TWT Forums  

Go Back   TWT Forums > Texas Dualsport Riding > After the Ride

Notices

Forum Jump

Old 07-27-2017, 02:23 PM   #41
Montejay
Forum Supporter

Re: Father and Son NMBDR, New Mexico Backcountry Discovery

Sounds like a blast Scott. I'm building my bucket list, of rides like that, for when I retire in a couple of years.
Montejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 02:29 PM   #42
KoryJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourmeister View Post
NOOOOOOO!!! That blows! That was such a cool pass!

Looking West from the top

Were you both running on stock suspension? The stock springs are not real stiff. I replaced the rear and fork springs on my 02 KLR with stiffer springs and it made a HUGE difference in how well the bike handled, loaded and unloaded. I still used the stock shock. I just put a 420 series spring on it. I originally used the Rosler progressive springs in the forks but later swapped for the Race Tech straight rate springs and they were MUCH better. I stayed with stock damping stuff and I think I used a slightly heavier oil in the forks. Overall, I think I spent about $250-300 on it. Money well spent!!

The other inexpensive thing that made a huge difference was repacking and re-torquing the steering head bearings. They often come minimally greased and slightly loose from the factory. Mine were really loose and had very little grease. Fixing it made the bike track MUCH better, especially in stuff like deep gravel and sand.

Progressive fork springs in the 15 and straight fork springs in the 08. Not much else changed on the suspension.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
KoryJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 02:35 PM   #43
Montejay
Forum Supporter

Thanks Phil.
Old 07-27-2017, 02:54 PM   #44
Montejay
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourmeister View Post
NOOOOOOO!!! That blows! That was such a cool pass!

Looking West from the top

Were you both running on stock suspension? The stock springs are not real stiff. I replaced the rear and fork springs on my 02 KLR with stiffer springs and it made a HUGE difference in how well the bike handled, loaded and unloaded. I still used the stock shock. I just put a 420 series spring on it. I originally used the Rosler progressive springs in the forks but later swapped for the Race Tech straight rate springs and they were MUCH better. I stayed with stock damping stuff and I think I used a slightly heavier oil in the forks. Overall, I think I spent about $250-300 on it. Money well spent!!

The other inexpensive thing that made a huge difference was repacking and re-torquing the steering head bearings. They often come minimally greased and slightly loose from the factory. Mine were really loose and had very little grease. Fixing it made the bike track MUCH better, especially in stuff like deep gravel and sand.
Thanks Scott for the information. I did install progressive springs and adjust oil level, as Kory said. But I feel like I may need to try re-lubing and check the torque on the steering head bearings, it still does not feel quite right. I want to add a fork brace also.
Old 07-27-2017, 03:30 PM   #45
_RG_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montejay View Post
Thanks for the info RG. We probably will not be doing the COBDR until
next summer.
Is the middle of July a good time to do this one?
Is the problem with the cottonwood pass road snow, or just damage?

Folks, to avoid messing up KoryJ's report, I've made another thread for BDR stuff HERE.