• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

losing motivation to ride-- redux

• Thread starter Deleted member 23845
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 23845

All,

Last winter I posted on "losing motivation to ride" in this forum. There were a LOT of responses and discussion. Weeks to months of Gulf Coast rain were one of the reasons. Plus just boredom to a degree, despite a new Moto Guzzi and nice Triumph triple. Doom and gloom and constant rains and traffic, well yeah. And just down in life. We all go through those phases.

So this summer I have been averaging riding 3-4 times/week, sometimes five. I traded the Triumph for a new MV Agusta tre-pistoni. I have joined up with a group of fellow retired riders, meeting for breakfast each Monday morning in Alvin. And, an old friend has resumed riding, and I hope to go out with him when he is ready.

Lots of changes. And despite the heat, wasps and such: much more motivation. I am enjoying riding a lot more simply by venturing out more, saying yes to socialization and such. My good friend Mitch bought a dual bike trailer, and we plan on trailering bikes into central TX from the Gulf Coast to the hills and twists. Plan is late September, and maybe into Ouachitas and etc. Forget the long bike drone, use a trailer.

Might still squeak in a rental ride in my home SW CO. Fires and floods and drought have made the home roads a lot less enticing, but we will see before winter hits.

Heck, I even got lost on the MV last Thursday, and a planned 100 mile ride turned into almost 200. What a deal. I still need a nav system?

So, yeah, more motivated. I must admit the new MV has juiced me. It is incredibly fun, fast, pretty, challenging and sharp. Did I mention the MV is quick? That engine is simply amazing. Throttle control and maturity required.

Carry on. Forza- Bella Veloce!

Ciao,
Lucydad
aka the Durango Kid

I'm glad this has turned around for you. I look forward to the days that I can ride whenever I want, not just when I'm on a work release program (vacation)

Glad you just "stepped away" for a moment and gave it a break instead of dumping and running only to find out that you weren't that ready to leave it.

Nice ride!

Retirement is grand. Highly recommended.

Attachments

• MV_Aug12_18.jpg
    MV_Aug12_18.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 241
Retirement is grand. Highly recommended.

Yessir ... every day is Saturday!

I was retired by the company I worked for for 37 years.

The previous Thursday, I met a co-worker who had just purchased a new bike as a retirement present to himself.

We've ridden a few times and hopefully the two of us can flange up for more and longer rides.

Having friends to ride with and experience retirement helps a lot.

Ride on ... :chug:

Sometimes I get into a funk and just lose interest in all hobbies. My wife calls it mano-pause or I'm manstrating. Glad you got out of it!

I think I saw you on the Gucci a little while back on 99 turning eastbound on 90.

Long range Gulf Coast winter forecast: 167% of normal precipitation. That is what downs me on bikes: incessant rains, day after day. I can handle the heat/humidity of summer better, as long as I get out early in the day. Jesse H, yep, likely that was me on my small block Guzzi...

Lucydad, I'm glad the MV has restored your enjoyment of riding, that's very cool.
Hoping to meet up with you guys for breakfast one of these Mondays, I'm only semi retired so I hope that's ok....
Enjoy

KiwiTex,

Definitely join us for Monday breakfast in Alvin...great group, cheap and superb buffet...

KiwiTex,

Definitely join us for Monday breakfast in Alvin...great group, cheap and superb buffet...

I will try to get there in the next few weeks, I'm still recovering from a torn Achilles so I'm not riding or moving well just yet. It sounds like a good way to start the day so I'm looking forward to getting there.

Jack,

I hear you on too hot. My solution: on the road no later than 8 AM, preferably 7 AM. Go to bed early. Always carry water. Stay hydrated. Wear your gear as it protects from heat/sun.
Done by 10 AM, latest 11 AM. Keep moving, try to avoid freeway jams, long crowded lights at busy intersections. This time of year any ride for me over 100 miles is rare. Come October, that doubles, easy as the temperatures cool. Rain, and incessant days/weeks of Gulf Coast rain and gloom are what stop me riding.... its not Colorado, but we do our best.

