• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

2003 KLR - Complete Setup

texaspatrick

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Copied straight from my ADVrider post. Pleeease don't make me list this on Craigslist :giveup::giveup::giveup: I'd love to pass it off to someone on this forum :trust:

HQ9zh3qh.jpg

Does anyone else cringe when they read “turn key RTW” in an ad? When I read those words I look at the photos and usually think, ‘I wouldn’t ride that bike to Starbucks.’

9ZSoBHDh.jpg

I won’t say turn key RTW and you might not want to ride it to Starbucks given the paint job. But I wouldn’t hesitate to ride this bike anywhere. Even to Starbucks. Even to the remote mountains of Mexico. Or a giant loop through New Mexico, Arizona, Utah and back. To the Ozark Mountains, through Missouri and even to pick up tampons for my girlfriend. All of which it’s done. It’s ugly as ****, it’s dependable as **** and you certainly won’t have to worry about getting it stolen.

Why is this incredibly good looking guy selling this incredibly good looking motorcycle, you might be asking yourself. That’s a perfectly good question. And it’s none of your business.

ll9AmWTh.jpg

Just kidding, I’m moving to a smaller CC bike. I’ve loved just about every second of the KLR and I’m hoping the new owner will too, but I’ve got the itch for a WR. It’s taken me a lot of places, provided more than a handful of smiles and has never let me down.

About the bike…

I bought this little 2003 nearly bone stock from a dealship on June 5th, 2015, with just over 3,000 miles on the clock. I've put another 13k trouble free miles on her without a single hiccup. The PO, who was a former inmate it turns out, painted the bike the most ridiculous color scheme in the world. In his spirit, I never repainted it. I’ve put a lot of love and busted knuckles into making this bike a reliable, fun and bulletproof machine.

I have done all of the work on the bike, fully documented in my notebook, except check the valves. I left that for the pros when it was done after I hit just over 12k. Oil changes every 1,500 miles, regular service according to the shop manual and when needed.

It pains me to think about how much I’ve spent on farkles, but here is a list that I can think of (from front to back):

-Racetech front suspension
-Steel brake line
-Large 320mm EBC front rotor (not installed at the moment, but can be easily)
-Acerbis front fender
-Wolfman Fender bag
-Lexan headlight protector
-Super bright PIAA headlight
-Aftermarket smaller windscreen
-Tiny turn signals
-Barkbusters
-Protaper SE high bend bars
-Eagle Mike bar risers
-GPS cradle w/Earthmate PN-40 GPS (USA/MX maps installed)
-Eagle Mike mirror relocation bracket
-Dakar radiator/crash guards with highway pegs
-Homemade tool tube
-Moose skidplate
-Magnetic drain plug
-Doo is done
-EagleMike manual petcock
-Wolfman Rainer tank bag (with extra pockets/map pouch)
-Sargent seat
-KLX needle/shims/.22cent mod - Unmodded airbox
-Eagle Mike carb bolt upgrade kit
-Choke relocated directly to carb via Stead Engineering kit
-K&N reusable air filter
-New battery 5/3/16
-Battery Tender w/USB charger
-Complete Progressive rear suspension
-Rear sprocket has 1,200+- miles
-Happy Trails rear rack
-Wolfman panniers w/waterproof bags and bottle holster
-Laser Pro Duro muffler
-Aftermarket small turn signals
-Brighter tail light
-BBQ rack

SaDQnShh.jpg

Extras I have for the bike, that are not installed but included:
-Extra metal skidplate
-Center stand
-Hard luggage, painted to match the bike
-Rear top box, painted to match the bike
-Clutch lever
-6 stock turn signals
-320mm EBC front brake w/mounting bracket
-HUGE touring windscreen that mounts directly to faring
-TWO extra front fairings
-Horn w/bracket
-Two extra brake rotors
-Shifter, Doo tools, Kickstand (and a bunch of other tiny parts I’m tired of listing)
-Complete custom tool kit - Allen wrenches, sockets, spark plug tool, etc etc etc. Everything you would need to tear the bike down to the frame
-Clymer Manual
-Front and rear tubes
-New MotionPro clutch cable
-New MotionPro throttle cables
-New chain
-16T sprocket
-New front brakes in package
-Used rear brakes with plenty of life
-Original front fender painted to match the bike
-Extra 21/17 stock rims and complete spoke package (Supermoto dreams…)
And who knows what else I have kicking around my garage (this is off the top of my head, I’m sitting at work at the moment)

As far as maintenance goes, in the last 2,000 miles I have:
-Replaced rear sprocket
-Rebuilt both brake calipers/bled brakes
-New rear brakes
-Changed the oil/filter (oil will be changed this weekend)
-New coolant
-Air filter/box was cleaned/oiled
-Cleaned/oiled chain
-Carb was cleaned (didn’t need it, my choke cable was broke and took me a minute to find out the problem)
-New spark plug
-New front and rear tires
-Throttle play adjusted
-New fuel lines/fuel filter
-New brake fluid

y8oZaiph.jpg

This is what it looks like with the hard luggage mounted.

