• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Bitter

Reaction score
I entered the Texas Two Step Rally this year and just completed an 1,140 mile run on my bike. The Rally has checkpoint cities that you have to make, and bonus locations all over the State of Texas to visit and document your presence by taking a polaroid picture, recording the time and odometer and answering some questions. It’s a 32 hour rally that starts at 4am on Saturday, ends at noon on Sunday, and has an 8-hour mandatory stop that has to start by 4pm and end no sooner than 12 midnite. We had 4 mandatory checkpoint cities - Dallas, San Angelo, San Antonio and College State. The checkpoints and bonus locations were not disclosed until our rider meeting on Friday nite, which only left a couple of hours to plan the ride.

The ride started in Dallas at 4am Saturday morning with riders quickly fanning out in different directions for their chosen routes. I headed west, with several bonus stops between here and and Dudley (just south of Abilene), and then a mandatory checkpoint in San Angelo. Then on to Brady, Llano, Blanco and down to San Antonio. I checked into a Best Western in San Antonio at 3:49pm, checked out at 12:30am, got a mandatory gas receipt, and headed east on I-10 to Luling, up to Lockhart, Bastrop and Taylor. From there, it was down to College Station, another mandatory checkpoint.

I blasted over to I-45, and then north a while until getting off for bonus locations in Wortham (grave of Blind Lemon Jefferson) and Corsicana. The ride back to Dallas from Corsicana was a little hairy. The cold front was blowing in, and the cross-winds on I-45 were terrible. There were some scary moments near Ennis especially, as I was having a hard time keeping the bike in my lane.

Back in Dallas, I made my last stop - the Scottish Rite Hospital - for a mandatory pic. Time was getting short, and I was worried about not making it to the finish line by noon (which would be an automatic disqualification). Before I could snap the last pic, I knocked my polaroid camera off the bike and broke it. I had to dash off to an Office Depot and buy another one. Got it, came back and got the pic, and made a mad blast to the finish line.

I crossed the finish line with approx 8 minutes to spare, and some 1,140 miles later, tired but feeling good about accomplishing something.

So why am I bitter? Well, I got DNF’d (i.e., “Did Not Finish”). Why? Because the motel I checked into couldn’t generate a receipt that showed my checkin time and checkout time. I had the clerks write it in by hand, sign and date it, and add their cell phone numbers so they could be contacted for verification. One was even a notary and added his notary info. I even called the rallymaster and explained the problem. I did some other things to document it.

All to no avail. The official scorer says DNF, and there’s no appeal. So, I rode the ride, but the official records don’t show it. I know I did it, and that’s what matters. But it's a bitter pill, nonetheless. I just picked a hotel that couldn’t produce a computer-generated time stamp on the receipt. A technical non-compliance? Yes, no question there, and that's my fault. But the spirit of the rule is to make a rider get some rest, which I did. I could have gone to a gas station and got the receipts, and spent 8 hours standing in the parking lot getting no rest, and that would have satisfied the rules. Oh well.

This is the first rally I’ve ever entered, and perhaps my last.

A bitter pill, yes. But don't let the necessity of tight rules get you down. Sounds like you had fun. Now you know the rules will not be bent. Do it again and have some more fun.

You have just experienced the reason why I don't feel like participating one :) Thanks....I feel sorry for you though :(

Jussi

:tab Hey, at least you tried. So what if they are inflexible, live and learn. Did you have fun during the rally? If so, do it again and next time make sure about the hotel before you check in. You might also consider writing a very polite letter to the rallymasters explaining the situation and ask that they reconsider theh rule for the upcoming rallies. Like you said, you met the spirit of the rule. Of course, they could decline to change it because let's face it, simple inflexible rules are easier to enforce. If you've ever been in the position of being one charged with enforcing rules, you know how hard it is to get people to follow even simple rules :roll:

If you've ever been in the position of being one charged with enforcing rules, you know how hard it is to get people to follow even simple rules

Being in charge of 100 "A-Type" pesonalities, I can testify. :mrgreen:

Despite the official docomentation, you DID make the ride in the alloted time.
Congradulations !

jetblue said:
Despite the official docomentation, you DID make the ride in the alloted time.
Congradulations !
I agree - Congrats! 1140 miles? Wow. You have my respect. :chug:

Sorry that it wasn't "official". :-?

