• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

D606 trail repair?

F-Ride

Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Am replacing Sparky's shoes at 4,500 miles. Went with the MT21 Front & D606 Rear combo. Front tire went on without a hitch. However that 606 was a real bear! It was so stiff, I was not able to install second rimlock. In hindsite, I should of left them installed (tightend down) then put tire on wheel over them. But once I got the tire on one side of the rim, there was no way I was going to do it again :miffed: So only one rimlock installed meant more weight required to static ballance. I doubt it will spin as that tire is very stiff. Used new standard tube, and Ride-on sealer.

I doubt I would even attempt a field repair on this tire. Would strongly consider limping out... Has anyone fixed a flat on this tire on the trail?

Will see how the tire lasts, performes and consider tubless system next time.

You, my friend, need the Baja No-Pinch Tire Tool!

I run the D606 and flats on that with the BNPTT are a breeze

See the Mad Scientist Tire Academy thread!

Cold tires don't play nice. Bring em inside and set next to the fireplace for a spell with one draped on each shoulder. It looks a little odd at first but it adds a lovely aroma to the living room. Your wife's hair dryer should be used to help keep them warm and hasten installation. It's best if she goes shopping while you do this. Since she'll be gone anyway, the kitchen table will get you up off your knees during the install and your beer will be set at a more convenient reachable level to boot. And always remember, tire lube is your friend. More is better - use as much tire lube as possible. Don't worry about excess lube spillage since it also adds to the home's new aromas. Some folks foolishly believe that tableware is not generally recognized as suitable tire tool equipment, but you never really know until you try. That fancy pie server thing might be just the ticket for slipping between the rim and bead and there's probably no way it could ever pinch a tube. Go for it! You'll be done and out knocking off the nubbs long before she ever gets back. You're very welcome. Always glad to offer sage wisdom... that's just how I am.

Well RG has a good plan and Trice has a nifty little tool. I run a 606 with double bead lock and field repair is the same as home repair. I just get down on the ground and work it with three tire levers and lube. I have had one that I walked away from for about 30min and when I came back it went right on.

Trust me, trailside patching is usually done on a warm tire and as it goes flat it softens up the sidewall some. Fix it right away on the trail and it will be easier enough.

And the tool that Tricepilot suggests will help.

Or, do what Milton does.....ride with Trail Boss!

That way you can have a latte trailside and direct Richard to focus upon tus juanetes with a great foot massage.

Hey I always heard what happens in Mexico stays in Mexico. Now you let the cat out.:lol2:

I'm still kicking around the idea of modifying the "Baja no pinch" to double as tire irons for tire removal.

If someone will give me one ,I will weld spoons on it , and use it :mrgreen:

Well RG has a good plan and Trice has a nifty little tool. I run a 606 with double bead lock and field repair is the same as home repair. I just get down on the ground and work it with three tire levers and lube. I have had one that I walked away from for about 30min and when I came back it went right on.

Same for me. If it's hard, I'm doing something wrong - generally not lubricating the tire correctly or trying to pry too much of the tire on at one time.
m

Or, do what Milton does.....ride with Trail Boss!

Or ride with Don Bell, he has mojo. Flats don't mess with him.

3bd7f633-4c82-49cb-a122-d93414abd02c_zps8eo0xogc.jpg

All well and good advice. I must expand, this wasn't my first tire change. I used to wrench back in the 80's. In general, dirt bike tires are easier because they have softer rubber. Perhaps because this is a DOT tire it was very stiff, or maybe, just maybe - I'm gett'n older :nono:

I tested my Motionpro Bead breaker irons out and happy to report they made quick work of the Trailwings. However for installation, I don't like them due to their lack of lip bend. So I used Tusk trail irons (good lip bend), but soon went for my shop iron. Also preheated tire & used soapy water. Still took me about an hour (with a few breaks) to wrestle that rubber into submission.

Tracepilot - The Baja No-Pinch looks nifty for install, & may need to give it a try. Bwdmax will you be my ride buddy forever?

So I will be thankful it was a success, and like Trail Boss, continue to be greatful for a record of zero on WRR field repair :dude:

Last edited:
Bwdmax will you be my ride buddy forever?

We'll forever is a long time, but you can bet that if we are on the same path and you got troubles I'll do what I can to get you rolling.

I have always run D606's (love them) and never had any trouble changing them on the trail or at home!! Maybe as suggested, your tyre was just really cold and very stiff!! I have always used a single rim clamp with this tyre and never had one come off..

Gary

Once you have D606's down to minor inconvenience level, try a Mitas E-07 150/70-17.

Back