• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

TWT Newbie in central Texas

Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Dickinson
Hi Y'all!

Just stumbled across your forum here and thought I'd join in.

I'm in Stephenville, the Cowboy Capital of the world, and home of Hard 8 Bar-B-Q, a popular stop for bike riders headed for the hill country, and pilots seeking out "the hundred dollar hamburger".

I've been riding motorcycles for 38 years now starting with small dirt bikes at 8yrs old and graduating on to street bikes at 16. I've had or rode a little of everything along the way.

I currently am riding a 2000 KLR 650 dual sport and a 2002 Kawasaki Concours sport tourer.

Always good to have another KLR nut here ;-) :wave:

I guess an exact answer would be no... I've been along for the ride a few times though.

"The hundred dollar hamburger" refers to private pilots who meet up with their buddies in out of the way airports for lunch for the sole purpose of logging the flight hours getting there just to keep their pilots licenses current.

The expression came from what it costs to rent the plane for the afternoon and the cost of the aviation gas to fill it up just to eat in some faraway greasy spoon. I imagine its actually more like the $250 hambuger today.

Hard Eight is owned by a pilot and very close to the airport. The owner keeps several golfcarts on stand by at the airport for the sole purpose of pilots who stop in for dinner to have a way back and forth between the resturant and the airport.

They also have a dedicated parking lot just for motorcycles called "The Hawg Pen".

:doh: I'm a bone head! I thought you were referring to that strange Texas-type phenomenon where we eat a 120 oz steak, a 10 pound cheese pizza, & the "$100 hamburger"! OK...lesson learned!

Welcome anyway!!!!

Mmmmm, Hard 8... their brisket is a bit of a crapshoot, sometimes it comes out kind of dry... but when it's good, it's good.

BTW... I thought Bandera was the cowboy capital?

Bandana?? Nah.... Not as long as Ty, Tuff, the Carillo Bros and a whole bunch of others have anything to say about it....

I always bypass the brisket in favor of the whole smoked sirloin and the smoked turkey butt. On weekends though, its all about the PRIME RIB.

The absolute best item on the menu is the brushpoppers. Sometimes they're hard to get, they sell 'em faster than they can cook 'em. THEY ROCK!

Back