• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Help me with my ergos

zone

Reaction score
Hi I just bought a 07 Bandit S and love it. I just recently put on 150 miles not all at once a leisurely foliage ride a gas fill and a lunch. During the ride I noticed that my lower back was bothering me and it felt like my arms were fully extended to the bars. The bike came with a Russell Day Long seat and 1"rise and 1" back handle bar blocks from Twisted Throttle I think. I'm 5ft6" tall and was looking for any suggestions as what I should try to relieve the back soreness. I like the feel of the Russell seat but it is very thick which adds to the height. I'd like to keep it for the long rides but I'm not sure if it's the seat or the bars that are causing my back problems? I feel as though the bars can come back another inch. My concern would be I'd be sitting straighter causing more back discomfort? Any suggestions are welcomed. Larry

The Bandit riders may have some specific suggestions based on the bike's ergos. I get back soreness (might have something to do with my 62 y/o back). I bought a Dan Vessel backrest, & love it! Makes all the difference when I'm in the saddle all day.

I am also 5' 6" but my bike is the Honda NT700v. Give the bike some time. If your lower back is an issue you can either move the bars back or your butt forward or both. The bar backs are a good start. I have them on the NT. Try scooting forward on the seat, sitting closer to the neck. If that helps, you may be able to get Russell to adjust the seat. As you are not the original buyer, I am not sure what the fees would be. Russell seats tend to be bit higher than stock. I had to get used to tip toeing my bike. If the Russell was built for the owner you got the Bandit from, they may have the measurements to work from and you could possibly work with the builder of that seat.

I am also 5' 6" but my bike is the Honda NT700v. Give the bike some time. If your lower back is an issue you can either move the bars back or your butt forward or both. The bar backs are a good start. I have them on the NT. Try scooting forward on the seat, sitting closer to the neck. If that helps, you may be able to get Russell to adjust the seat. As you are not the original buyer, I am not sure what the fees would be. Russell seats tend to be bit higher than stock. I had to get used to tip toeing my bike. If the Russell was built for the owner you got the Bandit from, they may have the measurements to work from and you could possibly work with the builder of that seat.
Chuck I checked to make sure that the blocks under the seat pan were on the lowest adjustment and they were. You can raise the seat another 1"up if needed,I did try sitting forward but it seemed to defeat the purpose of the day long seat not getting up on it and comfortable. Seat also feels to be tipped forward slightly. I wasn't aware that this seat was tailored to the rider I thought the winged part of the seat was the key feature with Russell's. The original owner was tall. Thanks for the suggestions. Larry

The Bandit riders may have some specific suggestions based on the bike's ergos. I get back soreness (might have something to do with my 62 y/o back). I bought a Dan Vessel backrest, & love it! Makes all the difference when I'm in the saddle all day.

tshelfer the Russell seat has a large shelf to lean up against on the driver seat that would act as a back rest but not as high. I can't get comfortable if I'm that far back on the seat. Wish I could sit there,I think that would be the comfort part of riding with this seat. The wings on the seat are there to support your legs and I can't use them properly. I think my bars have to come back even more than the 1" that it has. This means new hoses however since they seem to be at the end of there length now. Larry

I just looked at the Russell web site and I wasn't aware that there seats were made to personal specs. I could send the seat back to them for a rebuild for 225.00 with pictures of me on the bike and seat so they can customize the foam for my measurements. Another option I'm looking at is locating a stock seat to see how the ergos would be with the stock seat in place. Stock seat hopefully not as expensive as a Russell rebuild. Then deciding if I want to rework the Russell seat in the future for trips, since I would have a stock seat for local duty. Any opinions from anyone using a Russell seat appreciated.

Update on the seat situation. I purchased a stock seat off of E-bay for 100 bucks :rider: I can flat foot now. I rode about 100 miles and my back is ok now just a little sore in my shoulders. I'm going to send the Russell seat back for an overhaul to my measurements. If any one buys a bike with a custom seat make sure you and the PO are of close height measurements so you can take advantage of it. :sun: At least I don't need it for awhile. Snow on the ground and salt on the roads here. :eek2:

Did you get you seats sorted?
On the stock seat I put the front spacers in the high spot and backs in the low. Helped a little with the forward lean.

Attachments

• ergo bandit.jpg
    ergo bandit.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 171
Back