All that said, it does have a few issues that could, or could not, be addressed:
-There is a dent in the left side of the gas tank that the PO painted over
-The right barkbuster is missing some mounting hardware, but works fine as is. They were from another bike and are pretty beat up, but have been on the bike for the last 6,000 miles or so
-The right footpeg bolts are stripped. This is the biggest problem with the bike. This is why the center stand isn’t installed. I have a complete Helicoil kit for it, but it hasn’t budged in the last 13k miles
-The Dakar guards were bought used and are scratched and dinged up, but work just as they should

I’ll stand behind the bike 100% and I’m willing to show a potential buyer any part of the bike in finer detail. I’ll have more detailed photos available asap and can provide a video of it starting cold, hot or any other way you want.

bAGCGVih.jpg

Another with the hardbags

The KLR was my forever bike and I treated it that way. It was my first proper ADV bike after selling my XT600. I kitted it out, kept it maintained and rode it like an adult because I didn’t want to be the guy with the ****** bike, broke down in Mexico. Or stuck at Starbucks.

I’m asking $3,400 the way it sits now. Fully kitted with all the Wolfman bags, spare parts and everything listed above.

Located in Austin, Texas, I can deliver the bike anywhere in the country for a small fee. I'll also be traveling to NW Arkansas next week and I'm always looking for a reason to head to West Texas. Shipping can be arranged at your expense, but you must be willing to accept videos of the bike running and for a visual inspection so there are no surprises.

Clean clear blue Texas title in my name. Will provide Texas 130-U transfer papers, bill of sale and a spit handshake upon selling.

Milk crate not included

UmbosQXh.jpg

Last edited:
:tab My left foot peg had the same issue. I whacked a BIG rocking on the bottom of the center stand while coming down off a mountain. The impact sheared the foot peg bolts like a hot knife through hot butter. I replaced the bolts, not realizing the threads were kind of whacked as well. Later, somewhere along River Road in Big Bend NP, the foot peg finally fell off. I still don't know how I failed to notice it :scratch: However, by the time I did notice, I wasn't inclined to go back and look for it. Some other nice fellow came riding along behind me, saw it and recognized it as a KLR peg, posted up here when he got home, and mailed it back to me :lol2: I did the heli coil repair and never had an issue with it again.

My vote for the best bike ad so far this year on TWT.:clap: Great details hope she sells quick.

Lot of extras and that is a very good write up for one of my favorite bikes. If you consider parting out the 320mm front rotor, mounting bracket and MP throttle cables, I'd be interested.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did the heli coil repair and never had an issue with it again.

It's one of the things that has always been on the list, but they haven't moved since I put them back in. I bought the kit from American Bolt Co. here in Austin and just haven't done it. I'll include the kit :) If someone is interested we can do it in my driveway before you ride off. But I've never had a problem :trust:

Thanks Kickstand-prophet. I've been told I'm too honest when I'm selling bikes, but I would rather have someone know exactly what they are getting. Plus I've had it so long, I know just about all the history on the dang thing!

JoToPe - I'll let you know if it comes to that. I'll start taking stuff off and moving parts around if I still have it in a couple weeks. Gonna throw it to the hounds on Craigslist this weekend if I don't have any interest here.

--------

Also offering $100 if you refer someone to me who buys the bike. I'm drooling over the replacement right now :rider:

-------

That DR650 there is the real deal. This KLR is such a poser bike with that livery :lol2:

haha! I forgot to update the ad, I sold the bike to a kid in Killeen a few months ago. I'm sure it's running around the base up there somewhere. Basically traded it for this little guy
1UBZtpel.jpg

Mods can delete this ad!

haha! I forgot to update the ad, I sold the bike to a kid in Killeen a few months ago. I'm sure it's running around the base up there somewhere. Basically traded it for this little guy
1UBZtpel.jpg

Mods can delete this ad!
Nice! What's that little guy?

Sent from my Z982 using Tapatalk

It is indeed a wr250r. Bought it off of a fellow from the board after it had been sitting for several years. Head to the WR250r thread if you want to find out more :rider:

Back