest traffic officer in an average town what happens when you go a whole shift or two without writing any tickets. There are performance expectations, and while they vary from department to department and division to division, a general number of contacts and citations or warnings is expected, else you can bet the supervising sergeant, lieutenant, etc., will be handing out a "talking to".

Because all laws are good laws and there's no such thing as a speed trap. Obey!

Shouldn't be a problem for you anyway, Tim. Where you live, you could see a parked police car all the way to Odessa. :lol2:

My theory is- if the cops were trying to slow us down to keep us safe, they wouldn't hide. If they are going to hide, I will do whatever I can to warn other drivers about the trap.

My theory is- if the cops were trying to slow us down to keep us safe, they wouldn't hide. If they are going to hide, I will do whatever I can to warn other drivers about the trap.

Interestingly enough, there used to be an officer who would call into various morning radio shows to say where he would be running radar.

There are a number of smalll town cops that will park a cruiser at the edge of town to slow people down. Is it Lott or Rosebud that has a sign "Speed Trap" ahead at the outskirts of town.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk

There are a number of smalll town cops that will park a cruiser at the edge of town

That's probably the most effective solution. One of my regular routes has two towns that you would be surprised to make it all the way through without seeing one.

that signal has been around forever, originally you did a palm down wave and then put your fist on top of your helmet, like the cherry light the cops ran back a long time ago. it morphed into patting the helmet. the slow down signal with making the circular motion above your head is an old one as well. I'm surprised how many old time riders don't know this. Guess that's why so many look at me funny when I use it.

Back