Strom,

The bunny avatar was designed and drawn by my youngest daughter. She is a consultant motion media graphics artist...and she is thriving in Brooklyn, NY with full time clients in Manhattan. She also has two pet rescue bunnies: Trousers and Lacie. They are my "grand bunnies". So, this particular bunny in motion engaged me for a new avatar.

Meister,

We meet at Joe's BBQ Banquet center in Alvin, TX.. Monday mornings 8 AM.
Incredible value breakfast buffet for retirees...five bucks and you get change.
Easy access off highway 6. Easy parking.

Come join us.

http://joesbarbequecompany.com/catalog/banquet.php

Alvin is a bit far from me for breakfast ;-) The only way I might be able to do that was if I spent the night at my inlaw's place there in Alvin and then met you the next morning. I know exactly where Joe's is located. We used to eat there often. We ate at their original location near Manvel all the time when I was in Jr. High and Highschool.

Scott,

Please consider showing up some Monday morning. Heck, I might even spring the almost five bucks and buy your breakfast, maybe. Give advance notice and make your choice of which pretty Italian machine shows up. Good conversation, wonderful ambiance and the buffet is extensive. You like SW CO? I grew up there. Might, could be...tell you about the fabled cutthroat trout mecca fishing spot.

Jack,

I hear you on too hot. My solution: on the road no later than 8 AM, preferably 7 AM. Go to bed early. Always carry water. Stay hydrated. Wear your gear as it protects from heat/sun.
Done by 10 AM, latest 11 AM. Keep moving, try to avoid freeway jams, long crowded lights at busy intersections. This time of year any ride for me over 100 miles is rare. Come October, that doubles, easy as the temperatures cool. Rain, and incessant days/weeks of Gulf Coast rain and gloom are what stop me riding.... its not Colorado, but we do our best.

Well, I don't have to worry about traffic jams at least. :lol2: I ride the road, sometimes, over to Weimer from here, gets pretty curvy and had good pavement near Weimer. Then, I'll bop over to Columbus for breakfast, then home. So, my rides are less than 100 miles, but fun never-the-less. :rider: The KLR ain't the best handling of bikes, what with the knobbyish dual sports on it and the suspension set up for super-cross or something. But, it sure works on the ill-maintained dirt county roads around here, so it's a big time compromise as ANY dualsport is. I really don't want another motorcycle, though. The KLR might be the last bike I ever own. Sad. I've been without a motorcycle for ONE year in college since I got my license at age 14. It has kinda been a part of me for a long time. That's why I cling to my KLR at the moment and don't just sell it and forget it. I HAVE sold all my old race bikes, gone, but not forgotten. Who ever heard of a racer on medicare? :rofl:

Strom,

The bunny avatar was designed and drawn by my youngest daughter. She is a consultant motion media graphics artist...and she is thriving in Brooklyn, NY with full time clients in Manhattan. She also has two pet rescue bunnies: Trousers and Lacie. They are my "grand bunnies". So, this particular bunny in motion engaged me for a new avatar.

Hmm, edible pets. Whadda concept. :eat::lol2:

Jack,

Oh noooooo....don't let my daughter hear you say that. Given that, I have had lapin for lunch in Paris.

Jack,

Oh noooooo....don't let my daughter hear you say that. Given that, I have had lapin for lunch in Paris.

I've eaten my weight in wild cottontails. I tried to get my daughter interested in raising rabbits for 4H. I ended up doing all the feeding and water, she wouldn't get off her lazy butt to mess with it, so I ate 'em all. She liked fried rabbit, actually.:rofl:

There's a lady down our road that raises rabbits and my wife thought we might ought to, but we had chickens and I ended up the one that took care of 'em. SO, nope, no rabbits for ME. Women have conned me one too many times.:lol2:

BTW, I've read that if you eat nothing, but rabbit, you'll eventually have malnutrition because you won't get enough fat in your diet. Don't know if that's true, but the wild pigs I shoot give us enough fat, corn fed ya know. :D

Last edited:
Back