On the bright side you have a brand new camera! Talk about your trip to the store, this well be up there . "Honey, I am running to the store to get a new camera, do you need anything?"

AWESOME Les, Congratulations :dude:

I am so jealous, sounds like a lot of fun. Don't let the judge ruin it for you, just forget about him/her.

So how did "Blue Jeans" treat you?

We'd love to see some pics :-P

:chug:

Last edited:
Did you not pay for the room with a credit card? I think that every CC reciept has to have a time and date stamp. :huh:

Gravy, that sounds like a lot of slabbin'. The main thing is that you accomplished your goal. Make up your own rally and do the same to that prick who wouldn't bend, even though you had the proof. The world is full of people who strive to rule and control others, they are weak. You are strong!

DAM

BuddhaTim said:
Did you not pay for the room with a credit card? I think that every CC reciept has to have a time and date stamp. :huh:
Buddha

I think he needed a receipt that showed both his check-in time and check-out times to verify that he spent 8 hours complying with the mandatory rest stop (that has to start by 4pm and end no sooner than 12 midnight).

Cheers! M2

Ah... my bad. I get it now. PArdon me while I scrub this big "L" off my forehead. :brainsnap

Boy, that is a bummer and it would make me bitter as well. I don't understand the interest in these endurance/mileage feats. But, why would I put a clown head for an avatar. What do I know.
:shrug:

Thanks to everyone for the encouragement and kind words. I've had a day to absorb this bitter disappointment and reflect on it a bit.

First, let me make it clear that I have no ill feelings towards the event, the Rallymasters or scorer. Those guys are riders, not bean counters. Both Allen Dye and Greg Robertson have ridden the Iron Butt. In fact, Allen finished 13th in the IBR this year - quite a feat.

Secondly, I know what a thankless job it is to run an event such as this. These guys devoted a lot of time to this rally, and I don't want to detract from that just because of personal pride. The Rally proceeds go to the Scottish Rite Hospital, and I'm proud to have contributed to that effort.

I'm just disappointed, and I'm more angry with myself than anything. In retrospect, when I found out about the hotel's inability to provide the computer-generated receipt, I should have run to the Whataburger next door and ordered a coke and got a receipt. I could have gone back after midnite for a cup of coffee and gotten another receipt. If I had done that, I wouldn't have DNF'd. So, I can just blame myself for being stupid.

I've never been a whiner, and I don't want to start now. My goals for this Rally were, in order of priority: (1) Don't die; (2) Don't wreck the bike; and (3) Don't DNF. I accomplished two of the three. And I had a good time doing it (at least until sitting at the scorer's table. :help: )

Again, thanks for the support.

Adan, ol' Blue Jeans ran like a top. This is a great bike, and I'm in love with her. And no, you can't have her back. She's mine, all mine!! :lol:

I'm telling ya... there is just something about that bike that gets under your skin...

Gravy...
My take on it is that YOU did finish so NO DNF... What you did not do is score that is a numbers thing and has nothing to do with riding.
I hope that you are not to discouraged to try again. Because altho we have never met you sound like a great guy to ride something like that with. And I want to do some rides like that bad, and would like to know that the people along on the ride are good people.

Also,,, got to ask what bike did you do the ride on?
ol'Blue Jeans for a name just has me curious.

Hairsmith, thank you for the very kind remarks. I'd love to ride with you some time. We'll have to make a point to do that one of these days (if I ever get any time off from work :angryfire ).

Here's a pic of BlueJeans:
DSCN2437.jpg

She formerly belonged to Adan (who is a super good guy, by the way). I had a Triumph Sprint that he liked, and we worked out a swap. I'm in love with this bike. I'm usually pretty fickle with my bikes, but I think this one's a keeper.

OK now I understand the attachment. I feel the same way about mine.

10008408nb.jpg

Gravy ... I've thought about trying to plan out a couple small "training" rallies to help build my skills before the next serious rally. Any interest? I was surprised at the number of people off this site who participated ... if we can come up with something to help hone the needed skills ... might help us out and maybe even get a few other people interested.

Hey Charlie, why not just organize a TWT LD rally :-P

Hairsmith - your bike is a beauty. Now, there are some people who would say that "beauty" and "1150GS" are mutually exclusive terms, but those people haven't ridden one.

Back