• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

2018 MexTrek #8, Oct 20th - 23rd 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also wondering is there room for more people? I would like to join. Do I need to bring camping gear or it’s hotel every night? After party too? 1190 adv r suitable for the ride?

Hey Goyko -

Avg high in Galeana for Oct is 72.5, low 48.4. Records in Oct are 90 and 32. Avg rain is Oct in Galeana is 1.7 in - tail end of the wet season.

So, I'll prepared for a range of temps and have rain gear.

This is my first time, so don't have direct exp riding around Galeana on dirt with Mextrek to opine on your bike choice, but I have been to Galena a couple of times riding through. I was on my GS12 and it friggin rocked on the paved roads around the mountain. Extra suspension really helped with the pavement conditions. I've seen Pete post up earlier regarding the After Party that erring on the side of a larger bike is not a bad idea given the distances that will be covered. Anyway, I'm sure others can offer better insight. I will be riding by 500EXC for this trip.

I'm coming down from Houston early Friday AM, but bringing my bike in the back of my truck. Happy to swap numbers with you if you want. Just PM me.

I have not heard anything about registration being closed, so you just need to register. No camping, all 'hotels'.

Regarding communication - see Pete's posting at the beg of this thread for all you communication answers. But.... if you are using a 20s you will need some way of patching it to the walkie/talkie of your choice. I use the Sena SR10 to accomplish this. There is a great write up on WebBikeWorld that will tell you all you want to know about this, but feel free to PM me on this as well. https://www.webbikeworld.com/sena-sr10-review-part-2-6/

Last edited:
Hey Goyko -

Avg high in Galeana for Oct is 72.5, low 48.4. Records in Oct are 90 and 32. Avg rain is Oct in Galeana is 1.7 in - tail end of the wet season.

So, I'll prepared for a range of temps and have rain gear.

This is my first time, so don't have direct exp riding around Galeana on dirt with Mextrek to opine on your bike choice, but I have been to Galena a couple of times riding through. I was on my GS12 and it friggin rocked on the paved roads around the mountain. Extra suspension really helped with the pavement conditions. I've seen Pete post up earlier regarding the After Party that erring on the side of a larger bike is not a bad idea given the distances that will be covered. Anyway, I'm sure others can offer better insight. I will be riding by 500EXC for this trip.

I'm coming down from Houston early Friday AM, but bringing my bike in the back of my truck. Happy to swap numbers with you if you want. Just PM me.

I have not heard anything about registration being closed, so you just need to register. No camping, all 'hotels'.

Regarding communication - see Pete's posting at the beg of this thread for all you communication answers. But.... if you are using a 20s you will need some way of patching it to the walkie/talkie of your choice. I use the Sena SR10 to accomplish this. There is a great write up on WebBikeWorld that will tell you all you want to know about this, but feel free to PM me on this as well. https://www.webbikeworld.com/sena-sr10-review-part-2-6/

Thanks for all the info. I’ll read it therally when I get home.

Also wondering is there room for more people? I would like to join. Do I need to bring camping gear or it’s hotel every night? After party too? 1190 adv r suitable for the ride?

We are expecting 40 to 50 riders. We can accommodate 92.

All hotels. No camping. No food prep items needed. We eat very very well for very little money. If you are cooking for yourself in Mexico you are doing it wrong.

After party is all hotel. 4 to 5 star meals that cost $20 with a pina colada.

1190 ADV is perfect. We have 2 or 3 already coming on this ride

***Coming, or not coming, order Richard's fabulous Mextrek booklet. It answers 95% of first timer's questions for $25. And it is invaluable in Mexico. I / we are entertainingly annoyed at riders, new and experienced, when a conversation goes exactly like this, which it does every single morning, in glorious Mexico:

Noob: What are you riding today? Can I join?

Us: Gold Standard

Noob: Is if fun?

Us: Yes, very

Noob: How far?

Us: Guidebook.

Noob: Is it hard?

Us: Guidebook. Class 3

Noob: What is a class 3?

US: Guidebook

Noob: How do I navigate it?

Us: Guidebook, included hard copy topo map, or GPS tracks we sent out via email

Noob: Should I gas up before we head out. I can go 22 miles on what I have in the tank

Us: Guidebook

In reality we always answer every question with a smile, with a thorough answer. Then as soon as all questions are answered, up walks a 5 time Mextrek rider...

5 timer: What are ya'll riding

Us: Gold standard

5 Timer: What's that?

Us: Ugh....:giveup: It's the ride you did with JT 3 years ago that goes to Santiago.

5 Timer: Sweet. I have extra tubes and tools and a compressor for 18/21 tires. I'm with Justin today. We'll see you at the Pemex in 5.

Last edited:
Hey Goyko -

Avg high in Galeana for Oct is 72.5, low 48.4. Records in Oct are 90 and 32. Avg rain is Oct in Galeana is 1.7 in - tail end of the wet season....

On a serious note, the weather in Galeana is always much warmer in reality than it is on any weather website or app. Our very real theory is all the weather stations are either at the top of Cerro Potosi or another high mountain in the area. Likely at the golf ball.

