• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Convert Certificate of Origin to Title?

Ahh, Huh? If you have the MSO and a bill of sale, you own the bike...or at least in every state I have lived in that did not require registration or title of off road vehicles..(more than a few now)

Depending on the state, you may be in violation of your state's vehicle registration law... but that has no impact on ownership. When I lived in Oregon for example, they do not require a non road legal vehicle to be registered or titled.. they recommend it of course for the "benefits" like paying taxes, fees oh ya and you know incase its stolen... but still just a recommendation.

I own to this day 2 motorcycles purchased in such a state, MSO and bill of sale...both bikes reside in a state with no off road vehicle title or registration required.. the sale and proof of ownership is complete at just that..Possession of the MSO and bill of sale.

Texas requires you register it... but that has nothing to do with ownership on a bike in another state...until you bring it to TX

If you feel Im mistaken, please cite the Texas law that supports your position of non ownership without registering the off road vehicle.....If Im mistaken I'd love to know why and get educated :giveup: i mean that sincerely.. Thanks

BTW, Georgia also does not require you title an off road motorcycle, so MSO and Bill of sale is all the OWNER will have.
So, you have the MSO assigned to someone else, and a bill of sale. When you sell the bike you give a bill of sale, so the next owner has the MSO and two bills of sale. Meanwhile there is no record filed anywhere showing ownership. As the bike changes hands the stack of bills of sale grows. If the bike gets stolen and recovered police have no way of knowing who the owner is.

The O.P. did the smart thing getting a bonded title.

Back