• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

You meet the nicest people...

Tourmeister

Keeper of the Asylum
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Friday
So here I am, 1:00 am, sitting in the emergency vet clinic in Conroe wondering if my nutcase siamese buddy is going to make it through the night. We noticed him laying around the house Sunday and being unusually lethargic and unresponsive. Yesterday was our VFR maintenance clinic and we thought maybe he managed to get into some of the radiator fluids or brake fluids. But we had been very careful to keep it all cleaned up and in sealed containers.

In walks a gentleman with an old and frail looking German Shepard. One thing leads to another and we get to chatting. Whaddayaknow! He rides a 95 VFR750 :dude: So we start chatting bikes while waiting for any news about our faithful companions.

After several hours, the vet finally comes out and lets us know that they drew blood, ran some tests, and he really is not sure what is wrong with the cat. He assures us that he will make it through the night and sends us home with a copy of the blood tests, the rest of the blood, and orders to see our local vet ASAP Monday morning. Thank you, that will be $258!!! :angryfire:

Well, right now we still don't know what is wrong. We do know it is not a result of antifreeze or brake fluid poisoning. So we keep waiting :shrug:

Adios,

Last edited:
Well, an untold number of dollars later, we know the cat was not poisoned by anything. He has three broken ribs. We suspect he was treed by some local dogs and may have fallen, hitting his ribcage on a branch. This has caused an infection to set in and fluid to collect in the lungs. I went by the vet to see him today and he looks much better. He is still unresponsive and sluggish. There is concern that he may have something called FIP, a virus of some sort, untreatable and 100% terminal and contagious. If he tests postive, we will have to put him down to keep from infecting the other four cats. :-( I know he is just a cat, but he has been a special buddy, sitting on my desk keeping me company for hours on end, keeping my bike's seat warm when I am away, standing on my chest and staring at me at 5:00am, blah blah blah. I just hate having to make these kind of decisions. We'll know more tomorrow for sure. We're keeping our fingers crossed. :-|

Adios,

Best of luck with your cat. Family pets are never "just a dog" or "just a cat". You still have to keep things in perspective (they're not children), but still a very big part of your life.

Frank died last night sometime after midnight. The Vet has no idea what actually killed him. Blood test results were inconclusive. Apparently, there is no definitive test for the FIP virus. Yesterday, the Vet's best guess was that it was the virus. The crazy thing is how fast he died. He was fine Saturday night, near death Sunday and never improved until last night. That is not typical of the virus. Not knowing kind of sucks. :-(

So I'll pick him up from the Vet's this afternoon and bury him with all the other pets we've had down through the years. I sure will miss him. :-|

Adios,

Sorry

It's always tough to lose a pet. I lost my Chocolate Lab in September of 2001. She was poisoned accidentally by a neighbor. I'll never get over it.

Sorry to hear about this, Scott. It's tough losing a pet, for sure. I'm hoping my crazy Aussie dog has lot's of years left but I know when the time comes it's gonna be tough letting him go.

Condolences, bud.

Oh dear!
We have been there as well (four Burmans) two of which cost us a lot of money to no avail :(

Still Cats are Cool!
Brian

hi again

Met you and Beth that awful night at the emergency vet clinic. Hope the kitty got better. Mine don't go outside-I saw a coyote in the street near my house two weeks ago one night about 10:30. Just moseying along he was! They have killed a dog here in the Woodlands recently.

Will try to get out to King's Cafe some night while th prime riding season is here.

Back