Last June we saw temps 15 - 20 degrees higher in Galeana than our weather apps were all showing.

Anyone else care to chime in who's experienced this in Galeana?

I'd guess 75 - 80 as the avg high, and 55-60 the average low in town. In the mountains, cooler. In the valleys, 5 to 10 higher.

Of particular importance: Nightfall, 55 degrees, rainy. Not a fun picnic if broken down or heading back to Galeana after sunset.

I have Nora, the hotel owner, on Whattsapp and can get actual temps for the days leading up to the trip.

Also a couple of other other friends in town who are on Whatsapp that actually speak Fahrenheit.

Speaking of, I better get Armando on the phone and get our Monday night feast at La Bonita squared away. And if you guys thought the enchiladas were tasty, note that the restaurant has long closed (we get special favors) , but the bakery has a line out the door in the AM. There is a professionally trained pastry chef as half owner, but I'm not naming names. Best slice of Coconut cream cake I've ever eaten!

On a serious note, the weather in Galeana is always much warmer in reality than it is on any weather website or app. Our very real theory is all the weather stations are either at the top of Cerro Potosi or another high mountain in the area. Likely at the golf ball.

Last June we saw temps 15 - 20 degrees higher in Galeana than our weather apps were all showing.

Anyone else care to chime in who's experienced this in Galeana?

I'd guess 75 - 80 as the avg high, and 55-60 the average low in town. In the mountains, cooler. In the valleys, 5 to 10 higher.

Of particular importance: Nightfall, 55 degrees, rainy. Not a fun picnic if broken down or heading back to Galeana after sunset.

Got it. Thanks for all the info. I signed up and payed already. I will order the maps. And considering you have more experience with the area, I have a question about gear. Do you think it’s better to wear dirt bike gear, dirt bike helmet and googles, with small rain jacket in the backpack, or goretex/adventure jacket and pants with dual sport helmet?

Got it. Thanks for all the info. I signed up and payed already. I will order the maps. And considering you have more experience with the area, I have a question about gear. Do you think it’s better to wear dirt bike gear, dirt bike helmet and googles, with small rain jacket in the backpack, or goretex/adventure jacket and pants with dual sport helmet?

That was a question I struggled with as well. My group of three split, two in mx gear and me in adv gear. It all comes down to where you want to be most protected and where you're willing to compromise something.

It's several hundred miles of riding on pavement and I like have some protection if I go down. On the trails I paid for it (a bit) with being hotter and having heavier gear. I was fine. The mx guys were super comfortable on the trails but lacked adequate protection if they hit the pavement during transitions.

You're on an 1190 R which already will limit some of your trail riding. You'll mostly be on class 1 & 2 dirt roads and the majority of this trip on pavement. I'd personally choose adventure gear.

That was a question I struggled with as well. My group of three split, two in mx gear and me in adv gear. It all comes down to where you want to be most protected and where you're willing to compromise something.

It's several hundred miles of riding on pavement and I like have some protection if I go down. On the trails I paid for it (a bit) with being hotter and having heavier gear. I was fine. The mx guys were super comfortable on the trails but lacked adequate protection if they hit the pavement during transitions.

You're on an 1190 R which already will limit some of your trail riding. You'll mostly be on class 1 & 2 dirt roads and the majority of this trip on pavement. I'd personally choose adventure gear.

I didn’t realize it’s so much pavement. In that case I’ll have the jacket and when we hit the trails I can just strap it to the bike if it’s too hot. And I’m not chickening out from the trails, I’m taking all of the routes as small bikes. :rider:

I ride in a nylon mesh Joe Rocket street jacket with armor (keeps me warm and protected, good to 85 degrees), adv style Oneal pants (lots of pockets, legs zip off for cooling off), cheaper BILT street gloves (with hard protection), Alpinestars street roadrace boots (better for walking around than pure motocross boots), and an ADV style helmet (with sun visor, but also built in windscreen...no goggles thank god). When we get to Galeana I opt to ride in a jersey, no jacket, unless its a mainly street day.

P

So Peter, are you saying when you're riding trails around Galeana you're not wearing any upper body protection?

I understand wanting to do that. When I was there doing day rides on some technical trails in the heat and humidity I really didn't like having that heavy adv jacket on, even with it's significant airflow.

I guess in the end it's all down to your personal tolerance for risk vs reward. And that's what I love about Mexico in general. You get to make your own choices but you're expected to be responsible for them when they don't go your way!

MAN I wish I was going on this trip!

If you are registered for the ride you should have rec'd an email just now asking for some clarifications. Please read and respond so we can narrow down the group. Thanks!!

I guess in the end it's all down to your personal tolerance for risk vs reward. And that's what I love about Mexico in general. You get to make your own choices but you're expected to be responsible for them when they don't go your way!

Every time my brother (who lived in Guanajuato during his college / law school gap years) crosses the border he says,

"Welcome to the land of personal responsibility!!!!"

