• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

MC Camping on the Cheap

That's a personal choice. I've spotted lots of "informal" campgrounds along forest roads over the years. I don't think I've ever seen one with a toilet. So it really depends on what your priorities and comfort level.

Dispersed camping is generally allowed in NF areas; you do have to pay careful attention to local postings to be sure you're not in a no-camping area, or even on private property that backs up to NF land.

Advantages are:

- You're likely all by yourself. No nosy or noisy campground neighbors.

- You can pitch a tent, or pee for that matter, wherever you want.

- No pesky campground hosts.

- It's free!!!!!!!!!!

Disadvantages are:

- No amenities. No outhouse, no toilet paper, no toilet, no water.

- If you need help for a dead battery or whatever, you may be out of luck.

- Nobody to watch while you're out & about. Your camp site is an easy target for local thieves.

Official NF campgrounds have been around for a long time. Many were originally built as work camps during the Great Depression, by such groups as the CCC. They are historic in their own right.

Advantages are:

- Most have nicely laid out sites, level (often gravelled) tent spaces.

- Amenities in camp. Picnic tables, outhouses (and occasionally, flushers), and usually running water.

- Great vistas! The Forest Service controls the land, so they get to pick great spots for campgrounds.

- Many have campground hosts. Hosts can be extremely helpful and, occasionally, help provide emergency service.

- Pretty safe. I've NEVER had anything stolen in a NF campground.

- Many offer reserved sites. This can be a lifesaver when you know you have to arrive on a weekend.

Disadvantages are:

- They're not free. Nightly fees run anywhere from $5 to $22, depending on the campground.

- Occasionally, campground hosts are pesky and a bit authoritarian.

- Most are now run by concessionaires. Before Mem'l Day and after Labor Day, most are closed with a locked gate.

- They can be darned crowded, especially around holidays.

Here's a tip about water in Colorado campgrounds. Colorado's water board has recently gotten extremely persnickety, and has forced the National Forest Service to shut down water in some campgrounds. Given the expense of drilling new wells, they've simply become "dry camps." So call ahead & talk to the local FS office; they will give you details about campgrounds in their areas.

If you prefer free camping, there are some websites that post suggested areas. In my experience, they're not all that reliable. This one is pretty good:

https://freecampsites.net

You can also call a local FS office. They're manned by extremely friendly and helpful people who will often recommend specific areas where free camping is common and even recommended.

If you prefer a formal National Forest campground, here's a great website that provides excellent, detailed information about literally thousands of NF campgrounds. Not all, but most, NF campgrounds can be found here:

www.forestcamping.com

This site is my go-to reference when I'm looking for interesting new places to park my camping trailer.

Freecampsites.net has been great for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not going to camp there. Just camping elsewhere and going to the HF.

Going to test my $19 hammock with built in mosquito net. Using a 28L Ozark trails backpack ($9), both off Wallymart's dot com. The straps look lame but hey, they were free with the hammock.

Planning on sleeping in the tent but going to test the hammock. Need to find two trees just the right distance apart.

For about the third time in a row it rained on us while camping. That's OK but I am starting to want a better way to keep gear dry.

Anyone build a vestibule onto their tent with a tarp? It would have to withstand thunderstorms cause I usually don't bug out for weather unless we are already planning to leave.

Some tents have this built in but my cheap Academy $25 tent barely has a rain fly.

You could do that with a tarp; never tried it. About 3 years ago, I invested in a more expensive (about $150, I believe) tent that I really love. It has a vestibule at both ends. Handy, because I can put bulky stuff at one end, and put my shoes at the other for the specific purpose of slipping out the back at 0-dark-30 to pee.

I just can't see moving up to a better tent since this one is working well and shows no signs of aging. It was out back drying from the weekend rain at Harvest Classic and I just went over it with seam sealer. Probably 3 years old and at this rate it will last a long time.

I think I can just tie one end of the tarp over the top but with the rain fly there is nothing on the tent to attach to.

In some camp sites, if the trees line up right I will make a shelter. I string a rope (550 cord) over the picnic table, and using a little more rope, tarp clips, and tent stakes make a sun / rain shelter. At night or if the weather looks bad I will move the tarp corners to the table and add a few more clips on the end to try and shelter gear from the rain and keep it off the ground. Tarp is an 8X8 Marmot tent footprint picked up in a bin at Backwoods for 5.00. Cheap Camping.

