• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

New camera help

Reaction score
I have an older Canon digital camera...the Rebel XT. This took the old San Disk Ultra II cards. While you can still get these cards. I was thinking of updating the body. Any suggestions? I was thinking of staying with Canon as we have several lenses for it.

Thx!!!

I went from Canon, to Nikon, to Olympus micro 4/3. I'd recommend at least taking a look at a couple m4/3 bodies. They are small, sturdy (many are magnesium), and some are weather-sealed, and the Oly's (and a Panasonic or two) have in-body stabilization - so you don't have to re-purchase that inside every lens.

I use the Oly Em-5 (original) and just love it. Folks are afraid of the smaller sensor size (2.0 crop), compared to the Canon and Nikon (1.5 crop); for me, that's nonsense (the gear is better than I am). Everything here is from that camera.

The OM-D EM-5 is phenomenal.
I went from Canon EOS-3 (Film) to a 30D and hated it, less keepers than EOS-3, went to Pentax K20D and it was better but again a lot of missed shots.
Went to Olympus E-30, great camera and was ok if I stuck with AF, still with manual lenses what I see is not what I got.
I wanted something where what I saw was what I got and I wanted to carry less weight, MUCH less, switch to micro 4/3 was best I've ever done, bought the EM-5 when it first came out and haven't had a desire to switch cameras since.
No mirror to get in the way of WYSIWYG, great Olympus optics, great sensor, much lighter.
Did I mention real dials that keep you from looking at the camera nonstop?

Traveling with a micro 4/3 is so much easier than with an EF kit.
You should really consider it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eric I cant help as my photo skills top out with my phones camera and it
has too many tricks and features for me to want to comprehend most of the time

Sony A6000. Best digital camera we have ever owned. Just make sure to get vintage lenses.

We are buying a Minolta SRT-101 and going to start shooting film for special ocassions.

I had to look up the Ultra II cards to see what they are. I personally wouldn't base a decision around maintaining an old storage format, given that practically everything has now standardized on the SD format. And you can easily buy 32GB of SD storage for $15 or less. Go with current standards; don't lock yourself into what may be a dying format.

As Bill suggested, if you have good lenses, buy the best camera that will use those lenses. If you're not concerned about keeping your old lenses in play, the door is wide open for any camera you choose.

Thanks everyone. Wow are using our old one still. Takes great shots. Maybe I will just buy more cards and maybe another lens.

Back