• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

A Japanese motorcycle that leaks oil?

LYNYRD

Reaction score
First Name
LYNN
Last Name
BOYD
Say it ain't so! My DL1000 is leaking a little oil. Looks like (from research I've done on several V-Strom forums), that this is a common problem on these bikes. I told my Harley riding buddy about it( he refused to ride my wing because he was afraid he'd like it and couldn't afford to give up all his Harley branded clothing and gear!), he laughed. I told him the previous owner had a few old Harley leakers parked in his garage beside the V-Strom and the vee was just trying to fit in...my attempt at humor tonight. I hope y'all get a laugh out of it.

It's not leaking, it's sweating knowing who is riding her now...
:trust:

It's not leaking, it's sweating knowing who is riding her now...

:trust:

That's funny! I need a new name since I sold the wing. Any suggestions? Flywing doesn't fit. Maybe "Flying Vee"?

Never heard of a leaky VStrom. My first one's engine case did get a bit oily. Seems I had overfilled it a bit, and some oil got slung through the air box. But never a drop on the ground. Do you know where it's leaking from?

Never heard of a leaky VStrom. My first one's engine case did get a bit oily. Seems I had overfilled it a bit, and some oil got slung through the air box. But never a drop on the ground. Do you know where it's leaking from?

From what I've been able to determine without disassembly is that the clutch push rod seal, the o-ring behind the counter sprocket, or the seal behind the sprocket are the culprits. I've ordered all three parts and that should solve my problem. Sometimes just a little dirt getting behind the sprocket can cause the o-ring not to seal good is what I've read about on Stromtrooper. It's not much of a leak but I don't want any since it does drip down on the left exhaust and burns.

Last edited:
Just spit balling here on names, but, Environmental hazard...Exxon Valdez...The grim weeper? :rofl:

Mabe jus me but..... what connection does LYNYRD hav to the Wing....?
I like it....keep the name... & let your avitar talk bike

Sent from my LGL34C using Tapatalk

Lynyrd is a nickname from an old school buddy that has passed on. CDC started calling me Flywing after riding with me at the Roll the Bones 3 years ago. On the Stromtrooper forum I'm LynyrdFlywing. I was just messing with Camilo. I'll keep LYNYRD.

:clap:

Know your people for 5 points...

The push rod seal drips on occasion on my Strom too. Eh.

It looks to be a simple fix. Dripping on the exhaust and burning is my biggest gripe. We'll see how fixing mine goes, then if you like, order the parts and come over and we can fix yours too.

It looks to be a simple fix. Dripping on the exhaust and burning is my biggest gripe. We'll see how fixing mine goes, then if you like, order the parts and come over and we can fix yours too.

I have a lift so that should make it easier to get to.

If you order the seal, order extra one for us. Split shipping

Already ordered from local dealer. Bike Bandit doesn't show all the parts and Partszilla doesn't show picture of parts so just went local guys about 5 minutes from my house.

They don't make them like they used to, Honda is having issues with its little thumper either leaking or exploding.

Already ordered from local dealer. Bike Bandit doesn't show all the parts and Partszilla doesn't show picture of parts so just went local guys about 5 minutes from my house.

Does the seal install from outside case? If so how do you get old one out?
LYNARD, It is good the way you honor your friend with your UN.

Does the seal install from outside case? If so how do you get old one out?

LYNARD, It is good the way you honor your friend with your UN.

Installed from outside the case. Drill a small hole and turn a sheet metal screw into it and pull it out. Lynyrd Skynyrd was getting popular back then so he tagged me since my name is Lynn. He was a good friend that everyone liked. Had heart issues that took his life in his early forties. I still miss that guy.

Well, I finally got the bike all back together. I've had bronchitis for the last 2 weeks and just now starting to feel human again.
4f6fc2a6a10af84a6fb76b44982ee3e0.jpg
c5e9ae65a238485c7d1c74dc4797ba35.jpg
17f8bb2ddaa61b4bf865194ea346dfbe.jpg

Back