• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

I'd take a prayer or two if you have a minute to offer one.

Praying for you Mike. Holler if you think there is something I can help you out with.

Prayers sent from central Texas. Hope that if the issue is resolved it was in your favor.

Praying you will stay close to the source of peace, comfort, love and courage.

You got it Brother. Most things are bigger than us, but putting your faith and trust in God IS a magnificent experience. Praying, and hoping all will be well.

Last edited:
Prayers!! God Speed for clarity, understanding, health and peace knowing that he’s at your side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thoughts and prayers for you. We are all fighting a battle of some kind. Be of good cheer and know that God fights our battles.

God is BIG.
In whatever you are facing, I pray that you may know the height and depth and width and breadth of God's love for you through it all. God's mercy and grace be upon you and yours.

Adding you to my pray list Mike. This world is not a perfect place, hard times will come because of the imperfections of this world but God will keep and sustain us always.
Speaking from experience, when the storm comes and it seems like all hope is lost. God can be seen carefully working through every detail of those he loves and is calling to himself. Only through him can we have hope and an explanation to the insanity of this life.
Take care sir and let folks know if we can help physically as well as in prayer.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Mike,
In Christ's name we pray that the healing, clarity, focus, and peace that you pray for is granted.
R.

Folks I appreciate the prayers and kind words, and I can't help but think they've been a help because Beth and I have had a couple of really good days.

I'm reasonably intelligent, a vociferous reader, and a pretty good researcher. The truth is I had a real good idea what was coming when I first posted, but nothing was confirmed until Monday.

The Bullet

I have been diagnosed with dementia, and that will make this the beginning of a long goodbye. At this point there has been no real differential diagnosis, but there has been significant atrophy in two lobes of my brain. That would probably put it in the territory of frontotemporal dementia. Not a good thing. I was told the atrophy was what they would expect to see at 80 years of age and I'm just 59. I have been referred to UT Southwestern for more tests and I am very pleased by that, but none of that will come quickly. In fact the length of time it has taken to get these results has been a killer and if I hadn’t pushed, I wouldn't have had this information for 24 more days. The medical industrial complex considers this another day at work, but of course for me it’s my life.

There is not a prognosis of any type at this time. I could have a matter of months or years with some level of productivity. I’ve had a couple of days that scared the **** out of me and others that weren’t bad at all. The doctors have at times looked like they weren’t sure why I was there as I described my symptoms because they seem so minor. The MRI says it’s not a minor issue, but it can't see the future. I’m certainly not as sharp this month as I was last month though and I frankly don’t see where there is much to be done at this stage, but that does not mean I'm quitting.

I will likely start a thread in a day or two about this. While I'm generally a pretty private person, I see a lot of folks struggling with priorities, retirement issues and sometimes life in general. The prayers for clarity may have worked because there are things that just seem clear as a bell to me right now. Maybe the perspective of someone in my shoes will be helpful to someone. We may find out.

It's been a tough month as I've worked through this and another unrelated but difficult issue as well and now I'm just beginning to work through telling folks about this. I've got several more days of that in front of me.

I hate to ask for other folks time, but this is way bigger than I am without a doubt. I sure won't dismiss anyone who wants to throw up another prayer or two. Thanks to all of you and I hope God blesses each of you. There are indeed good people here.

That's tough, I'm sorry to hear it. Lots of Alzheimer's in my family so I kind of get it.

Prayers will keep coming.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

:tab I hate hearing that diagnosis Mike. We have several dear friends here in town that are struggling with it, one in her 80s and another in her early 60s. My maternal grandmother had it REALLY bad for the last 15 years or so of her life. She could remember stuff from 50 years before, but not that she just finished eating breakfast. Both of my Mom's parents lived with us for the last few years of their lives and I got to deal with her dementia every single day during that time. It made a BIG impression on me. As scary as cancer might be, I think I'd choose that over dementia any day... It is heart breaking to watch other people you care for, and those that take care of them, go through it. We will keep you and your wife in our prayers.

Brother I will be praying for you. I can't say anything else that will matter.

Mike, that is a tough read. I know we've only recently met, but you seem like a great guy and I hate to hear this is happening in your life. I'm very sorry. I'll definitely be praying for you.

I don't know if this is applicable in your case as I know there are many types of dementia, but I've studied quite a bit about nutrition in the last few years and I've found where they are starting to call Alzheimer's specifically,"Type 3 Diabetes." In some circles, they are saying that drastically reducing carbohydrate intake can potentially help.

Here is the article where I first read about it:

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/...alzheimer-s-disease-could-be-easier-you-think

Not sure if it is any help, but just wanted to mention it in case it might be. I've been trying to follow low carb/ketogenic diets for a couple of years now mostly for this reason.

Chief, so sorry to hear this news, it's a scary thing indeed.
There is little else I can do for you so I will do some more praying.
Wishing you and your family peace, courage and strength.

This is a pretty scary thing, but the fact is that there have been some good things happen too. That may be due to prayer. I can ask no more and I appreciate the time and effort greatly.

For the next several days I'm still notifying the people in my life that things are changing. After that I'll start looking into the situation more and at the information that has been provided to me. I will also likely start another thread to discuss this and other related issues. It will not be intended to be maudlin, but rather a realistic look at issues we all might face.

Thanks again folks. I'm sure the effort hasn't hurt and willing to bet it has helped bring about some of the good stuff.

If I can share a story. About 25 yrs ago I met an amazing friend. She had always wanted to be a nun, she had gone to college and got a degree in theology. She joined a monastery and then realized she had feelings for a man. She left, married, and had a child. He turned out to be a drunk wife beater. This is when I met her. She struggled through till one night he wrapped his car around a tree driving home drunk and died. No life insurance , no health insurance , a young child and no hope. Fate would have it that a real “jerk” we all knew caught her eye. Within months they married. he became an an amazing father and in the same time she was diagnosed and died of breast cancer.
God no doubt had a plan to bring her child into this world and also turn a man into a tremendous father.

Crew chief, enjoy each day and touch those around you. We all enjoy a m/c habit which is not the safest way to live. But our Lord has a plan for each of us.

Sure would be nice to know what it is, 'cause right now we aren't exactly singing from the same sheet of music, he said as lightheartedly as he can. As a musician I would sometimes get lost on the page. Maybe he'll point me to the right bar soon. I guess that's what prayer is for.

Back