Harbor Freight LED.jpgMan! Finally bought something at Harbor Freight I can brag on. I have had it a month and use it every night to take dog out. It woks better and longer and charges faster than my 60 dollar one I ran over. It is 19.99 and worth every penny. Will shine at least a 100 yards and only 3 watts watts. It is a narrow beam though, and light weight and I have used it 30 minutes at a time. I bet it would go a couple hours. It may have been 14.95 I forgot but cheap and good and I'm going to get another for the truck since it has 12 volt and 120 volt chargers
Taylor Texas has a new huge Harbor Freight with no lines.

Last edited:
SL350, you could probably score a small one man tent and it would pack smaller than most tarps do, or at least the same size. Then use that one for your gear. I considered this on my recent trip as I was using my hammock but had brought along my 1 man tent just in case. As it turned out there was a nice barn to store my stuff in so the tent stayed packed.

Tested 91% alcohol against a can of denatured alcohol today in the alcohol stove and found the soot problem eliminated by using denatured. If you don't like soot, denatured alcohol is your friend.

Next test is to cook a burger without a frying pan on an alcohol stove. Just don't want to clean it. Thinking some version of foil wrapped. wish I could cook two at the same time without a frying pan or a mess of any kind.

Tested 91% alcohol against a can of denatured alcohol today in the alcohol stove and found the soot problem eliminated by using denatured. If you don't like soot, denatured alcohol is your friend.

Next test is to cook a burger without a frying pan on an alcohol stove. Just don't want to clean it. Thinking some version of foil wrapped. wish I could cook two at the same time without a frying pan or a mess of any kind.

Curious, how do you go camping where you would need a compact stove but have fresh hamburger to cook?

I don't think I've actually cooked anything on my stove. Boiled water and warmed things up only. Any real cooking or grilling is always over a wood fire. I've never camped where I couldn't gather enough dry wood to make a fire.

Getting tired of the boiled water meals. Great for tea, coffee, and even soups.

I want a burger without the time and trouble of a wood fire and that works with a skillet. But it makes a greasy mess.

No problem with the ground meat. I bring a small lunch cooler with a blue ice in it. If the beef is for day 1, it will keep all day. If it is for day two, I freeze the meat.

Getting tired of the boiled water meals. Great for tea, coffee, and even soups.

I want a burger without the time and trouble of a wood fire and that works with a skillet. But it makes a greasy mess.

No problem with the ground meat. I bring a small lunch cooler with a blue ice in it. If the beef is for day 1, it will keep all day. If it is for day two, I freeze the meat.

Agreed boiled water meals are terrible, I'll leave them for the backpackers where weight is a bigger concern. I like the vacuum sealed pouches and containers that are ready to eat just warm. Cook a little rice or just eat with crackers.

I never pack a cooler so wasn't thinking anyone did for moto camping. But my trips are extended not just weekends so blue ice is not an option.

Glad I stumbled upon this thread! I've done a bit of MC camping locally and while going out of state. One of my favorite locations has been the "Kickstand Lodge" close to the tail of the dragon. Talk about cheap!!! Pitch a tent ANYWHERE in the property and since it is in a dry county, you can't buy any alcohol, but they have a fully stocked communal bar that accepts donations. The owner goes to the next county every few days to stock up. Also, you are welcome to buy food at the supermarket close by and store it in their fridge. Everybody respects your stuff and you are welcome to use their kitchen and the assortment of outdoor grills and charcoal that are available.

Get this, I spent 4 nights there and paid $20 total. Plus a very large "donation" for partaking in post-ride beverages every evening.

Great place if you ever have a chance to visit. Oh, and don't forget to ask for "Mo"...you'll see why....

I'm trying to rebuild much of my camping kit into something I can ride to and then backpack 4 or 5 miles. For me, that means light. Here's what I have put together so far:

Ozark Trail 28L back pack from Walmart for $9. has a pocket for a water bladder too.

Blue Sky Mosquito Hammock, 1.34 lb $19 at Wallmart

Amazon tiny propane/butane stove Amaxon $10

Gas can for it

Home made cook can (recycled coffee can)

Small BIC lighter

$4 Walmart multi tool (just bought 3 for cheap Christmas gifts)

Free tarp from Harbor Freight

Hammock straps recycled from an old set of ratchet straps retired from MC tie downs.