Meaning, do what you want (aka have fun), but it is on you to deal with the outcome (No nanny state rules, or protections, down south).

I ride in my mesh jacket unless it is over 85 degrees. In just my jersey I ride a very relaxed pace 3 or 4 out of 10, not the normal Mexico 6 or 7 out of 10. Stateside I maybe go 8 out of 10. On my scale, 10 of 10 is crashing, kinda hard, kinda often. Everett rides 9 of 10, haha.

I tried a ADV style weatherproof jacket last fall after watching temps online. Online lied. i sweated my bootie off and was absolutely miserable the whole trip in the muffin top. If it had been in the 50's and 60's like I thought It might have been comfortable. So, back to the mesh and light hoodie underneath if cold. Hoodie and pnocho if its raining.

I usually havve 5 or 8 guys in tow. I focus more on getting through the day as an intact group over pushing any limits. Mexico is not the place to go over 80% of your comfort zone.

Last edited:
I didn’t realize it’s so much pavement. In that case I’ll have the jacket and when we hit the trails I can just strap it to the bike if it’s too hot. And I’m not chickening out from the trails, I’m taking all of the routes as small bikes. :rider:

It's 150 miles of pavement and 30 miles of dirt to get to and from Galeana from the border. Most riding days you'll see 20 miles of pavement (all very, very nice 45 mph stuff) each way, on average, to get to great dirt.

After party is much more pavement moving town to town, but more exploring on stranger less known stuff once there.

It's 150 miles of pavement and 30 miles of dirt to get to and from Galeana from the border. Most riding days you'll see 20 miles of pavement (all very, very nice 45 mph stuff) each way, on average, to get to great dirt.

After party is much more pavement moving town to town, but more exploring on stranger less known stuff once there.

If doing the after party don't you have some longer commuting days to Tula ,Cuidad Victoria and then to Mission?

Houston area riders, shoot me a PM if you wanna team up to ride down on Friday morning. Alternatively was considering renting a pickup truck for Friday - Tuesday to load up the bike and leave it at the border for the long weekend.

This sounds like a lot of fun. Maybe when I’m more experienced and have the right bike I’ll join you guys. Plus you guys might use my native Spanish (I’m from that area).

I did this trip last year on my Versys 650....just do a little bulletproofing and u will be fine. I did everything everyone else did

Hey, I signed up but sent the $50 to unclesaroundthebend Is it ok?
Andre

I have the second edition of your world famous guide book and the maps. Is it still good?

Last edited:
Read the revised itinerary...This revised route favors smaller bikes, but still has 4 days with 100+ miles of concrete. Unavoidable...Sorry, sorry, sorry, I hate to do this to you again, but lodging just popped up in my choice town for the second weekend, so there is a major shift in strategy and fun. Much less riding to connect far off towns. More fun events and great rides. In short, the schedule is now as follows:

Mextrek #8: 42 riders

Fri 19th - Mission rendevoux @ Mambo's Seafood
Sat 20th - Depart for Galeana / Stay in Galeana
Sun 21st - Galeana
Mon 22nd - Galeana
Tues 23rd - Mextrek Ends - return home.
The names I have on the list for Mextrek ONLY are as follows:

Mel Tooley
Karl Boehm
John Joyce
Jared Schettler
Peter Garza
Kyle Weber
Luis Frayre

The Afterparty V2.0 begins Tuesday the 23rd an now looks much more like the original plan: 35 riders

Tues 23rd - Additional night in Galeana (highly requested for more ride time)

Riders probably returning to USA Wed the 24th: Now 33 riders
Don Davis
Desiree Davis

Wed 24th - Dirt route to Real De Catorce (Chase truck for gear) - Stay in Hotel Real Bonanza. 20 rooms reserved for 33 riders. 10 additional rooms available for individual lodging. Cost $40 - $45 per room, Zeke still negotiating on our behalf. Many other options available if you want to book your own upon arrival or in advance. Rates range from $20 or so per person to $100.

Thurs 25th - Real de Catorce: Horseback riding, moto exploring the hard way down and local roads. Hotel Bonanza again.

Riders heading home Friday: 24 Riders going to Santiago
ken Musgrove
brandon Musgrove
Shai Lurie
Kristopher Sutherly
Gabriel Hanson
Nick Harrell
Bill Fann
Charles Nevle
John Crouse

Fri 26th - Concrete to Galeana, Dirt to Santiago, visit the Private Waterfall. (Chase truck for gear) Lodgings 21 bed hacienda guesthouse. Cost: $600 split by number of riders, about $30 per person per night.

Departing Saturday: Down to 22 Riders
Dao Hoang
John Crouse

Sat 27th - Santiago again. Local rides to La Ascension, La Trinidad, Petrero Redondo

Departing Sunday: (Chase truck for gear) 8 Riders Left

Thomas Mangold
Mark Winer
Steven Michaelis
David Bumpas
James Bender - Chase Truck
scott edwards
Reagan Evans
Jerry Matson
Jeff Cole
Nicholas Meyer
Jeff Carney