$1 flashlight from Walmart

An empty Gatorade bottle for water that fits nicely into the coffee can pot

$6 for 50 ft paracord for a ridgeline and tarp attachments.

grocery bags inside the pack to keep items dry and seperated

A baggy with a couple of soap slivers

A baggy with a few antacids, band aids, Polysporum ($3), and a few other medical
items

I plan on adding a good tarp to go over the hammock for rain protection. The Harbor freight tarp is too small and is intended for a ground cloth. Need a pillow too.

If this works for those long hikes into backpacking only campgrounds like Enchanted Rock near Fredericksburg, it might be a great cheap bike camping kit.

First task has been to learn how to put up a hammock with no trees. Sounds odd but it does offer mosquito protection like a tent.

I'm trying to rebuild much of my camping kit into something I can ride to and then backpack 4 or 5 miles.

I LOVE this idea. Ride in, then hike in further for an overnight, then back out the next day. Perfect for the more remote parts of Big Bend.

For me, I'd probably skip all the cooking stuff if it's just one night. My current go-to camp meals are pre-made veggie tacos / burritos. Make 'em dry (potato, egg, cheese, onion, peppers, beans, etc) and carry hot sauce. These work breakfast/lunch/dinner, wrap each in foil and stick in a ziplock. Skip the egg if you're worried about spoilage on the 2nd day (I get nervous on day 3).

That, plus cold-brew coffee, and I'm a happy camper.

This all requires that $20 hammock to not fall apart and actually put me to sleep. Perhaps we start a thread on hammock reviews? SL350: how many nights do you have in it? Think it'll stand up to use over time?

First task has been to learn how to put up a hammock with no trees. Sounds odd but it does offer mosquito protection like a tent.

So, does that mean laying it on the ground and supporting the net somehow to make a tent-like thing? Without a sleeping bag, that might be mighty uncomfortable..

I'm a newbie to camping off a bike and considering getting some inexpensive gear to see how it goes and whether my back can take sleeping on the ground.

I found a tent that looks inexpensive but has features I think I like

Toogh Tent

But I'm concerned it may be too bulky. What are your thoughts?

This all requires that $20 hammock to not fall apart and actually put me to sleep. Perhaps we start a thread on hammock reviews? SL350: how many nights do you have in it? Think it'll stand up to use over time?

So, does that mean laying it on the ground and supporting the net somehow to make a tent-like thing? Without a sleeping bag, that might be mighty uncomfortable..

No nights in it as I just got it. But I follow a Youtube channel where the guy has been using that same one for years. Until now I have used a cheap tarp and hung it with a couple tie down straps. That works but does not have a mosquito barrier.

The ground use of a hammock works just like a bivvy. It would not need to support your weight.

I don't know how I missed your post.

I have the Eureka BackCountry 1. It packs up super duper small, but as it's only a 1 man tent, there's not a lot of room for gear and stuff in there with you. Thankfully I camp currently off an FJR, so when my camping gear is unloaded I can put my riding gear in the luggage. Of course, since I have an FJR, I could carry a slightly larger tent. This will all come into play when I start camping off the DRZ.

I'd make sure you at least get a 2 man tent. The packed bulk isn't much more, and you get a lot more room for you and your stuff.

Yeah, I'm by no means 'petite' so a minimum 2 man or larger tent for me. Anything smaller would feel like a really thin sleeping bag.

Which reminds me, I need a sleeping bag too......

Yeah, I'm by no means 'petite' so a minimum 2 man or larger tent for me. Anything smaller would feel like a really thin sleeping bag.

Which reminds me, I need a sleeping bag too......

I have the Eureka Midori 2 (2 man tent). It packs up pretty small and I was able to fit it, a camp chair, inflatable pad, and inflatable pillow into ONE of my 36L saddlebags when I had my vstrom. The other saddlebag had my food and tools. I used a $10 walmart waterproof bag for my sleeping bag and strapped that to the passenger seat.

I don't have a vstrom now, but I bought a used versys just for quick in city rides and camping specifically since my FJR is solely dedicated to long distance trips and rallies. I decided to get a "Giant Loop" luggage system for the versys since I did not want to have saddlebags. That thing is freaking HUGE. I pack everything into that bag and have a little room to spare. You can also strap additional luggage to the Giant loop if needed. Very versatile indeed.

Back